Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
That last one is an unusual variant. It appears Sudanese but for the Portuguese handguards, front sight base and gas system. I would like to see that one up close.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't it be nice if the US government trusted it's citizens enough to let us have stuff like this?

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 4:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That last one is an unusual variant. It appears Sudanese but for the Portuguese handguards, front sight base and gas system. I would like to see that one up close.

The last rifle is a Transitional.  Note the Sudan charging handle.  The front sight base looks Sudanese but there are some slight differences.  The gas tube would have to be Sudanese.  About the only Transitionals to be seen in the US are in the Knight collection.  In the Netherlands they are the most common variant.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be nice if the US government trusted it's citizens enough to let us have stuff like this?

What, a welded up rifle that has no hope of ever firing again (and illegal if it does)?

We could only be so lucky.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, a welded up rifle that has no hope of ever firing again (and illegal if it does)?

We could only be so lucky.

“But it looks so scary!! We can’t import it!”
                                     — Sen. Dianne Feinstein
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has an auto sear. Unless the receiver is torch cut in 3 pieces (or bandsaw, etc to ATF standards) it is a fully functioning machinegun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang that double tap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would be of the opinion that the Port HG gun is a parts gun, to be authentic it would need to have a milled Sudanese FSB with the old style gas regulator and a seperate HG cap.

As far as rewelded scrap goes the Gov has to prove 'constructive intent'. Many single cut receivers were imported and sold as pairs. If its scrap now it cannot be an MG.

I love the true Sudanese variants The brass badge with rack number in Arabic is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would be of the opinion that the Port HG gun is a parts gun, to be authentic it would need to have a milled Sudanese FSB with the old style gas regulator and a seperate HG cap.

I would tend to agree with you on this one Dan. I would like to see if the barrel is Sudanese or Portuguese. Parts are hard to come by. Someone may have cobbled that one together when they couldn't get the correct parts.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I also agree with the kid.  My first look was brief and I did not even notice the big gas valve on the FSB.  Did anyone notice the plastic handguards are upside down?

The thing is definitely a Sudan that has many Porto parts, such as the front sight base and handguards.  The first clue is the serial number 0008xx, which is well below the range for Transitionals which is like 003500-005000.  The Portos mostly are 006000 and up but there are a few Portos with scattered SN's below 005000.  What about the 005000-006000 range?  That is a big mystery as only a few rifles in that range have ever been seen.  The current theory is that someone like the CIA bought a bunch for a rainly day.

Here is a brief rundown on how to identify a Sudan versus a Transitional.  First of all there is no such thing as a typical Transitional because different buttstocks, handguards, and flash-hiders were used during the transitional period.  Furniture can be changed but other things can not.

Below is a photo of what a Transitional commonly looks like.  Porto handguards.  Sudan style charging handle. The buttstock on this on has a rear sling holder that swivels and other Transitionals had Porto buttstocks and fixed rear Porto slingholders.  The Transitional below looks like it has a Sudan FSB but some differences will be shown next.

The front sight base (FSB) on a Transitional AR10 has noticably rounder edges than a Sudan FSB.  Below is a photo of a Transitional FSB.

Now look at what a Sudan FSB is like.  There are much sharper edges within the casting.

The front pivot pin is also different bewteen the Sudan and Transitional.  The pin diameter is smaller on the Sudan and the lower is reinforced on the Transitional.  Notice that the Sudan pivot pin lug sticks out at a 90degree angle just like on an M16A1 lower receiver.

The Transitional pivot area is shown below.

The Sudanese pivot area is shown below.  This particular rifle has a story to tell....

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#11]

gen.lauris norstad

Did he owned the rifle,what's the story?

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Searching for gen.lauris norstad and ar-10 rifle,found this pdf list from the fairchild industries inc collection,from National Air and Space Museum Archives Division
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/findaids/findaid_index.cfm?list=web_002.txt

PDF file

Fairchild Industries, Inc. Collection
               Acc. 1989-0060, 1990-0047

"(Box 532)

Folder 17    ArmaLite Division,AR-7 and AR-10 fact and photographs."

It is a big list,i think there is info on the AR-15,can someone help and search it and post the Box anf Folder?
Thank you and have fun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 3:04:51 AM EDT
[#13]
(Box 62)
Folder 8   ArmaLite AR-10 rifle,data,press relese,magazine.

Folder 9   ArmaLite AR-15 rifle,photographs.

(Box 63)
Folder 1   ArmaLite 1960,data on company,booklet(2 copies).
Folder 4   The ArmaLite pack-in stock,booklet.
Folder 5   ArmaLite outline of proposed activity for 1957,booklet.
Folder 6   AR-5 rifle,booklet.
Folder 7   ArmaLite advertisements,press releases.
Folder8    Armalite AR-10 rifle,booklet.

(Box 574)
Folder 9     AR-15 rifle,instructions for the operation of the Colt Armalite AR-15 automatic rifle
caliber .223" by the Colt ArmaLite,brochure,articles and photographs.

Quoted:
Searching for gen.lauris norstad and ar-10 rifle,found this pdf list from the fairchild industries inc collection,from National Air and Space Museum Archives Division
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/findaids/findaid_index.cfm?list=web_002.txt

PDF file
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/findaids/images/T~Fairchild_Logo~A.jpg

"(Box 532)

It is a big list,i think there is info on the AR-15,can someone help and search it and post the Box anf Folder?
Thank you and have fun.

I have to make a post just for it as there is more on it on armalite rifles and activity information.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Presented to the general maybe.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 3:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]
The rifle may have never been owned by the General.  It is in Europe and there it will stay because it can not be registered in the US.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The rifle may have never been owned by the General.  It is in Europe and there it will stay because it can not be registered in the US.

Why?
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
(Box 62)
Folder 8   ArmaLite AR-10 rifle,data,press relese,magazine.

Folder 9   ArmaLite AR-15 rifle,photographs.

(Box 63)
Folder 1   ArmaLite 1960,data on company,booklet(2 copies).
Folder 4   The ArmaLite pack-in stock,booklet.
Folder 5   ArmaLite outline of proposed activity for 1957,booklet.
Folder 6   AR-5 rifle,booklet.
Folder 7   ArmaLite advertisements,press releases.
Folder8    Armalite AR-10 rifle,booklet.

(Box 574)
Folder 9     AR-15 rifle,instructions for the operation of the Colt Armalite AR-15 automatic rifle
caliber .223" by the Colt ArmaLite,brochure,articles and photographs.

Quoted:

PDF file
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/findaids/images/T~Fairchild_Logo~A.jpg

"(Box 532)

Thank you and have fun.

I have to make a post just for it as there is more on it on armalite rifles and activity information.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/554746_National_Air_and_Space_Museum_Archives_Division_Fairchild_Industries__Inc__Collection.html

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

President Clinton and the assault weapons importation ban. Even if the ban were not in place it could only be brought in via the state dept as a museun piece. Unless the Reagan '86 machine gun registation ban is lifted it can never be in the US owned by a US citizen registgered to them.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top