Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 8:45:03 PM EDT
Ive never bought rifle parts before, but i just bought a new frontier armory stripped lower (he called it carbon, but i'm pretty certain its polymer). Never even heard of this before, or built a rifle, but he threw in 2 30 rd mags, 1 20 rd, and 60 rds of gold dot match for 75 bucks. I think i did pretty ok, but maybe not. Anyone have any input, or any thoughts on this lower?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of mags?
The only polymer lower worth buying is CavArms/GWACS.
So with that said it's a poly lower not named CavArms or GWACS, so yes did get hosed lol.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
50$ worth of mags and ammo with a (albeit crappy) polymer lower for 75.  not terrible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
not horrible

at worst make yourself a dedicated .22 out of it

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you got a decent deal. You can search the forum about the polymer lowers and you will see things go both ways as to their value.    

My take is, build it, shoot it and if it breaks your only out around $25 to $30, or a trip the movies and pop corn and drink.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing wrong with that new frontier lower is the bashers opinion of it.  I have 2 and no problems with them. Also have 2 forged lowers. You got a great deal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
only one way to find out. Build it and shoot it.

FYI, PSA has blem forged lowers for 59.99.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not horrible

View Quote

This.  A dedicated .22 is a good use of a polymer upper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I would look at it like this:
You bought 3 mags and a box of ammo for $75, and got a polymer lower included for free.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The only thing wrong with that new frontier lower is the bashers opinion of it.  I have 2 and no problems with them. Also have 2 forged lowers. You got a great deal.

View Quote

Agreed, I have one myself and had no problems with it
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
build the polymer lower (I have 2 of those and they aren't bad but will require dome minor trimming/reaming)
with some cheap PSA lower parts and a cheap upper and have yourself a SHTF rifle for near free.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
not horrible

View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate the feedback, both positive and a little negative! I had never heard of the brand either until i googled it. I would love to build it up, and i actually considered a dedicated .22, just have to weigh cost options at this point. I've never built an AR, so this will definately be an adventure. Any tips on where to look for lower build kits and uppers? cost is a huge factor for me. Also, for those that care, the  2 30 rd mags i got are DSG, with brown magpul followers installed, and the "20 round" is actually a 10-round blocked bushmaster mag. Its ok with me though, as i didnt have one of those before, and wanted a 10 round mag for hunting anyway. So as long as its reliable, i'm happy happy happy. So now where do i start?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
not horrible

View Quote

This is what I would do.  Polymer lowers don't hold up well to a 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#14]
For your lower parts kit check out palmetto state armory.  You get a basic lpk a basic milspec trigger a magpul expandable stock bufer tube etc and your grip for 109.  Then your lower would be done for fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I appreciate the feedback, both positive and a little negative! I had never heard of the brand either until i googled it. I would love to build it up, and i actually considered a dedicated .22, just have to weigh cost options at this point. I've never built an AR, so this will definately be an adventure. Any tips on where to look for lower build kits and uppers? cost is a huge factor for me. Also, for those that care, the  2 30 rd mags i got are DSG, with brown magpul followers installed, and the "20 round" is actually a 10-round blocked bushmaster mag. Its ok with me though, as i didnt have one of those before, and wanted a 10 round mag for hunting anyway. So as long as its reliable, i'm happy happy happy. So now where do i start?
View Quote
I have had good luck with Palmetto State Armory kits and parts.  If you watch their site frequently, you can piece together a standard style kit fairly cheaply.  

If you want, PM me for more info.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Excellent. I looked at the PSA website, and will do more research, but that option looks great. If i buy a complete upper from them, or anyone else online for that matter, does it have to be shipped to a dealer? which parts of the weapon have to be shipped through a dealer? or maybe just complete weapons. like i said, I've never purchased parts online like this, other than magazines and whatnot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Excellent. I looked at the PSA website, and will do more research, but that option looks great. If i buy a complete upper from them, or anyone else online for that matter, does it have to be shipped to a dealer? which parts of the weapon have to be shipped through a dealer? or maybe just complete weapons. like i said, I've never purchased parts online like this, other than magazines and whatnot.
View Quote

Its the lower (with serial number) that gets transfered through a FFL.  Parts, uppers, and kits without the lower can get shipped to you direct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top