Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 8:54:24 PM EDT
With the arrival of the first 'cool-front' in South Florida this year, I took my 1 mo. old AR (built on 9/13 at 12:01) and 7 -30 rnd mags to a 100 yard outdoor range in Ft. Lauderdale to complete the zeroing-at-50 process, adjust my Eotech, and just have some fun.

In 30 mins. I was shooting decent groups with the iron sights (new Tasco spotting scope and A1 front sight adjustment tool were invaluable here) at 50 and decided to crank up the Eotech.  The dot and 65 MOA reticle were plenty bright after a slight brightness adjustment.  A few turns of a quarter in the 'down' and 'right' adjustment screws and I was shooting similar groups with the rear sight flipped down, using only the red dot.  I now understand what all you optic shooters were talking about when you said that sighting a target is much faster with the red dot than having to align 2 irons.  Definately cool as hell.

At the next 'range cold' call, I pasted 2 new targets on my holder and moved it out to 100 yds.  Refocused the spotter scope for the new distance and spent the next hour discovering how much I have to adjust my aiming with my 50-yd adjusted sights to hit the 100yd targets.  It took a full mag to get it right but once I figured it out, it was a freakin' blast.  Ditto with the Eotech.  I spent the last two mags shooting at the 100yd target standing and kneeling just to see how would do.  I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised.  No 1-inch groups to be sure, but pretty damn good for a 1 month shooter.  About 80% of the rounds were inside an 8-inch black circle at 100yds from a standing or kneeling position.  Not exactly sniper material, but not too bad for a first-timer..  Anyway, I'm happy,...  and that's all that matters.

Got to drive my 66 Mustang to the range in the cool morning air, shot over 200 rounds of .223 with No FTF or FTE.  Zeroed in my iron and optical sights and shot pretty well for relative noob.

Like I said....  Life is GOOD!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool sounds like you had a blast. I also have a 66 stang coupe.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  Mine's a fastback, and I mentioned that I drove it only because it has NO air conditioning and I drive it from the Fall to the Spring.  Humidity here in Miami precludes my driving it comfortably in the summer.  It's gonna be my official Range Ride 'till May.

Is your coupe stock or modded?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
w00t!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top