Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 3:37:15 AM EDT
I used the search but it only goes back 3 months. Is there and archive search

Where can I  find the differences and dimensions for both these rails

I get real confused when ring and mount advertisers/manufacturers state "wiil fit Weaver style and Picatinny Rails".

Thanks

Dan
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Meltdown.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I used the search but it only goes back 3 months. Is there and archive search

Yes, see that button next to 'Seach' marked 'Archive'?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI on that same note, Oly made some early flattop uppers with a Weaver rail. Some of them are still floating around. Not sure of the serial range. I got one and thought I had an out of spec upper but later found out it was a weaver rail. Oly swapped it out for me pretty cheap. Nice folks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Forest. I looked right at it but didn't see it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Nobody likes a smartass....
Actually, the original clue was when I tried to slide an arms swan sleeve onto it (and onto a RIS).
Seems they didn't line up very well....hmmmm...I did a little head scratching, then called Oly.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got one and thought I had an out of spec upper but later found out it was a weaver rail.

that fact that is was half and inch higher than every other flattop clued you in huh?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
This ties into what we were going over in the topic below:

Scope mount question

The big issue being, what constitutes a “Picatinny Rail”, and probably as importantly what constitutes a “Picatinny Mount”.

Per that discussion, there are a lot of products floating around out there that are advertised as “Picatinny”, but in reality they are probably not meeting the true “Picatinny Spec”.

The issue on some rails is that the spacing between the recoil grooves is not consistent and back-to-back, and some have a channel or groove cut down the middle. In my (humble) opinion these rails are not “Picatinny Spec” and should not be marked or advertised as such. What do you guys think?

The issue on some mounts, is that the recoil tab does not run across the full length of the mount. In the case of the LaRue mounts, the recoil tab is only on the center of the mount. I am not real sure that this is an issue because I believe on a true “Picatinny Rail” the tab does not need to run across the full length, you will only have a problem if you are using one of the rails that has the channel or groove cut down the center and in my opinion is not to Picatinny Spec.

To be honest I have not been able to find anything on the “Mount Specs”, only the rail specs as outlined in MIL-STD-1913. As such I am not sure if there is a “Picatinny Mount Spec” that states that the recoil tab has to run across the full length of the mount. Can someone shed some light on the “Mount Specs”, if they do exist?

The big issue I have with this is that I purchase a lot of my items off of the internet, so I am relying on the word that it is to “Picatinny Spec”, which as it turns out is not always the case.

Oh well, I guess that is one of the reasons why Dremel Tools exist.

Thanks, Good Luck,
“Capt Richardson”
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top