Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 10:12:19 AM EDT
They both appear to be the same but just "look" differently.
Which (if any) is better for target shooting and which (if any) has better accuracy?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Both will be accurate.

Differences depend on the type of match.

Open Class High Power the guys will use 'space rifles' that will look much like varmint rigs and would work fairly well.  Though most varminters prefer lighter rounds which work best with 1:12-1:10 twist rates (1:9 also being ok).  The Match rifles tend to shoot heavy match bullets which require a 1:8 to 1:7 twist rate.

Varmint rigs should be flattop for optimal mounting of the Scope.  Often there is no front sight as its not needed.  Barrel is usually free floated for optimal consistancy and a sling stud is install so you can use a bipod with it.

Service Rifle class match rifles look like M16A2s (fixed carry handle).  You could press one into varmint service; but the optics would be mounted a bit high, and the barrel twist would be faster than optimal (see above).

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Varmint guns are generally 0-300m guns that must be very accurate with lightly-constructed varmint bullets.

"Match" rifles are generally set up for longer distances, as much as 1000m.  
View Quote

Based on this is it safe to say at 100 yards the accuracy would be the same? If the accuracy is the same, I would rather get a Match rifle and not limit myself to 300 yards. Who knows when, but someday I would love to try my hand at 1000 m.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top