Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2009 4:59:56 PM EDT
So far, from reading SpecOps-13's excellent testing thread and a couple other threads, I've come up with the following providers of swappable dedicated .22LR uppers:

Technically, the S&W and Colt offerings are also "dedicated" uppers, but they are proprietary and thus, not interchangeable with a standard AR lower.

My daughter just turned six, and I'm looking for her Christmas present.  Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
SpecOps-13 found a big sale at BlackDog, he made a post about it that's here in the first couple pages of lists. $499 for either TACSOL M4 or Lightweight Upper. They have magazines on sale if you buy 10, they're cheap....
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS isn't in production and finding magazines is problematic.
As much as I like dedicated .22 uppers (I have 4), for a kid, the weight of the S&W might make it preferable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I run the tests and mostly let the reader develop their own opinions.
In this case, it's difficult to not give an opinion.

Unless your daughter is very big and strong for her age, you need to
find a very light option. That will make it much more fun for her. TacSol
has a LT (Lightweight) Upper that's being offered by Black Dog Machine
right now for $499. I don't know what the actual weight would be assembled
with a lower. I may have a better answer in a few days if TacSol decides to
send that upper to me for testing. They are sending something, I told them
to Surprise me.

I know the S&W is proprietary but it is also 5.5 pounds unloaded.
Bench resting / bipod would be necessary by the time you add a full mag
and any optics.

It absolutely has to be as light as possible for her to have fun. I would wish
for about 4 pounds but I don't know how to achieve that.

Good Luck,
SpecOps-13
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, we have a lightweight lower (a pink Cav-Arms MkII that she just "had to have"), and I was eyeing that TacSol LT upper at just $499...

After total weight, the only thing I really worry about is the LOP on the MkII's A1-length stock... I'd hate to do a stock mod on such a hard-to-source color.

I just wanted her to have an AR for her first gun (she only shoots .22 pistols thus far, and they aren't hers!).  This S&W might be the new Crickett!  

The "Technical Specs" for the M&P15-22 say that the OAL is:

30.5" Collapsed

33.75" Extended

So, that may play into it a bit, as well...

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
That list is complete, but I would some of those names off. I would keep these names on the list:
Spikes
CMMG
Model 1 Sales
Tactical Solutions

I have conversions by the the first two and they work good. With my lower and a conversion in my LW lower (below) I have a .223 or .22 that is less than 6 pounds.

I have a very lightweight Cav Arms lower that is sitting here waiting for the Tac Sol LT upper to arrive. It shipped today. I can give you a total weight on that by the end of the week. I have been using this Cav Arms lower since last fall and everyone who has tried it, man and woman, has loved the fit. I would buy another if local dealers had any.

Light is good!  I have a 24" Bull Barrel varmint AR that shoots like there is no tomorrow but it isn't what I want to hike around with!

I got my shipping notice from BDM on my LT......only a couple of more days.......my birthday is Wednesday. That would be a nice day to get it!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That list is complete, but I would some of those names off. I would keep these names on the list:

Spikes

CMMG

Model 1 Sales

Tactical Solutions

I have changed the order around a bit, and changed it from a bulleted (unordered) to a numbered (ordered) list.

The last two aren't really in the running (an earlier poster noted that the DPMS was out of production, and the VF model was only added for completeness).

I have conversions by the the first two and they work good. With my lower and a conversion in my LW lower (below) I have a .223 or .22 that is less than 6 pounds.

I have a very lightweight Cav Arms lower that is sitting here waiting for the Tac Sol LT upper to arrive. It shipped today. I can give you a total weight on that by the end of the week. I have been using this Cav Arms lower since last fall and everyone who has tried it, man and woman, has loved the fit. I would buy another if local dealers had any.

Light is good! I have a 24" Bull Barrel varmint AR that shoots like there is no tomorrow but it isn't what I want to hike around with!

I got my shipping notice from BDM on my LT......only a couple of more days.......my birthday is Wednesday. That would be a nice day to get it!

Oh, bless you, kind sir!

I have three Cav Arms MkII lowers, and I love them...

OK, OK, I only have two (DT and CB) and my daughter has the other (Pink).

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
It's so Cool to have everyone working together to find the best option here.

It's refreshing and rewarding to just help someone.

An early Happy Birthday to forever4.. Take care of yourself My Kentucky Brother.

Spec
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would add the Razorback from Lakeside Machine to your list...it's a belt-fed .22lr upper that will swap on to an AR lower.  Check out Eric at www.lakesideguns.com
Although it's "not for everyone" (and certainly not for me!), I'm going to go ahead and add it, as I'd like this to be more of a resource for everybody than just a "help meeee!" thread.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
A 16" lightweight barrel would be perfect for a 6 YO.

Now, if we can just match the pink for her.

Spec

PS: I had my wife shoot a 16" H-Bar last night.
I had to help her hold it up. I know she could handle a 20 "
Pencil Barrel with ease. Thank God for lightweights.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#12]
somebody did a tacsol lw upper that turned out about 5 pounds. on sale at black dog machine..spikes lw will be great also.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I can turn you a lightweight profile barrel for your daughter.
Thanks, Tom.  The Spike's upper is definitely at the top of my list right now (both literally and figuratively!).

I am currently back in talks w/ my wife about this project... mainly because she found out about the Walther TPH that I picked up the other day.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top