Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:09 AM EDT
I have serched and read many different posts about these but am still not sure what one i should go with. Can anyone tell me the difference in installation of these? Any other comments about both of them would be appreciated. One of them will be going on my colt 6920. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
To chime in with bigbore, the thing to remember is the Surefire is not a free float.  Depending upon your situation, e.g. working on a Dept of State contract that prohibits mods to weapons using tools, a DD might be out of the question, but you could put on the Surefire and your usage one might be better for you than the other.

I've used both and if given a choice, prefer the Daniel Defense, but plan on taking my Surefire M73 with me the next time I go overseas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the difference between free float and non and the advantages to either?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#4]
SF rail handguards are also lower than the rails on the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the difference between free float and non and the advantages to either?

When you attach gear to FF rails it does NOT effect the weapons point of aim.

Attaching gear to non-FF rails and you can change the point of impact.  How much depends on your shooting style, the amount of gear, and the range.  I wouldn't worry about it under 100y.

The Daniel Defense FF system is also the lightest 4 rail system you can buy, the difference between it and the Surefire M73 is the weight of a typical 6v Surefire Light (Scout or G2).
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
What is the deal with dd being oval? no problems with mounting? Looks like the one i will go with, installation not to diffcult? I will have to get the tools i need,  but no gunsmith needed? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is the deal with dd being oval?

More comfortable when using rail covers - it more closely matches the M4 handguard profile

no problems with mounting?

Nope.  Hardest part is removing the taper pins from the FSB.

,  but no gunsmith needed? Thanks

Well.........
That depends, how handy are you?
For the most part it's pretty straight forward, but removing the FSB pins from barrels can be problematic (particularly if it's a Bushmaster HBAR or M4 type).  I had no problems with my Bushmaster Lightweight, but the HBARs gave me heartaches (even with the proper FSB block and a 4lb hammer).
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Why did DD recently change the locking ring, anyone know?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
daniel defense, larue, kac -- all my favorites. surefire i would consider one of the worst.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top