Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2011 2:39:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/20/2011 12:17:04 PM EDT by TCBA_Joe]
In my quest towards perfecting my rifle I've acquired both an m952v and an m600V.

I'm saving for a PVS-14 and I just picked up a DBAL-I2 from TNVC (thanks Chip!). I bought the laser before the monocular so I could do some experimenting in the mean time with setting up the light, the switches, and at least play with the green laser.

I bought a NIB m952v off the ARFCOM EE for $235, which is a screaming deal. It's a great light, although the mount and tail cap are pretty bulky. I later bought a scout body ($100) thinking I could put the head from my SF V2 on it, until I realized it uses the same head as the millennium. So I did some searching and picked up a KM2 head off CPF for $175, giving me a $275 vampire scout, another screaming deal.

I decided to hang onto the m952v for a future rifle, but I still wasn't thrilled with the size. I bought a DCC scout mount and a millennium/m620 adapter from Grey Group, and a UM tailcap from CPF.

For those that haven't heard of it, Danger Close Consulting made an adapter to allow SF millenium lights and the m620 scout (which has the same mounting pattern as the millennium series) to be mounted on an offset scout mount. It's only compatible with the DCC mount. There are very few aftermarket mounts for the millennium lights, and this is a very good, lightweight option, and I believe the only offset mount.

Below are comparisons of the stock m600v and m952v and the m600v with a GS offset mount and the m952v with the DCC mount and UM tailcap.

Stock m952v

Stock m600v

m600v with GS offset mount

m952v with DCC mount, millennium adapter, UM tailcap

Comparison of both lights on offset mounts

m600v w/ DCC scout mount

The only real compatibility issue with running these offset mounts with the laser is that there is a slight graze of the visible laser on the top or side of the 2 lights. They're about equal, and even in very dark conditions there's no real backsplash, just a slight green streak. I don't think I'd be comfortable with that kind of interference from the IR laser under NODS.

I'm very pleased with both the DCC and GS mounts. There's very little difference between light mounting position with a scout. I also really like the SF vampire lights. Having the vampires and the DBAL-I2 is making it really hard to save for my PVS-14.

Also, a quick note on tapeswitch mounting. I bought a slightly used SR07-D-IT dual button tape switch for running both a SF light and an insight plug laser. While it's a nice setup, it's not the best for using both the light and laser at the same time. Which is fine when your LAM has both a lazer and illuminator. Not so good when using a separate illuminator like a Vampire weapon light. I've been playing around with switch placement and in another thread Jason Falla posted this:
http://jasonfalla.blogspot.com/2011/05/flashlight-position-mounting-options.html

I really appreciated his input in that thread and it lead me to mounting the SF switch at 10:30 and the LAM switch at 4:30. This way I can use either one or both at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 5:01:12 PM EDT
I've basically been considering doing the same thing you did, but with the DC mount at 12. Have you tried that, and if so, how did it work?
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 5:09:19 PM EDT
I just tried that a couple minutes ago with the DBAL and it doesn't work well. It sits higher and almost completely blocks the green laser. It also forces the laser unit to sit farther back, which on a carbine length rail is all the way to the rear, while the light mounts sits all the way forward.

It would be even worse with the standard XM tailcap.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 5:29:38 PM EDT
Well, crap. I was hoping I could make that work. Oh well. Could you post a parts list from the DC mount and scout light? I don't want to buy the wrong things if I could help it. Cheers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 5:43:43 PM EDT
Just call Grey Group I believe they're the only ones who carry it.

Just ask for the Danger close millennium adapter and offset scout mount. When I ordered it the girl knew exactly what I was talking about, and even told me I'd need the scout mount (I thought I'd need just the millennium mount). They know whats going on there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 5:52:47 PM EDT
Ok, sound good. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 5:22:10 PM EDT
I wanted to add a direct comparison of the 2 lights on the same rail

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 3:14:07 PM EDT
TCBA,

Will the millennium adapter work with the Gear Sector offset mount? Or does it only fit on the Danger Close mount?
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:22:11 PM EDT
How is it that the danger close mount clamp onto the rail? I can clearly see the set screw on the mount, but I can't tell how its secured.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 2:20:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Xskier45:
TCBA,

Will the millennium adapter work with the Gear Sector offset mount? Or does it only fit on the Danger Close mount?

No the mounting screw extends into where the adapter is. You can attached the adapter, but then you can't screw the GS mounting screw all the way in.

Originally Posted By Pointman1605:
How is it that the danger close mount clamp onto the rail? I can clearly see the set screw on the mount, but I can't tell how its secured.

You just screw the set screw in. It points directly at the surface of the rail. In combination with the rubber piece on the end of the screw, thread locker, and proper torque it's pretty secure, although it doesn't seem it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 2:47:20 PM EDT
Thanks Joe!
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 3:43:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
TCBA,

No the mounting screw extends into where the adapter is. You can attached the adapter, but then you can't screw the GS mounting screw all the way in.

You just screw the set screw in. It points directly at the surface of the rail. In combination with the rubber piece on the end of the screw, thread locker, and proper torque it's pretty secure, although it doesn't seem it.

Couldn;t you solve that problem by just filing the mounting screw down a tad?

Very interested in this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 3:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2011 3:56:15 PM EDT by TCBA_Joe]
Originally Posted By Strongbow:
TCBA,

Very interested in this.

Go for it and get back to us. I don't think there's enough material to do it right, and the DCC is a great mount, so I don't see a reason to try it.

If anyone wants to send me a m620 body, I'll get more pictures to compare how it sits compared to the millenium and the m600v.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 2:43:04 PM EDT
If you don't mind, what is the weight difference before and after?
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 4:51:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rlester:
If you don't mind, what is the weight difference before and after?

I don't have a scale that will measure that small weight. Maybe I'll ask around and see if anyone has a food scale.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:41:50 AM EDT
TCBA,

Very interested in this.

Hey, I forgot about this question. I just attached the DDC adapter to the GS mount. It doesn't tighten down. Once I removed the adapter there was 1 1/4 turn left in the screw. Seems like you could make a relief in the adapter for such a short distance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:13:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2011 11:19:06 AM EDT by TCBA_Joe]
Finally have weights. All weight is in ounces, on a older, less precise postal scale, which is why some of the numbers don't jive 100%. Most differences should be ~.5 ounces

Stock configuration (w/out batteries):
M600v: 5
M952v: 7.5

"Debulked" M952v: 6.5

Body:
M600v: 1
M952v: 1.5

Body w/ (stock) Mounts:
M600v: 2.5
M952v: 3.5

Heads were both 2.5

M952 tailcaps:
XM07 (stock): 2
UM07: 1.5

Mounts:
M600v (stock): 1
M952v (stock): 2.0
DCC: 1
GS: 1
DCC w/ adapter: 1.5

2 CR123As: 1

On a side note. My "tacticool" DDM4 w/ m600v, T-1/LT, DBAL I^2, MaTech BUIS, KAC VFG and rail panels weighs all of 8.5 lbs unloaded. The horror of such weight

My "KISS" A4 w/ carry handle, plastic furniture, and HB weighs 8.75 lbs
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 3:13:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2011 3:14:38 AM EDT by Strongbow]
TCBA,

Very interested in this.

Hey, I forgot about this question. I just attached the DDC adapter to the GS mount. It doesn't tighten down. Once I removed the adapter there was 1 1/4 turn left in the screw. Seems like you could make a relief in the adapter for such a short distance.

Rgr that, but i just ordered the DCC mount from Grey Group as well. Just waiting for them to get my crap to me. :)
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:17:40 AM EDT
I have a gear sector offset mount on my AR and love it. Will buy again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 5:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2011 5:37:53 PM EDT by Strongbow]
My DDC low-profile scout mount and millenium adaptor arrived today. I'm very impressed. Went together easy, locks up solid... nothing not to like.... though I would have liked to get them anodized FDE. Ah well, nothing a little rattle can won't fix!
I think this mount tranforms the M952V from the M600V's chubby sister into a sexy amazon!

Thanks to TCBA_Joe for clueing me in on this.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 5:52:20 PM EDT
My DDC low-profile scout mount and millenium adaptor arrived today. I'm very impressed. Went together easy, locks up solid... nothing not to like.... though I would have liked to get them anodized FDE. Ah well, nothing a little rattle can won't fix!
I think this mount tranforms the M952V from the M600V's chubby sister into a sexy amazon!

NP

BTW... Pics???

Also, it seems an m952v on an offset would be a better match with an IR OTAL or ITAL than the DBAL, as there's no 2nd laser to interfere with.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 6:07:00 PM EDT

NP

BTW... Pics???

Also, it seems an m952v on an offset would be a better match with an IR OTAL or ITAL than the DBAL, as there's no 2nd laser to interfere with.

I'll post up some pics in a week when I get back off vacation (leaving tomorrow). I have a fake PEQ-15 mounted on the rail right now (just until I get the Class I DBAL). It works fine with the PEQ-15 chassis with a little judicious installation for anyone who has such a thing.

FYI, I have mine mounted on a SCAR16s, so that might make a difference in terms of clearance.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 8:54:20 AM EDT
I've been frustrated trying to find the mount I want for my M620V. Why did Surefire have to move to a bigger mount? It's a real drag.

First, I want to mount it with an offset and inboard angle (ala the DCC mount).
Second, the Vampire lights aren't cheap so I want QD for moving it between guns. Ideally an ADM mount so I can adjust without tools, but it's a light not an optic so maybe I can find a "happy medium" lever adjustment that works on all my rails.

The only QD offset inboard option I've found is the LaRue mount for the M600. That would mean I need to find a M600 body.

Or I could get an E2D body and use the Vltor offset mount on the top rail –– but that would require the use of a spacer since the Vltor mount is for the G2-size lights.

I'm kind of surprised there are not offset inboard QD options for the e-series lights. In the past I've just direct-mounted them to the rail, but that limits flexibility.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:35:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vandal:
I've been frustrated trying to find the mount I want for my M620V. Why did Surefire have to move to a bigger mount? It's a real drag.

First, I want to mount it with an offset and inboard angle (ala the DCC mount).
Second, the Vampire lights aren't cheap so I want QD for moving it between guns. Ideally an ADM mount so I can adjust without tools, but it's a light not an optic so maybe I can find a "happy medium" lever adjustment that works on all my rails.

The only QD offset inboard option I've found is the LaRue mount for the M600. That would mean I need to find a M600 body.

Or I could get an E2D body and use the Vltor offset mount on the top rail –– but that would require the use of a spacer since the Vltor mount is for the G2-size lights.

I'm kind of surprised there are not offset inboard QD options for the e-series lights. In the past I've just direct-mounted them to the rail, but that limits flexibility.

Vandal, what about mounting the DCC m620/millenium on a LaRue mount? Pricey, but there's not a lot of options.

You could also pick up an m600 body cheap. (Mine was $100 w/ a tailcap). Then recoup some of the cash by selling your 620 body. Keep your eyes on the candle power market place.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 10:47:18 AM EDT
I don't understand why Surefire even makes the M952V when they have the M620V. The M952V is just bigger overal for no reason compared to the M620V.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 11:53:43 AM EDT
The tailcap would be one reason. Can't have the XM tailcap on a Scout body. Some users may wish to have the dual-use tailcap of M952V: push button and tape switch on a single tailcap.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 2:27:38 PM EDT

Vandal, what about mounting the DCC m620/millenium on a LaRue mount? Pricey, but there's not a lot of options.

You mean use the DCC adapter on the LaRue scout mount? That's a creative suggestion.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist though, and the M600 body approach seems less kludgey.

You could also pick up an m600 body cheap. (Mine was $100 w/ a tailcap). Then recoup some of the cash by selling your 620 body. Keep your eyes on the candle power market place.

I picked up a E2D body on candle power marketplace today, just to have options to experiment with. I'll keep looking for the m600 body.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:51:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:43:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MOUNT-N-SLOT:
In a month or so, Impact Weapons Components will launch our new 1913 Picatinny Light MOUNT-N-SLOT for M620, Millineum and similar SureFire Weaponlights. Our new mount is way less expensive, bulky with a lower profile & part count than the Gear Sector / LaRue w/ Danger Close adaptor shown above. Pricing will be >$60.00. Seriously, this new mount rocks!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Nice! Man, I'm glad I waited...

Looks like you guys are going to beat Gear Sector to the market with this one.

Nice Work -
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:43:24 AM EDT
In a month or so, Impact Weapons Components will launch our new 1913 Picatinny Light MOUNT-N-SLOT for M620, Millineum and similar SureFire Weaponlights. Our new mount is way less expensive, bulky with a lower profile & part count than the Gear Sector / LaRue w/ Danger Close adaptor shown above. Pricing will be >$60.00. Seriously, this new mount rocks!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

So, you've got pics then?

Also, I remember reading on TOS, you were talking about some IR laser mounting solution. Anything on that?
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 9:17:27 AM EDT
Figures, since I just ordered all my parts yesterday. DoH!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:15:05 AM EDT

MOUNT-N-SLOT

will it be QD by chance?
a deal breaker for me..
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:14:24 PM EDT
I'm curious if the surefire m952 with the QD mount can be mounted to the Gear Sector x series offset mount? That way I can have my light offset like i want, keep the x series mount attached permanently and keep my QD on the 952 that I can remove whenever I need to. Anybody know if this will work?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:10:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By boricua2480:
I'm curious if the surefire m952 with the QD mount can be mounted to the Gear Sector x series offset mount? That way I can have my light offset like i want, keep the x series mount attached permanently and keep my QD on the 952 that I can remove whenever I need to. Anybody know if this will work?

I'd assume it'd work. However, I can't honestly think some something more bulky and excessive.
Top Top