Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2003 4:55:17 AM EDT
My new upper is soaked with the manufacturers oil.Anyone know where i can buy(online or offline) a degreaser for my gun to take off all the oil from the barrel?So i can relube with my own CLP.

Thnx
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#1]
In my expierience your best off with some good bore cleaner and a rag.  I did use ndustrial degreaser from a parts washer on a mag that looked like it had been shipped in a drum of axle grease though.  I wouldnt put that shit anywhere near my rifle though. Get good gun cleaner though you know the kind that makes you forget your name after a few miniutes. [devil]

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Gun Scrubber (Walmart) would work, just make sure you oil afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Brake or Carb cleaner (Walmart) is just as good as Gun Scrubber and costs less.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Simple Green.
Buy it at Sam's club by the gallon for under $10.00.  I've used it to clean the inners of S&W revolvers +50 years old.  Just desolves the old oil.  I started using this after watching an AGI video on disassembly and cleaning of S&W revolvers.  I use it full strenght in place of Gunk for cleaning engines.  Much cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Simple Green.
View Quote

Which also destroys the protective anodized coating on the aluminum if its left on.  Better hope you get it cleaned out of all the nooks & crannies.

Much cheaper.
View Quote

More expensive when you have to have your aluminum parts refinished or replace them.

There is a reason why the Army prohibits the use of simple green to clean M16s.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard that using brake cleaner and/or simple green on a firearm is not exactly the safest thing to do.  Not to mention if you are willing to pay $700+ dollars for a gun and not $7 bucks for some degreaser I would have to assume that you have your priorities pretty much out of wack. I will stick with my gunscrubber for 5 bucks more
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple Green.
View Quote

Which also destroys the protective anodized coating on the aluminum if its left on.  Better hope you get it cleaned out of all the nooks & crannies.

Much cheaper.
View Quote

More expensive when you have to have your aluminum parts refinished or replace them.

There is a reason why the Army prohibits the use of simple green to clean M16s.
View Quote

I have use simple green a billion times with no ill effects, it does leave a residue. Which has to be removed. Which is why I went to Tech 2000. ,wal mart brand, carb cleaner.

GG
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Carb cleaner is too strong for most finishes and plastics. There are 2 basic types of brake clean and both are safe and [are] gunscrubber for less. Brake clean will de-oil to the core. Oil or a wd,crc... anything will be necessary after solvents like this.

Brake clean will dissapear, completely. Caustics like simple green will not and must be effectively rinsed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok i went to my local walmart and got some birchwood-casey Gun scrubber solvent/degreaser.Will this do?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Gun Scrubber will leave discoloring "runs" in the finish, although these can sometimes be rubbed out. To degrease a new AR, I use Foamy engine brite. spray it on, rinse with hot water, and stick it in the oven at the "warm' setting for a few minutes to dry. I use this method, with the addition of a nylon brush, to clean the rifle after shooting, and it works like a charm. Before you ask, I clean the bore the usual way.

Be careful (wear eye protection), if you use Gun Scrubber! That stuff WILL get into your eyes, and while it doesn't burn long (or even make your eyes red), it does indeed burn strong.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
YOur gun scrubber will do just fine...when you're finished just put a fine coat of oil on the weapon and the "discoloring" will go away.

Mpro7 will get the crap off your gun very well and leaves a rust preventative coating also...personally I still hose my gear down with WD afterward then dry it off with compressed air...then I oil the piece properly.

orrrrr:  soap and water, a soft brush and the good ol kitchen sink.  guns are NOT made of sugar and even though automotive compounds can be risky due to their sometimes VERY aggressive chemicals...soap and water are a perfectly safe degreaser.  When you are finished you can chase off the water with WD40 then blast the excess off with compressed or canned air (wal mart)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok cool.Thnx alot for the info
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Mpro7 will strip all oil off the gun, i use it on my bolt and carrier. it works very well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Is Mineral Spirits Safe?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#15]
denatured alcohol works good as a degreaser.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber followed by a liberal coat of Rem Oil.  It's what they are made to do.  Your AR is the better part of a grand worth of machinery, why scrimp a few cents on cleaning supplies?  If you want to save money cleaning, buy cheap toilet paper.  Your butt-pucker will grow back.  OH, and a black cotton T-shirt works great for the final wipe-down. (for your AR that is)  

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an ultra-sonic cleaner that I use in my goldsmithing business. I use a Simple Green and water solution for cleaning, 1:4 ratio.

I have degreased everything imaginable from diamond rings, BBQ parts to motorcycle chains using Simple Green.

I have seen absolutely no evidence of any harm to anodized or plated parts in Simple Green.

Other than anecdotal comments from people who don't know any better, Simple Green is safe for all steel, silver, gold, bronze, plating, rubber, plastic and anodized aluminum.  I would not put pearls, turquoise, or opals in it, but I have had no problems with gun parts.

It did take the locking glue off of a Remington 700 factory trigger.

So show me the facts Jack:  What did Simple Green damage, and what were the circumstances?  Boiling in Simple Green?  Soaking for six months?  Put some money where the mouth is.

Anything I can't stand is a nitwit badmouthing a product he has never had any experience with.

I have no commercial interest in Simple Green.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber does not really leave stains, it just exposes all sorts of things that are covered by a thin sheen of oil.  Some of the spotting is oil not completely removed, that is in the porous surface of the metal.

Yes, immediately wipe the weapon with oil when degreased.

Avoid getting degreasers on plastics, cover scopes and especially, lenses.  

I routinely hose out the inside of the receiver with Gun Scrubber after cleaning the bore with Hoppes to remove copper fouling, and loosening up the grunge in the locking lugs with the brush.  I just hose it out, and shake, then wipe it all with a patch dampened in Breakfree.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is Mineral Spirits Safe?
View Quote

I have used Mineral Spirits for the past 10 years for everything around the house (car parts, guns including plastic Glocks, AR, etc).  I have NEVER had Mineral Spirits harm anything, or any kind of plastic.

PERFECTLY SAFE. [coffee]

But now Carb cleaner is dangerous.  I have harmed some plastics around the house with Carb Cleaner.  Carb cleaner is VERY STRONG solvent.

Brake cleaner is in the middle.  Less strong than Carb cleaner, and less damaging to some plastics than carb cleaner.  But, as I said already, Mineral Spirits is perfectly safe, and still a good degreaser (more like a GENTLE degresser).
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]
If you use WD40, be sure to remove all residue from the weapon afterwards. It will deactivate primers within a few weeks rather than aprox. 6 months for other types of oils.
This would be a very bad thing in a gun that is ment to save your life.
WD40 also ruins some finishes. See what the manufacturer says before hand. I know that Magnum research says not to use it on their guns.
I like Mpro7 as well, you could probably drink that stuff and it wouldn't kill you. Drink hoppes #9 and they'll have to bury you in a hazmat bag. [:)]
I NEED one of those parts washers. The fun I would have tearing my engine apart...
-Steve
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:24:36 AM EDT
[#21]
To say that Gun Scrubber is any better for a firearm than brake cleaner is an idiotic statement.  Products marketed as "for guns" are always more expensive than the same thing in another container.  Gun Scrubber is no less harsh on you or your guns.  Save you money and use brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have heard that using brake cleaner and/or simple green on a firearm is not exactly the safest thing to do.  Not to mention if you are willing to pay $700+ dollars for a gun and not $7 bucks for some degreaser I would have to assume that you have your priorities pretty much out of wack. I will stick with my gunscrubber for 5 bucks more
View Quote

Yes also dont buy any surplus ammo.  Spend the extra on domestic ammo or your priorities are out of whack.  Anyone who uses South African surplus should immediately send it to me for propper disposal.  

I have over $3500 invested in my rifle before optics and mounts.  I use brake cleaner.  I use products based on performance, not a label.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top