Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:57:29 AM EDT
Normally, I would search, or ask, through the 458 SOCOM site but its been down for a while now.  Does anyone have load data for 458 SOCOM with the 325 grain Hornady FTX bullet using H110/W296 or Lil Gun?  I have Reloader 7 data but I think that powder may be a little slow for my 16" RRA and I already have Lil Gun and W296 on hand.

The new issue of Handloader has an insert supplement on AR-Tactical loads that includes the 458 SOCOM, as well as the other big bores, but they left out the newer .458 bullets recently on the market, such as the Hornady 325 gr FTX and the Barnes 330 grain Flat Nose Solid, as well as a host of other bullets available to the 458 SOCOM. There appears to be a lot of .223 Rem, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 450 Bushmaster and .50 Beowolf data though.

BTW, Handloader also says that H110 and W296 are not equivalent but in fact the same powder from the same source. Others mentioned as same powder with different names were HP-38 and W231, H-414 and W760 and HS-6 and W540 (discontinued). Good stuff to know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Green,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Handloader magazine.  I will look for the issue.

Your thoughts on R7 may be correct, if maximum velocity is your goal.  While I have not used it, I have used H4198 extensively, and the two are neighbors on the burn rate chart.  With the 335 Barnes Banded solid, I can certainly hit the point where more powder is getting me no increase in velocity with my 20" barrel.  The tip on the FTX is likley to cause a bit of crowding in the space under the bullet, so this could exasurbate the problem with a the slightly slower powder.

I have noticed that occasionally I am able to "see" the 458 Board, and there were a few newer posts with the FTX bullet.  I don't remember which powders were being used, but you might find some data.  If I were going to try to work something up, I would likley start with some of the 400 grain bullet data with H110/296.  This might start you out a bit low by bullet weight, but should help with the likley diminished case capacity with the longer (than 300 grain bullet) ftx bullet.

If you (or anyone else) needs any of the stickied reloading data sheets from the reloading section of the 458 board, drop me a note.  I have much in pdf format.

Thanks,

Craig
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually my thoughts were too much flash with R7 rather than velocity loss. And all the data I copied off the 458 SOCOM forums for the 325 FTX was for R7. I think  I copied most of those .pdf's before the board went down.

If you don't want to wait for Handloader magazine, go to www.loaddata.com and look at the "Cartridge of the Month". It has the 458 SOCOM featured (but its only the same data as in the supplement).
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't noticed much flash but then again that vortex works pretty well and I'm shooting during the day..
I was getting an average velocity of 1764fps with 40gr of Re-7 with the 325gr FTX .05 off the lands, using Remington 2 1/2 primers.

Still got more experimenting to do, may try out Alliant 2400 among some other powders.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Green,

I was just on the site and found this thread in the reloading section with some h110 and LG data.  I just left the site and was seeing it.

(link nuked due to non-functionality)

It is in the reloading section on the second page.  If you cannot see the site or the link deadends after some tries, let me know and I will cut and paste some of the info when/if I get in.  Not sure if everyone can get in occasionaly, or whether my Moderator status is helping me.

Let me know,

Craig

edit: nuked dead link

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Graig,

Most likely your Moderator status is helping you getting in to the .458 board.

I just tried and just got the same old "due the spam, board is down... " notification.

But back to topic, I also have can of H110 sitting on my powder cabinet so some recipies for it would be good to have.

I have Remington 300 grs and Hormady 325 FTX's waiting...

Other powders in hand are VV N110, VV N120 and VV N130 and my .458 is RRA upper with 16" barrel...

I wish Cold got some time to get 458 forums soon up and running again with minimal data loss so I could use my 458Finn nick again...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Graig,

Most likely your Moderator status is helping you getting in to the .458 board.

I just tried and just got the same old "due the spam, board is down... " notification.

But back to topic, I also have can of H110 sitting on my powder cabinet so some recipies for it would be good to have.

I have Remington 300 grs and Hormady 325 FTX's waiting...

Other powders in hand are VV N110, VV N120 and VV N130 and my .458 is RRA upper with 16" barrel...

I wish Cold got some time to get 458 forums soon up and running again with minimal data loss so I could use my 458Finn nick again...

W296 and H110 are for, all intents and purposes, the same loading... (reference post only)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not able to see the site, so please go ahead and post the data.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok gang,

I just snagged the two primary threads for the FTX data.  The first was 6 pages of calcs and Quickload stuff, with the 7 page being the new thread with a little 296 data.  This go round I pdf'd the files into one 33 page document, that is about 8 meg in size.  I am not sure about linking a pdf here, so if you'll IM me your e-mail info I will send it.

Next go around  I will see what trying to convert to html migt do, if it looks like I can help mine some of the other board data for folks here who need "stuff".  I have no problem doing this for any of the reasonable requests here.  And certainly I have all of the load data thread table/links stored on my host server, so if anyone needs that let me know.  If Cold says it's ok to link our from here I can do so with some of the data.  I just need to fiddle with formats to make things more sensible.

Dang, gang, we gotta get busy with the data for hunting season, which should be here now and around the corner for all of us.

Craig
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Im loading 32gr of WW296 with an oal of 2.200. Velocity is around 1850 fps if I remember correctly with no pressure signs and 100% weapon function.  This is with a 17" barrel. Groups are running 1.5" at 100 yds.These loads work for ME in MY weapon. Use at your own risk.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top