Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 11:01:50 AM EDT
Have read that it is important to have a balanced rifle and as I am studying up to an upper build, of course I would like a balanced rifle.  From what I have heard, the ideal balance point is at the Delta ring. So have a few questions:

Receiver and Lower (R/L).  Reloaders know there are weight differences in cartridges, are there significant variances in weight of the R/L by manufacturers, by how it was forged or milled, by metal used.  Would heavier R/L have advantages over a lighter one for balance?  

Ok, barrels and HG’s and sights.  Is there a rule of thumb as to combining these as it relates to balance?  Am looking at a 200 yd accurate 16” upper build and would like a rifle HG on it.

Stocks, CAR… oh man this is getting so complicated.  Rather than buying and selling testing parts is there an easy way to balance a rifle prebuild?  My DCM is easy to balance, by adding lead.  But I would like light and accurate without lead.

Any comments or examples by experienced “balancers” would be appreciated… thanks

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I just completed an urban rifle course where we schleped our guns from 8:00 am until 9:30 pm.  That is a LONG day with a rifle.

I came away from that with two opinions.  #1  Lighter is better, period.  #2  The farther rearward the center of gravity, the better.  

I sent my 16" SL barrel off to be shortened, and I'm taking everything off the gun that isn't esstential for its mission.  Nothing is being overlooked, buttstock, forestock, light, mags, sling, optics, sightes, erverything.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If the rifle is unusually heavy, balance would be something to consider. but not here.  Simply because it is a magazine fed weapon, there can be no fixed balance point.  If you balance it with no magazine, a fully-loaded mag will dramatically alter that balance.  Balance it will a full mag and that balance point will move forward with every round fired. Balance it with a 30-round mag and a 10 round mag or 5 round mag or Beta mag will render that useless.

Balancing and adding weight for recoil mitigation or steadiness are two different things, but truly balancing an AR is chasing your tail.  Waste of time and effort.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top