Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 11:48:40 PM EDT
I have seen a lot of talk about Mil-spec Buffer tubes and Non-milspec.  Especially when adding new collapsable stocks like Vltor or Crane.  What is the difference in actual measerments?
hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the actual numbers. I'll try to find them for you. But basically you're talking about the outside diameter of the tube. The Mil-Spec tube is slightly smaller.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
keep in mind that the buffer is build for the tube and the spring.
you have to keep them together and not mix and match.

but then again.  some folks make special buffers like extra heavy etc. buffers to solve issues with some problem child ARs
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC   Colt/mil-spec = 1.148
         non mil-spec = 1.165

Mike
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
*Colt, LMT, and CMT use Milspec buffer tubes.

*RRA, Bushmaster, Armalite, etc. use the NON-Milspec tubes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the information.  I was beginning to wonder if the buffer tube thing was a marketing gag by some of these companies, just so you would spend the extra money for their parts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually the mil-spec Stag/CMT is cheaper then the non-spec Bushmaster. $65 vs $99.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
keep in mind that the buffer is build for the tube and the spring.
you have to keep them together and not mix and match.

but then again.  some folks make special buffers like extra heavy etc. buffers to solve issues with some problem child ARs

If you are saying that the buffer and spring are not interchangable, then you are wrong.

H, H2, 9mm have nothing to do with the buffer tube dimensions. (they are both the same inner diameters).
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]
seems I answer this like once a week... which is good, because I never have to search past 30 days to find it again

Buffer Tubes

I should take some pictures and do a "Receiver Extension Tube Primer"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top