Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:47:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 4:48:38 PM EST by HK_DUDE]
Starting with a lower that has never ben assembled as a rifle, yadda, yadda......

Want to do a dedicated .22 pistol, with a pistol buffer tube and the Law Tactical folding assembly or ACE folding adaptor (since it doesn't have to be designed for a BCA to run though).

Only reason I am asking is because the dedicated .22 doesn't need the buffer tube to function. This is why I ask. (But I want it for obvious reasons)

Wouldn't use the SIG brace.

Thoughts?

Added: Am I being paranoid?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:54:23 PM EST
What wouldn't be legal about it?

"Obvious reasons"? Meaning you want a buffer tube on it for third point of contact? If not, you can just plug it you know, and keep it short all the time.

Of course, if you build it with a buffer tube, with or without LAW, you could always add a 5.56 upper at any time too.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:06:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 6:07:29 PM EST by HK_DUDE]
Just asking.......I thought I read somewhere, that it was just fine with the buffer tube on the 5.56 AR pistol because it wasn't used as a stock, and it was necessary for the function of the weapon......on the .22, it wouldn't need the buffer tube to function. I am just making sure I wouldn't be in a "Gray area"....

I currently have a 10.25" AR pistol with a Law Tactical folding adaptor and pistol buffer tube on it.

I want to do a dedicated .22, just because I can machine a barrel myself for low $, and I want to make it VERY short.

I guess it would make the most sense just to do a dedicated super short .22 upper and swith back and forth on the lower with the LAW in place.

For me the .22 AR pistol with the plug in the receiver does nothing that my Glock 17 with Advantage Arms .22 upper on and a 25rd mag......so that isn't of interest for me. Thanks for pointing it out though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:37:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 6:49:33 PM EST by OhShoot]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
Just asking.......I thought I read somewhere, that it was just fine with the buffer tube on the 5.56 AR pistol because it wasn't used as a stock, and it was necessary for the function of the weapon......on the .22, it wouldn't need the buffer tube to function. I am just making sure I wouldn't be in a "Gray area"....
View Quote

Well, if ATF had ever ruled that a buffer tube was illegal on a .22 AR because it wasn't necessary for the function of a .22AR, I guess drop in kits wouldn't be legal as long as the buffer was attached either. But they haven't, so I can't see the remotest reason for concern on your endeavor myself.

Besides, nothing is truly "dedicated" as far as an AR lower anyway. There are always legal options for different length and caliber uppers. Same for most firearms, just that AR design makes it easier than others.

- OS
Top Top