Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/1/2004 9:25:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 2:13:46 PM EST by JosephR]
I traded some old 10 round glock magazines for a dpms chrome lined M4 profile barrel that had a miculek brake on the end of the 14.5" barrel. Well, I wanted to cut/drill out the pin that should have been there and ended up finding out too late that the break doesn't have much meat in the threaded end and i cut right into the barrel threads AND made a 1/8" or so slit in the very end of the barrel.

Did I totally ruin this barrel? I was digging for a pin that was never there. after i did the cutting, i was able to unscrew the brake from the end of the barrel. the barrel and the brake did not show any signs of lock tite or solder. i could not find any evidence of a pin either. what the hell does dpms do with these things?

it's a .223 marked barrel and i didn't think about it 'til i got it. i would have like a 5.56

now i've got this 14.5" barrel in a box under my bed. i am breading any SBR laws by having this barrel with notihing attached to it except for the barrel nut, delta ring and front sight block??

thanks.

joe
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:01:33 AM EST
You're not violating any laws as long as it's not on your rifle. If you didn't get all the way down to the bore, it'll still shoot. The big question is, did you screw up the threads bad enough that you can't thread anything else onto it?

Take another brake, comp. or FH and see if you can thread it all the way onto the barrel. If you can, it's not an issue. If you can't, take it somewhere and see if they can clean up the threads.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:08:25 AM EST
the threads are perfectly intact even up to the cut. the cut was clean. the 1/8" is how much of my bore was cut!!!

i just need to know if this will ruin the ballistics of the bullet/barrel? i think it would work like a funky brake and move something the wrong way. it will be covered by a FS so it won't do much to raise the barrel during a shot, but i have a feeling my homemade'rifling' is gonna ruin it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:15:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By JosephR:
the threads are perfectly intact even up to the cut. the cut was clean. the 1/8" is how much of my bore was cut!!!

If you've cut into the bore, then you've probably screwed it up. You might get someone to cut it down, recrown, and thread the barrell for you. Then you could either register it as an SBR or get a long Flash hider for it...

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:19:21 AM EST
Can you post a pic of the results?

I'd recommend cutting and re-crowning. Just how long (along the boreline) is your mishap and everything in front of it to the crown?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:33:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 10:40:17 AM EST by JosephR]
in front of the crown? i thought the crown was the depression into the very end of the barrel looking at it from the business end.

it can't be described any more than i have.

ETA- the brake is gone. i was able to unscrew it. no lock-tite, no solder
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:27:53 PM EST
"Up to the crown". How much between the very end of the barrel and the rear-most part of the damage?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:13:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 10:07:07 AM EST by JosephR]
6 threads or so...

well, the cut isn't as bad as it looks. only the first 5 or 6 threads were cut through into the barrel, the rest of the cut wasn't even close to

edited to remove the pictures. they suck anyway.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:42:26 PM EST
Pics don't work...
Top Top