Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 8:45:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 10:46:32 AM EDT by 234747]
Delete
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:48:14 AM EDT
I'm sorry but this sounds like a ridiculous idea to me.

Have to believe you have never fired your AR15/M16 enough to get it smoking hot otherwise ya'd realize how silly this suggestion sounds.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:54:33 AM EDT
It is a new build that is waiting on a new barrel, so no, I have not fired it enough yet. I run a Knight's Armament RAS on my other gun, it never even gets hot.

I have heard almost from everybody running double heatshield handguards that they do this.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 9:11:07 AM EDT by SSeric02]
I would presume that they are glued-in for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:20:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 234747:
It is a new build that is waiting on a new barrel, so no, I have not fired it enough yet. I run a Knight's Armament RAS on my other gun, it never even gets hot.

I have heard almost from everybody running double heatshield handguards that they do this.

Most guys only remove one layer of the upper double heatshield, don't remove them both.

I also have a KAC M4 RAS on my rig and it's great even in the hot deserts here in Nevada.

I'm also using a KAC VFG.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:14:31 PM EDT

Does it really help to remove the upper heatshields on a set of M4 handguards? I know that heat rises, so I would assume this helps, but in my Colts it says " do not remove" heatshield.

And why do you think that is?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:12:18 AM EDT

Does it really help to remove the upper heatshields on a set of M4 handguards? I know that heat rises, so I would assume this helps, but in my Colts it says " do not remove" heatshield.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And why do you think that is?

Have to believe you have never fired your AR15/M16 enough to get it smoking hot otherwise ya'd realize how silly this suggestion sounds.

It is a wonder that anyone ever asks any questions on here with all of these smart-ass responses for answers.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:36:26 AM EDT
I had a set of the Colt double heatshield handguards on my 11.5 RR M16. They worked well at keeping my hand from getting burned, but kept a lot of the heat around the barrel. I removed the inner shield from the top handguard only (mine were not glued in) and it seemed to cool better for me. I left both shields in the bottom handguard to protect my hand. HTH YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:18:33 AM EDT
Since the Colt's are glued in and you may damage something and you seem a little iffy about removing them, why not pick up a set of the RRA/DS Arms/Cav Arms/Bushmaster M4 style handguards that only have the single heatshield. You could sell your original Colt's on the EE and probably cover the expense for the cheaper models from the other brands.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:40:40 AM EDT
That is good advice, but I think that I will keep the Colt's. They know what they are doing by putting them on there and I have never heard of anyone complaining that the Colt's get too hot. I have just always read on here about people pulling out the top shield for whatever reason. I just thought maybe there was some reason that's all.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice and input.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:49:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Since the Colt's are glued in and you may damage something and you seem a little iffy about removing them, why not pick up a set of the RRA/DS Arms/Cav Arms/Bushmaster M4 style handguards that only have the single heatshield. You could sell your original Colt's on the EE and probably cover the expense for the cheaper models from the other brands.

I can't imagine yanking the Good Handguards off, selling them, and puting on knockoffs!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 12:13:07 PM EDT by SSeric02]

That is good advice, but I think that I will keep the Colt's. They know what they are doing by putting them on there and I have never heard of anyone complaining that the Colt's get too hot. I have just always read on here about people pulling out the top shield for whatever reason. I just thought maybe there was some reason that's all.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice and input.

I agree, that's why I kept the Colt's on my carbines.

Originally Posted By markm:

Originally Posted By SSeric02:

I can't imagine yanking the Good Handguards off, selling them, and puting on knockoffs!

I prefer to keep my Colt's as well. Just providing him an option that may or may not resolve his dilema. i did think that the Cav Arms were well thought of though?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:41:43 PM EDT
personally,i had an ARMS SIR on my M4 in Iraq,and it never heated up,in the sun for hours,and it never heated after a great deal of firing,even though it doesn't even have heat shields. i would assume this is because it's so much further from the barrel than other aluminum rails. that's just my two cents,though,and it really has little to do with your thread.just a bit of food for thought though.
Top Top