Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2009 4:21:09 AM EDT
I assume these are 12" but don't see it stated any where. Can someone confirm.
Anybody using one of these rails how you like it?
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Great thanks for the info!! Some sexy looking rifles you got there!
I was worried that it might get in the way with the A-frame on my 20". but it looks like it will work out just fine than.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The bottom rifle is an almost 100% Daniel Defense rifle I put together when I was home on leave. DD upper, lower, barrel (16" that was cut down to 14.5"), sights, vert. grip, BCG, and RIS II that I Gun Koted black.

ETA: One of, if not the best free float rails I have used. I have another one I am using with an SBR build. It will get put together when I get home in January.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Great thanks for the info!! Some sexy looking rifles you got there!
I was worried that it might get in the way with the A-frame on my 20". but it looks like it will work out just fine than.

IIRC the M4 RIS II is about 12.5 inches.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#8]

What kind receivers did you use? or did you coat them to match the rail?
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been meaning to get one of these for a while and this thread re-sparks my interest.  Does SOCOM only us the FDE rail or do they use some of the black ones too?  Any pics of these in use aside from the handful of trial pics?  Which sight is normally issued with these?
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been meaning to get one of these for a while and this thread re-sparks my interest.  Does SOCOM only us the FDE rail or do they use some of the black ones too?  Any pics of these in use aside from the handful of trial pics?  Which sight is normally issued with these?

I have only seen pictures of the RIS II in black and never in person. I am sure that SOCOM uses the FDE though. My RIS II is black because I painted it
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I used have a black RIS II until I RMAed it due to poor receiver alignment. Now I have a FDE one and actually like it more.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#12]
So please excuse my ignorance in the true sense of the word.  But what benefits does the RIS II offer over a DD Lite?  I've been rolling around buying a BCM upper with a FDE Lite rail w/ low pro gas block for some time, I noticed they have a few with the new RIS II FDE rails.  I'm just looking for a reliable shooter, self defense build, other then the M203 mounting capabilities and the fact that the rail comes apart in two pieces (would this be considered a benefit as opposed to a solid rail?) what's the difference between these two rails?  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So please excuse my ignorance in the true sense of the word.  But what benefits does the RIS II offer over a DD Lite?  I've been rolling around buying a BCM upper with a FDE Lite rail w/ low pro gas block for some time, I noticed they have a few with the new RIS II FDE rails.  I'm just looking for a reliable shooter, self defense build, other then the M203 mounting capabilities and the fact that the rail comes apart in two pieces (would this be considered a benefit as opposed to a solid rail?) what's the difference between these two rails?  Thanks for any help.

that's about it.

i have the MK18 RIS II on my SBR and a Lite rail on my 16". love the rails but didn't really need the two piece RIS II, i don't have any plans for a 203. if DD would make the Lite series in the SOCOM FDE i would much rather have that.

MK18 RIS II, 9.55" long
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Again sorry for the thread derail, but, at this point would their be any accuracy or durability loss between the Lite rail and the RIS II?  I'm guessing since it passed the military trials its gotta be true to its reputation.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The RIS II bolt-up plate adds two little "anti-rotation" tabs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I think they do list the RAS II as 12.5" but the numbering is the same as the 12" Lite making them the same size.  I have a friend who put an RAS II on his A4 build so they will fit behind the FSB on a 20" inch barrel.  I read someplace (perhaps Sticks write up) that the DD RAS II was originaly designed for 20" rifle barrels anyway.  The bottom rail on the RAS II is a little higher (lower profile) than the Lite.  I don't think there is any advantage or disadvantage as far as accuracy to either design.  The ability to remove the bottom rail for cleaning is a plus.  I spent several hours cleaning the mud out of a Larue rail once.  While not a must have it's worth the extra $25 or so to me to get the RAS.  Now if I can only decide on the color.....

Does anyone know if a shaved down FSB will fit under the RAS II or do I need to buy the DD gas block?

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been looking everywhere for a mk 18 RIS, anyone know where I can find one?
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy it direct from DD when it is in stock.

https://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=railsystems_risii:railinterfacesystem

So does anyone actually have a picture of a rifle length upper with the M4 RIS II?

Oh BTW, the RIS II has a different profile then the LITE rail.  The bottom rail on the LITE rail is much lower then on the RIS II.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy it direct from DD when it is in stock.

https://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=railsystems_risii:railinterfacesystem

So does anyone actually have a picture of a rifle length upper with the M4 RIS II?

Oh BTW, the RIS II has a different profile then the LITE rail.  The bottom rail on the LITE rail is much lower then on the RIS II.

And that is exactly why I went with the RIS II versus the Lite Rail. I love the profile of the RIS II much better.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sold- Ordered one in FDE from Rainer!
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
M4A1 RIS II IN BLACK:

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0004_39.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0005_41.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0006_32.jpg

THIS IS A PERSONAL RIG OF MINE, UTILIZING A 17" NOVESKE S/S BARREL WITH A RIFLE LENGTH GAS SYSTEM.

Thanks Wes, now I'm going to make my wife even more upset!
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#23]

is that a KAC front BUIS ?
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes a shaved block will fit under the Mk18 rail.  That's how mine is set up.  

12" Lite rails and this M4A1 rail might have the same markings but I do believe the rear and front most rails have longer sections that could contribute to the extra length.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I wanted to use one of these but since I have a pinned Vortex I cannot
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally got her done.

DD M4 lower
DD lower parts kit
CQD rear plate and front sling loop
DD M4 barrel
DD gas block
CMT M4 upper receiver
PRI Big Latch in CMT charging handle
DD bolt carrier group
DD M4A1 RAS II
CMT receiver extension
LMT Sopmod stock
YHM front sight
Matech rear sight
Eotech 512 with GG&G lever
Vtac sling with HK clips.

Link Posted: 1/2/2010 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Finally got her done.

DD M4 lower
DD lower parts kit
CQD rear plate and front sling loop
DD M4 barrel
DD gas block
CMT M4 upper receiver
PRI Big Latch in CMT charging handle
DD bolt carrier group
DD M4A1 RAS II
CMT receiver extension
LMT Sopmod stock
YHM front sight
Matech rear sight
Eotech 512 with GG&G lever
Vtac sling with HK clips.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/120291018/DDM4A1RASII.jpg?t=1262408586

NICE!
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Very nice pics! I noticed that both of you are using the "lighter" version of FDE for your rail covers (obviously to match your furniture). The ladder rail covers that came with mine are considerably darker than say Magpul FDE. Almost like a dark clay color. I actually prefer the darker color, but I cannot find anything else to match it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#32]
My ladders are actually the darker ones which are closer in color to the LMT stock than the Magpul FDE mag. I prefer the darker color but it doesn't really matter since the variance in shades makes for better camo.

I'm going to do one of these in black in a month or so when I feel like spending some more $$$.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top