Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/19/2004 4:44:10 PM EST
Hello. Im a newb to the forums. I am TDY in the sand-box and need some help. I live in NC. Do I need any kind of special form to purchase a rilfe online? I am wanting to go on a shopping spree but do not want to wait to find out if Kerry gets elected and bans gunpowder.
This will be my first rifle purchase (probably Bushmaster 16" carbine). If anyone has ever had experience buying a complete rifle online let me know please. If you can recomend a good online store it would be helpfull also. I really enjoy researching equipment like magazines, ammo, scopes, bipods, slings, grips. I have only owned a handgun (glock) but have seen the light of how many accessories are available for rifles. This website has been kick-ass as far as reviews, links, polls and personal opinions. I especially liked the ammunition review. Keep up the good work.
-Turk182
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:47:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 6:48:04 PM EST by boofus]
You just need to have a FFL local to you accept the weapon and then transfer it to you. He'll run the background checks and whatnot. Under federal law that's all you need to do. Not sure what NC state law is regarding firearms but it can't be as bad as Kalifornistan or Assachusetts
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:27:58 PM EST
Suggest you also consider searching for a club near you holding rifle matches. They're INCREDIBLE fun!

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:19:25 PM EST
Whoever is selling the gun will need to have a "wet ink copy" of the license (FFL) of where it will be shiped to, they will only send it to the address on the FFL. So you need to get with a local dealer and tell him where you need him to mail it to. I got a guy here who charges $20 apiece for transfers, but I know some charge $50, plus my state charges $9 for back ground check. If you are buying a Bushmaster he may want to sell you what he has in stock and give you a hard time. If you are going to be deployed I would have a family member go through the back ground check and pick it up while you are gone, just in case the guy go's out of bussines or something you wont lose you gun (you pay the seller youself before they send it to the FFL). Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:37:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 8:39:33 PM EST by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By TurkeyBurgers:
Hello. Im a newb to the forums. I am TDY in the sand-box and need some help. I live in NC. Do I need any kind of special form to purchase a rilfe online? I am wanting to go on a shopping spree but do not want to wait to find out if Kerry gets elected and bans gunpowder.
This will be my first rifle purchase (probably Bushmaster 16" carbine). If anyone has ever had experience buying a complete rifle online let me know please. If you can recomend a good online store it would be helpfull also. I really enjoy researching equipment like magazines, ammo, scopes, bipods, slings, grips. I have only owned a handgun (glock) but have seen the light of how many accessories are available for rifles. This website has been kick-ass as far as reviews, links, polls and personal opinions. I especially liked the ammunition review. Keep up the good work.
-Turk182

You can't buy a gun untill you return to the states (or are you still here?) to do the 4473

However, you MIGHT be able to find a FFL who will recieve one for you and hold it pending your successful completion of the background check. I don't know if even THAT is legal...

If you are still here, all you have to do is find a local dealer who will recieve your gun(s) and do the background check, then order gun(s) and have them shipped to him... He will have to send the seller(s) copies of his license UNLESS they are private citizens.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:06:44 PM EST
do you have a relative or friend who could buy it for you and then (an ffl transfer, just so the 'straw purchase' police here don't jump down my throat) transfer it to you when you get back?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:36:58 AM EST
You are allowed to give weapons to your immediate family as gifts without the bull shit back ground check. So what better welcome home gift than a truck load of ARs? If you were my kid I'd sign for em.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:06:40 PM EST
Thanks for all your help. I appreciate the info. Looks like ill ride this one out. I think that if Kerry does get into office, he doesnt take the power seat until later on, sometime into the new year? Anyone know if that is correct? Well im sure it will take him a little while to get the ball rolling on any gun bans anyhoot. Hopefully by that time ill be locked and loaded. I will prepare my "shtf" gear. I dont think that there are any decent rifle ranges in my area back home so I dont know if theres any good shooting clubs. Ill have to do some research. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:51:54 PM EST
Have a friend or relative buy you a lower receiver (or three). Lowers are dirt cheap these days; you should be able to find one for around $100-$110 including shipping and whatever the FFL charges for the transfer.

It's only a "straw purchase" if a person buys a gun for someone who is _not_ legally able to buy a gun. Unless you become disqualified to own a firearm before you return to the states, it's not a straw purchase.

Check the state law where you are a legal resident to be sure there's no problem doing a person-to-person transfer.

If Kerry is elected he'll be sworn-in in early January. If the Democrats get control of the House oF Representatives they will have enough votes to send him a new "assault weapons" ban. If Kerry and the Democrats win the election in 12 days you can be sure there will be a incredible frenzy of buying that will make 1994 look like nothing, as everyone tries to buy everything they think they will ever need before a new, almost certainly permanent, ban is passed. Good luck finding anything on the internet, and at a reasonable price, in that case...

Buy at least one receiver now, as it's the regulated part of the rifle. Buy a parts set, or at least enough parts to "assemble" into an "assault weapon" (chances are the Democrats will reuse a lot of the definitions from the '94 law, and they'll almost certainly "grandfather" currently owned weapons in order to make the ban more palatable) as soon as possible and have them set aside with the lower.

Seriously: buy a lower immediately. If nothing happens in the way of a new ban, you can always buy the complete rifle you want and sell the lower for about what you'll have in it. If Kerry wins, by the time you get home there may not be anything legally available.

I think I've just convinced myself to go buy another half-dozen lowers, just in case.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:28:37 AM EST
Dear god man. You are frightening the children! Seriously though! If I come home to a police state like you made me picture than I think that I will will have to stock up now. Ill wait till the election results come in before I decide what im going to do. If Harry Kerry gets elected then I will ask dear old Dad to buy the rifle for me before I get home. Ill order a beta mag and a crap load of 30 rounders. If it comes down to it I will travel to the White House and throw my fucking medals and ribbons over the fence at that ass hat. God save us all if he gets into power.
Top Top