Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 8:00:46 PM EDT
I tried a search but didn't have much luck.  I have always wanted to build an AR.  I am traveling to Phoenix next month on business and want to purchase an AR lower while I am there.  I work in Massachusetts, and the dealers do not want to seem to sell or transfer stripped lowers because of our draconian gun laws and our state's insane version of the AWB, even if the lower will be used to build a post-ban style weapon.

It would be easier for me to pick up a lower out-of-state (I think that lowers are considered long guns and can be purchased out-of-state by a non-resident) and return the lower to Massachusetts than to contact any more dealers here.  I can purchase a complete rifle in Massachusetts without any problem, but it would not be configured as I would like, and the selection of manufacturers is limited, although Bushmasters are plentiful and RRA and Armalite rifles can sometimes be located.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Ameetec. Whoever you deal with, call first to confirm they are willing to do the deal... the letters "MA" can strike fear into the heart of free-staters like us.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Ameetec Arms, a sponsor here sells very nice stripped lowers. Check with them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellows.  I just emailed them.  I envy you "free-staters."  Fortunately, I am not asking them to ship into the state.  Additionally, aside from MA's continuation of the "AWB" smoke and mirrors game, there are no restrictions on long guns, just handguns.

BTW, I have never been to AZ, although I have traveled to many states for the Trial Court of the Commonwealth, and I am really looking forward to checking out the really important sights around Phoenix, such as the Yost-Bonitz shop.  he
My best.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have built two rifles  on Ameetec lowers.  They are nice.  Make sure you get good directions to theirr
place.  It is a bit hard to find.

You have picked a good time to visit as the daytime temperature will probably be below 100.  Don't let that scare you, it is actually quite pleasant here in the 90s.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont think you can buy a lower or gun for that matter in Az from an FFL without an Az drivers license unless they ship it directly to an FFL out of state.  At least thats what my understanding was.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
ernief:

100 degrees!  It is in the 70's here; I am going to melt!

Dace:

I will try to do some research online about Arizona gun laws, but I do believe that federal law does not prohibit in-state sales of long guns to non-residents, although in-state sales of handguns to non-residents is prohibited.  I can purchase a rifle in New Hampshire and bring it into Massachusetts, although it must comply with the MA AWB and I must register it within ten days.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Ameetec-Arms et al:

Thank you for your responses.  

Since Massachusetts 1) does not have a waiting period, 2) there is no additional form of background check, 3) there is no monthly, yearly, or lifetime limitation on number of firearms purchased, and 4) although long guns purchased out-of-state must be registered within ten days of the long gun's entry into the Commonwealth, the burden of registration is solely on the Massachusetts resident, I believe that I will be able to purchase lowers while in AZ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top