Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/8/2005 4:15:24 AM EST
I have eight Tango Down Battlegrips in black and OD from back in the day when they used to be sold in those McDonald's apple pie boxes. I recently bought two new production TD Battlegrips and noticed that there are gaps between the duckbill and the trigger guard. Has anyone noticed this? I don't have any gaps whatsoever with any of the older grips. The gaps aren't huge, mind you, and isn't that big of a deal as they still function fine. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

One of the new grips is on a Colt receiver, the other one is on a Mega.

One is OD and one is Tan.

I got both from two different vendors on these boards.

I tightened the grips down as hard as I could as far as they would go.

The evidence would lead me to think they widened the tolerances a bit on the duckbill so they would fit on a wider variety of receviers. Any input?
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 4:49:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/8/2005 5:40:30 AM EST by DasRonin]
I am guessing there are changes in the specs. I have read some who have had problems with fit. I put one on an Eagle and one on a RRA. I had to reduce the diameter of the screw head to make it fit the lower properly. At first I thought the lower was out of spec, until the same thing happened on the RRA lower.

One more thing... Yes, I also used Magpul trigger guards on both builds, and I also had to modify the duckbill to get the grip to fit properly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:07:29 AM EST
Just a guess: TD may have changed the design so it's easier to install on lowers that have a Magpul extended trigger guard or similar trigger guards. I also have one of the older Battlegrips and found it is a tight fit when installed over the Magpul trigger guard. Again, just a guess.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:26:52 AM EST
I recently got one of the older tangodown's, and it fits my lmt lower alot better than the newer one I had on it before. The newer one I had to modify the gripscrew hole so it would mount flush against the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 10:50:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4-guy:
Just a guess: TD may have changed the design so it's easier to install on lowers that have a Magpul extended trigger guard or similar trigger guards. I also have one of the older Battlegrips and found it is a tight fit when installed over the Magpul trigger guard. Again, just a guess.

I can't confirm that this is the reason, but I can confirm that the TD grip will work with the MP trigger guard without modification.

I'll try to find out if anything changed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 10:53:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 3:35:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By SMGLee:
Only changes ever made with the Tangodown Battle Grip is the addition of the texture on the surface. No grip angle or spec are alter otherwise.

Thanks for the info Chen. It's just odd that my two new ones don't fit at all like the oher ones I have.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:33:28 AM EST
Same on my OD. Small gap and I had to file just a little off the front at an angle to fit with the TD trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:03:59 AM EST
Variations in matials used from the "Apple Pie Box" days and now may be the reason. Slightly different shrink rate and all that mumbo jumbo.
I do miss the Apple Pie Boxes though
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:54:01 PM EST
No problems here. Got my pie from BowersTactical on the EE.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:29:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kisara:
tinyurl.com/5vcgb

Could be the best post of the month!

And +1 for Bowers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:13:40 AM EST

tinyurl.com/5vcgb

CLASSIC! now someone needs a McDonalds Apple Pie bow with a BG-16 in it!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:15:06 AM EST
that's Apple Pie Box..I ment
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:22:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By rastamon:

tinyurl.com/5vcgb

CLASSIC! now someone needs a McDonalds Apple Pie bow with a BG-16 in it!

Sounds like a job for Kisara!

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:55:48 AM EST
Kisara, excellent pic, dude! Very funny!

I too miss the apple pie boxes. It may be of no consequence to the actual product, but I hate the new plastic packaging in every way. I also preferred the white cardboard boxes that the vertical grips used to come in.

Well, anyway, I'd like to hear from Armrer about the gap issue. I'd like to hear his input.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:13:50 AM EST
Gentlemen,

First, too funny on the hot apple pie!

We considered doing the vertical grip in a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich container, etc.....

Seriously(?), our BG-16 grip hasn't changed since day 1, with the exception of the binary texture.

The gap is caused by the grip pocket/etc. being machined a little low on the lower receiver.

Lower receivers begin life as forged ingots with the compound curves already in place. They are placed in a machining center and receive the magwell broach first, with all other cuts indexing off that. The placement of the ingot in the center can vary a small degree, as they are a forged(not machined) form. That's why there is a small difference from receiver to receiver. The relationship of all the cuts stay true to each other, but 'wander' together slightly on each ingot. Hence some have a gap, others don't. That's also why the 'step' on some backstraps, and not on others. We designed the grip to be flush or hang off slightly, instead of the receiver hanging over, which is a sharp metallic edge.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:07:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By ARMRER:
Gentlemen,

First, too funny on the hot apple pie!

We considered doing the vertical grip in a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich container, etc.....

Seriously(?), our BG-16 grip hasn't changed since day 1, with the exception of the binary texture.

The gap is caused by the grip pocket/etc. being machined a little low on the lower receiver.

Lower receivers begin life as forged ingots with the compound curves already in place. They are placed in a machining center and receive the magwell broach first, with all other cuts indexing off that. The placement of the ingot in the center can vary a small degree, as they are a forged(not machined) form. That's why there is a small difference from receiver to receiver. The relationship of all the cuts stay true to each other, but 'wander' together slightly on each ingot. Hence some have a gap, others don't. That's also why the 'step' on some backstraps, and not on others. We designed the grip to be flush or hang off slightly, instead of the receiver hanging over, which is a sharp metallic edge.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

A cheesesteak version Count me in!!

Thanks for the straight scoop..........

Top Top