Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/30/2005 3:22:01 PM EDT
I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been lurking around for a couple of years. Now it's time to get my first AR. I'm not new to the system, been playing with the FA version for about 28 years. Wish I could afford them all, but need to narrow it down to one of the following rifles:

Bushmaster Patrolman (BCWA3F16M4) - Bushmaster Carbine (BCWA3F16) - Bushmaster CAR-
RRA Entry Tactical

The rifle will be used for fun shooting, and for more serious shooting, should the need ever arise.

I'm sure this has been hashed out before, I just can't seem to locate a thread. I'm also aware that personal preference plays a huge part. Just looking for some honest opinions from those that have experience with the choices above. Thanks for all the help, and Happy New Year!

John
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:06:55 PM EDT
B-Balls,

Your dilemma is one that many have struggled with because all 3 of those are worthy options

I'd say for your stated use, the best option is the Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine. I'd add - the A3 version is the best configuration.

why?

1. the M4 style is hands down the most popular and biggest seller. This will ensure parts into the future- no problem, re-sale value - if ever necessary, and it so closely resembles our military M4

2. Bushmaster has excellent customer service

3. Bushmaster has so much in the way of accessories and generally supports the product well

4. The BM over the RRA since it has chrome-lined barrel/chamber standard. With RRA, it is an option

5. The A3 since it will give you unlimited options for optics, accessories etc. that the A2 will not (A3 is the flat top version)

And lastly, pricing. RRA and BM P-carbine is priced about the same as the comparable RRA, and offers the above advantages.

Not to waffle on my postion, but if you went RRA, you would have a great AR15 as well. Fact is, the differences are subtle. There is not a bad choice here.

Good luck with your selection, and let us know how it works out

Happy New Year!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:24:24 PM EDT
go with RRA. What you will notice if you spend time on this forum is that people occasionaly complain about Colt and Bushie, and almost never RRA. This is not to say that RRA makes a vastly superior product, truthfully I think all the big names make a good rifle. What it does tell you is that RRA is super careful about what leaves their factory...their guns almost feel custom. No reports of canted sights like Bushie, no tool marks as with Colt. And by the way, check pages...say 1-5 here, I know there was a Bushie vs. RRA thread in the last few days.

Get the RRA Entry Tactical, but make sure it has a chrome lined barrel.ar15sales.com talk to Pete, you can have the whole setup for $850 out the door.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:30:38 PM EDT
Bushmaster Patrolman - flat top
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:54:08 PM EDT
RRA Entry Tactical. It's chrome lined, the fit and finish is as good or better than a Bushmaster, and it's cheaper. Plus you get a slide sling swivel and a lifetime warranty. I think the choice is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:08:45 PM EDT
I love my Entry Tactical
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:09:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By redfisher:
B-Balls,

Your dilemma is one that many have struggled with because all 3 of those are worthy options

I'd say for your stated use, the best option is the Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine. I'd add - the A3 version is the best configuration.

why?

1. the M4 style is hands down the most popular and biggest seller. This will ensure parts into the future- no problem, re-sale value - if ever necessary, and it so closely resembles our military M4

2. Bushmaster has excellent customer service

3. Bushmaster has so much in the way of accessories and generally supports the product well

4. The BM over the RRA since it has chrome-lined barrel/chamber standard. With RRA, it is an option

5. The A3 since it will give you unlimited options for optics, accessories etc. that the A2 will not (A3 is the flat top version)

And lastly, pricing. RRA and BM P-carbine is priced about the same as the comparable RRA, and offers the above advantages.

Not to waffle on my postion, but if you went RRA, you would have a great AR15 as well. Fact is, the differences are subtle. There is not a bad choice here.

Good luck with your selection, and let us know how it works out

Happy New Year!!

+1
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:12:13 PM EDT
Bushmaster Carbine BCWA3F16
I got one, love it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:36:37 PM EDT
Gentlemen,

I want to thank you for all the input. Your opinions will play a big role in my final decision.

The missus left me alone today, so I had more time to study the forum. I came across a post from Bushwacker85 concerning STAG Arms. He is of the opinion that the best thing to do is to buy a complete upper & lower from Eagle Arms, slap them together and push the pins. This is another option (damn) that I should probably consider. What are your thoughts of STAG Arms?

The majority of my shooting is through my issue M4, so I won't be running 10K through my personal choice in a year. I just want a reliable, quality weapon that willl CMA should I need it.

Garands are a whole lot easier, only 4 choices (unless you collect the damn things)!

Thank you, and I hope ya'll have a safe and prosperous New Year!

John
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:48:00 PM EDT
Call legal Transfers 603-770-2281. He has the RRA you are looking at for a price you will not believe. The Bushy is also great. I have both and they are close.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:14:04 PM EDT
Took the plunge, and picked up a NIB RRA Entry Tactical with standard carry handle for under $800 shipped. Just awaiting it's arrival. Thanks for all the help!

John
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:31:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigBalls:
Took the plunge, and picked up a NIB RRA Entry Tactical with standard carry handle for under $800 shipped. Just awaiting it's arrival. Thanks for all the help!

John

Not bad, not bad at all. As I posted before, the Stag deal is a great one, but you can't go wrong with the Entry Tactical either. You'll love the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:51:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By txgp17:
Bushmaster Patrolman - flat top

+1 Superb rifle
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 3:58:54 PM EDT by Billmanweh]
If I were starting from where you are now, this is what I would get;

a complete Stag lower with the CMT stock
either the BCM upper (if you want a 14.5" or 1/7 twist) or a Stag 2H upper

I think aimsurplus has the 2H uppers complete with a BCG and a.r.m.s. buis for something like $475. And the Stag lower should run you about $215-225 shipped. I think you'd be totally gtg with that set-up.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:39:55 PM EDT
Does the entry tac. have a govy profile or hbar?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 5:39:39 PM EDT by Bushwacker85]

Originally Posted By 0612Devil:
Does the entry tac. have a govy profile or hbar?

I believe it is heavy, but don't quote me on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:49:37 PM EDT
Top Top