Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2003 4:58:12 AM EDT
I know that the main thread reads for AR but since the Daewoo is a hybrid,  can/does it apply here?

How reliable is the Daewoo in its DR-200 offering?

Can a new furniture set be found to replace the thumbhole stock?

If it ever needs to serivced, who or where can I send it off to be worked?

And how does it compare with most of the rifles chambered for the 5.56?

Thanks for the board it is great.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sure some of the members will be able to answer your questions.  If not try the general firearms discussion forum located under the armory section.

Max
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a DR 200 and it is very reliable. Some of the magazines I have used with it have not locked back after the last round fired but I ahve not had feeding problems. I have put an Ace postban skelton stock w/pistol grip on it to replace the thumbhole stock and like it very much. You have to install the Ace trigger group and use a USA made magazine in order for it to be legal. The cost of the skeleton stock w/pistol grip and trigger group was about $150.
    As far as parts, I've been holding my breath and hoping nothing breaks on it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Parts? Forget it. There ain't any, and the durn things break forends, but so far as I can tell that's about the worst thing that breaks [:D]

Had a guy on site awhile back who wanted to buy a second rifle to use to cannablize parts for his first piece.  That tells you something about parts availability.

All that being said, I loved my K1 and wish I had it back[;D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The following parts are interchangable with an AR15

Entire Trigger group
cotter pin
that peg thing in the bolt
extractor, ejector, spring...

Mines firing pin broke due to a FCG problem  but I had a new one made at a machine shop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
just saw this post - try the dr200 group on yahoo. there's a firing pin build going on there, and some of the guys have parts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have put an Ace postban skelton stock w/pistol grip on it to replace the thumbhole stock and like it very much. You have to install the Ace trigger group and use a USA made magazine in order for it to be legal.
View Quote

Install a trigger group and use a USA made magazine for it to be legal?

Lost me there.  

A thumbhole stock, by ATF definition is a pistol grip.  Changing to a skeleton stock, with a pistol grip, does not change the legal postban status of a DR200.

Changing to folding, or collapsing stock WILL change its legal status.

However, your point about changing the trigger group and using a USA made magazine makes no sense at all.

There is nothing in the Assault weapon ban about about USA made parts exempting a rifle from its assualt weapon status.  Ditto on the magazine.  A USA Made magazine does not change any legal status either.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
This has nothing to do with the AW ban of '94 and everything to do with the import ban of '89.  You know, the one that forced people to start using thumbhole stocks on all the FALs, HK91s, AKs and the DR200.  You cannot import a weapon that isn't for 'sporting purposes' and you cannot convert an imported weapon into a configuration that would not be importable.  The way around this is to replace enough parts with domestically manufactured parts that the rifle will be 'domestically manufactured' for legal purposes.  You still have to comply with the '94 AW ban, but at least you can get rid of the thumbhole stocks.

With the Ace DR200 kit you have to use domestic mags to have the required parts content.  On the Ace pistol grip kits for AKs and FALs they include domestically manufactured magazine floor plates to get the parts content and the rifle is only legal if you use mags with those replacement floor plates.

If you've ever built an FAL from a parts kit then this is something you need to know since so many of the parts or foreign.

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter25.txt[/url] is a letter from ATF describing the parts content as applied to the DR200.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with the AW ban of '94 and everything to do with the import ban of '89.  You know, the one that forced people to start using thumbhole stocks on all the FALs, HK91s, AKs and the DR200.  You cannot import a weapon that isn't for 'sporting purposes' and you cannot convert an imported weapon into a configuration that would not be importable.  The way around this is to replace enough parts with domestically manufactured parts that the rifle will be 'domestically manufactured' for legal purposes.  You still have to comply with the '94 AW ban, but at least you can get rid of the thumbhole stocks.

With the Ace DR200 kit you have to use domestic mags to have the required parts content.  On the Ace pistol grip kits for AKs and FALs they include domestically manufactured magazine floor plates to get the parts content and the rifle is only legal if you use mags with those replacement floor plates.

If you've ever built an FAL from a parts kit then this is something you need to know since so many of the parts or foreign.

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter25.txt[/url] is a letter from ATF describing the parts content as applied to the DR200.

View Quote

Interesting info.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Radius, do you have an address to the DR 200 group on Yahoo?  I tried to do a search and could not find it.  I would like to get an extra firing pin for my Daewoo AR100
                    Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I too would like the address to the DR 200 website on Yahoo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#11]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DR200/

Here you go.

Joe
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anybody know what the rate of twist is for the Daewoo barrel?  Thanks!

Andy
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
IIRC the Dr200 twist rate is 1 in 12.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Have a DR-200 {from when Kimber imported them} with the ACE stock. Had it before any AR have had and would never get rid of it.

Thanks for the Yahoo link gentlmen!!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top