Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:03:38 PM EST
Question- Can someone walk me through the install on the DD Lite rail?

I have a 9.5 FSP and the primary question I have at this point is whether the barrel nut should securely hold the bolt up plate that the rail attaches to? I installed the bolt up plate as per the instructions and tightened the barrel nut as directed but the plate still has some movement to it... Is the nut supposed to lock down the plate and hold it firmly in place?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:24:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 6:25:34 PM EST by wrenchmonkey]
It will move until the rail is screwed on tight with the allen head screws. Once the screws are tightened down, it will clamp down on the barrel nut, and will stop any movement from there.

Just make sure the gas tube is lined up, and you're g2g once you cinch it down.

ETA: I just found this tutorial http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:05:55 AM EST
I had the same concern when installing mine, and did not want to continue torquing the barrel nut. I contacted DD and they gave me the same answer as in previous post, the retaining ring will stay loose until the hex bolts are installed and tightned. They should make it clear in their instructions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:10:13 AM EST
Or just follow the instructions, and assume the manufacturer knows what they are talking about on their own product.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:34:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By yarbsea:
Or just follow the instructions, and assume the manufacturer knows what they are talking about on their own product.

Yeah, fucking brilliant.

That way, if you just assume something is supposed to be a certain way, and you mess something up, you don't need to worry about it, because, "Well, the MFG probably knows what they're talking about." Right?

The instructions from the manufacturer should be clear at every step. Including a little note that "when you tighten this shit down, there is still going to be some movement".

Unless you've installed one before, you have NO WAY of knowing if that part is supposed to have movement or not.

So when you're cranking on that barrel nut, and you don't know if it's supposed to be tight or not, do you assume "The manufacturer knows what they're talking about, so I'd better get a break-over bar, and crank the shit out of this thing until it's tight".

Or do you assume "The manufacturer knows what they're talking about, so my upper must be out of spec"

Or do you assume "The manufacture knows that they're talking about, so my rail must be out of spec."

The issue isn't that they gave incorrect information here, it's that they DIDN'T GIVE ANY INFORMATION as to how it was going to be.

I'm just going to assume that YOU don't know what you're talking about, and have never actually installed one of these things, let alone read their "instructions".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:16:31 AM EST
The instructions are vague about how the retaining ring will be after the barrel nut is tightened. It's always a good idea to check and not assume what something should be when it is not spelled out in the instructions. I thought that is why we are all here ... to use the knowledge base to prevent mistakes. Just my .02
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:57:21 AM EST
Was the wrench thats required for install included in the price of the rail? All you see on their website is a note warning that their wrench is required. It kind of sucks that you would have to spend an extra $20.00 on an already expensive rail if its not included. Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:28:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By sjohnson12:
Was the wrench thats required for install included in the price of the rail? All you see on their website is a note warning that their wrench is required. It kind of sucks that you would have to spend an extra $20.00 on an already expensive rail if its not included. Just curious.

No .. it's not included. I found a new DD lite rail on the EE for about 70.00 less than retail but then had to by the 20.00 wrench to install it .. and yes .. you need the wrench. In fact I think I saw a new DD 12.0 lite rail for sale in the EE for about 25.00 less than retail and shipped. At the time of my purchase I had no experience with that rail system at all .. but with the knowledge and feedback that I gathered from this site I made my decision to purchase .. and of course I never regretted that decision. Just my .02
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:37:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gatorhunt:

No .. it's not included. I found a new DD lite rail on the EE for about 70.00 less than retail but then had to by the 20.00 wrench to install it .. and yes .. you need the wrench. In fact I think I saw a new DD 12.0 lite rail for sale in the EE for about 25.00 less than retail and shipped. At the time of my purchase I had no experience with that rail system at all .. but with the knowledge and feedback that I gathered from this site I made my decision to purchase .. and of course I never regretted that decision. Just my .02

Thanks, I just didnt want to think I had everything and then realise that I was missing a wrench and wait another few days on getting it shipped.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:57:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gatorhunt:

Thanks, I just didnt want to think I had everything and then realise that I was missing a wrench and wait another few days on getting it shipped.

Yep .. that would suck to have the nice rail and no way to install it .. i'd loose sleep over that one.

Good luck with the rail .. *pointer* if you have a carry handle or one piece scope mount laying around they can help align the rail while you tighten the 6 allen screws. Just attach it across the gap between the upper and the rail and to prevent scratching the rail do it just before you completely tighten the screws and the rail is slightly loose .. then do your last couple of turns to tighten and your done .. aligned and tight.
Top Top