Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2002 3:02:19 AM EDT
What ever happened with that Delrin lower project. I havn't heard anything about it for some time now...
Regards, Ray
The Ray in Ray-Vin.Com
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
One more time... Delrin, while having marvelous machining properties (I know first hand), is too soft for use as an AR lower, or upper, for that matter.

I think the material used by Cav Arms for their lower is probably the best synthetic for this use.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
2 more times!  Not Delrin!

Cav Arms uses a glass filled nylon, an excellent material at a reasonable price.  I know of many other resins that are far superior to nylon but the cost and production hassles wouldn't justify the expense.  

Go [url=www.boedeker.com]here[/url] if you want to buy some and try yourself.  Just make sure it will show up on an X-ray machine or whatever they use in airports these days.  You will need some type of reinforced/filled resin.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, DELRIN 570, which is 15-20% glass-filled, might make a good lower.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
hell yea!

heres some links of whats up, these links got off track a bit but neverless contain some good info.

btw CAV uses Nylon 6 (cast) and Glock too.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=152364&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=142536&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought someone on this forum was taking orders for delrin lowers a while back, that's why I asked. I cut a lot of plastics and you are right about the machining characteristics of delrin. But, the only are I see as a problem for an AR lower from the material is the thin sidewalls of the mag well, and these could be made a little thicker...
Regards, Ray
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top