Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:54:21 AM EDT
Do they all turn back to the 6/3 mark when adjusting for max elevation? I think mongo said that lesser assemblies will not have the slot milled long enough.

Well I have the new RRA catalog and they're selling a $135 true NM detach carry handle that can go to 600 yd. Does that mean prior to this, all 6/3 wheels really just turned to "5" ?

I'm looking at my "com-spec" DPMS DCH, and its using all the real parts (it's sure as heck not Leapers/airsoft junk) except it will not go past "5" when you do the IBZ. I looked at the sight base and if you milled that slot anymore, it won't be a slot anymore.

I need some clarification on this. Do all DCH's w/ the 6/3 wheel adjust out to 600 yd?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#1]
My RRA detachable handle is not a NM and it can spin all the way up to 6 and a couple clicks past actually.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have it set up for the IBZ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#3]
isn't 6/3 for a M4 barrel because of the decrease in max eff. range?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do they all turn back to the 6/3 mark when adjusting for max elevation? I think mongo said that lesser assemblies will not have the slot milled long enough.

Well I have the new RRA catalog and they're selling a $135 true NM detach carry handle that can go to 600 yd. Does that mean prior to this, all 6/3 wheels really just turned to "5" ?

It's probably a 1/2 or 1/4 minute assemply that has enough elevation to cover heavyweight bullets out to the 600 yd line.  I believe they include enough elevation for even a competitor who uses a six o'clock hold (another 3 minutes if my math is correct).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's 6/3 instead of 8/3 because on the detachable handle the threaded shaft can only go down to the top of the flat-top whereas in the A2 receiver it can be longer.  

Quoted:
It's probably a 1/2 or 1/4 minute assemply that has enough elevation to cover heavyweight bullets out to the 600 yd line.  I believe they include enough elevation for even a competitor who uses a six o'clock hold (another 3 minutes if my math is correct).

6 o'clock vs. center would be done at the front sight when zeroing.  IIRC the High Power guys say the detachable handles don't have enough adjustment to go all the way to the 600yd line.  Maybe they're using a coarser thread to get more per revolution, but if the shaft isn't long enough I don't see how that would help.  My thought would be that an "NM" handle just has the wheel numbered in clicks instead of yards.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They are for both M4s & M16A4s.  It only goes to 600M becuase the screw the drum turns on isn't as long as the one in the fixed handle.

BTW the max effective range of the M16A4 against a point target is only 550M - it's listed as 500M for the M4.  Both are well within the 600M capability of the detached handle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 6/3 instead of 8/3 because on the detachable handle the threaded shaft can only go down to the top of the flat-top whereas in the A2 receiver it can be longer.  

Quoted:

6 o'clock vs. center would be done at the front sight when zeroing.  IIRC the High Power guys say the detachable handles don't have enough adjustment to go all the way to the 600yd line.  Maybe they're using a coarser thread to get more per revolution, but if the shaft isn't long enough I don't see how that would help.  My thought would be that an "NM" handle just has the wheel numbered in clicks instead of yards.

Nationalmatch.us has a thread on this topic and it said that DCH have plenty of elevation to get to 600, something like 28 minutes IIRC.  The only issue would be the hold used, 6 o'clock, COM or top of frame.  The only time they had to mess with the front post was getting out 1,000 yds with 90 VLKs and such.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
How do I get to the "6" on the DCH? Do I have to get the Colt/Mil-Spec handle because the rear sight sits taller than normal (requires taller front post or F FSB)?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How do I get to the "6" on the DCH?

You rotate past 5 then you're at 6.  No problem on my Bushy handles.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My rear sight base must not be milled enough or something. With the IBZ, I cannot go past 5 (exactly 5). It's a DPMS DCH. I don't really mind too much since its on a M4gery (16" barrel).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My rear sight base must not be milled enough or something. With the IBZ, I cannot go past 5 (exactly 5). It's a DPMS DCH. I don't really mind too much since its on a M4gery (16" barrel).

And people wonder why I'll only buy parts from certain AR manufacturers...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And people wonder why I'll only buy parts from certain AR manufacturers...

I don't plan on taking 600 yd shots using A2 iron sights, so I guess the $50-$60 I saved wasn't too bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't plan on taking 600 yd shots using A2 iron sights, so I guess the $50-$60 I saved wasn't too bad.

Maybe, but ya gotta wonder what other corners did they cut? (BTW how is a $89.95 DPMS carry handle $50-$60 cheaper than $116.95 Bushmaster unit?).  Use the EE it's your friend (I just sold a Bushmaster DCH for $65 in the EE).

But as long as it meets your needs & expectations.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, but ya gotta wonder what other corners did they cut? (BTW how is a $89.95 DPMS carry handle $50-$60 cheaper than $116.95 Bushmaster unit?).  Use the EE it's your friend (I just sold a Bushmaster DCH for $65 in the EE).

Dealer pricing for the DPMS DCH is $66. I've looked through the EE from time to time and rarely see any open Bushmaster DCH sales, they're usually sold/SPF very quickly
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dealer pricing for the DPMS DCH is $66. I've looked through the EE from time to time and rarely see any open Bushmaster DCH sales, they're usually sold/SPF very quickly

You are not looking hard enough.  New Colt and Bushy handles sell almost everday on here for $60 to $70.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#16]
My other AR (24" NM HBAR) needs a good DCH that turns to "6". I'm looking now but none of the current people selling Bushmaster DCHs are responding. I'll give it some more time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nationalmatch.us has a thread on this topic and it said that DCH have plenty of elevation to get to 600, something like 28 minutes IIRC.  The only issue would be the hold used, 6 o'clock, COM or top of frame.  The only time they had to mess with the front post was getting out 1,000 yds with 90 VLKs and such.

I meant that regardless of whether you used 6 o'clock or center hold that wouldn't affect the rear sight adjustments since you'd be using the same hold at each distance.  You'd adjust the front sight to zero to hit in the center with whichever hold you were using.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I meant that regardless of whether you used 6 o'clock or center hold that wouldn't affect the rear sight adjustments since you'd be using the same hold at each distance.  

Yes you use the same hold - but the offset is different as the black area size is adjusted so stays the same size in terms of MOA.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a DPMS 6/3 fixed rear sight, no carry handle. I could not get the knob to turn very far. I don't remember where it stopped. I just know DPMS told me tough toenails that's the way it was, so I sold it and went with an LMT.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I meant that regardless of whether you used 6 o'clock or center hold that wouldn't affect the rear sight adjustments since you'd be using the same hold at each distance.  

Yes you use the same hold - but the offset is different as the black area size is adjusted so stays the same size in terms of MOA.

Then wouldn't your front sight adjustment of N/2 MOA from 6 o'clock to center also stay the same?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#21]
My Bushmaster 6/3 DCH set at the IBZ will go all the way around to the 4 again. My LMT 6/3 BUIS set at the IBZ will go all the way around to the 5 again.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I asked RRA to send me a close up picture of there NEW NM carry handle.
  it,s saids in there catalog it,s a true 0 to 600yard capable carry handle

it would be nice to see the elevation numbers on carry handles listed  -
1hundred  through 6 hundred  ---  the 3/8  or 3/6  on the wheels still confuse me to this day.  

I really like the rear sights on my buddys M14 rifle - it gives you 100 yard increments

any info would be very helpful
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#23]
DPMS A2 DCH set, the arrow points towards the contact point between the windage knob and elevation index. They actually rub just a little.

They are all in the highest position ("5") with the IBZ, while the photo with the arrow was shown with the rear sight in the bottom position (-4 clicks from 6/3).

This is a photo of the Leapers DCH I have:

Note that the thread pitch is totally different.

Both of my DPMS DCH's exhibit the same problem (won't go higher than "5").
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top