Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 5:49:48 AM EDT
Looking for the Arfcom NV nuts to give me some input on this unit

I've asked around and it seems its the "Cats meow" for Gen 2 multi purpose night vision. Anyone have any opinion on it? Good, bad, ugly?
Obviously, all night vision but the most basic of units is a sizable investment, some I'm trying to gather as many opinion about it as possible. nightvisionforums seems to think pretty highly of the unit, but as I said, looking for everyones opinions.

My usage is pretty straightforward. I'd like one for SHTF, to be either helmet mounted or weapons mounted. I'd mount it to an AR using an EOTech so I can swap it between weapon and helmet depending on mood and not have to worry about re-zeroing it everytime. In time I'd also like it to be able to be mounted to a camera. Engagement ranges between 0-200 yards, give or take.

Ideally I want this and later on get a dedicated rifle scope, but for now I'm looking for a do-all do-good unit and so far this seems to fit the bill.

Thoughts? Opinions? Druthers?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No Gen 2 users?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like the USNV-D 121M.  Seems to be spec'd the same too.  
If it is the same unit, you should be happy with it.  I don't know if the weapon mount will work with your EOTech because the one I got with my 121 made the NV look over the top of the Aimpoint I used.
I had to get a taller Aimpoint mount (GG&G Cantilever) and have a new mount made for the NV to get them to line up..
I still use my 121 once in a while but not as often since I got a PVS-14.  It's not as good as gen 3 of course, but it's pretty close.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It looks like the USNV-D 121M.  Seems to be spec'd the same too.  
If it is the same unit, you should be happy with it.  I don't know if the weapon mount will work with your EOTech because the one I got with my 121 made the NV look over the top of the Aimpoint I used.
I had to get a taller Aimpoint mount (GG&G Cantilever) and have a new mount made for the NV to get them to line up..
I still use my 121 once in a while but not as often since I got a PVS-14.  It's not as good as gen 3 of course, but it's pretty close.

So its a good unit?
Obviously I dont expect Gen 3 performance, but I dont want to drop over a grand and find out its a halfass unit. Seems alot of guys buy Gen 1 then regret it.
I just dont want any regrets thinking I spent a grand and the unit sucks. Granted, I dont expect it to be a Gen 3 unit, but doesnt mean I want a bad unti either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My USNV-D121M is a good unit.  I don't have a D-300 so I can't say for sure.  They look the same and the spec's of 121 and the spec's in the link you put up seem to be the same.  I did pay several hundred bucks more for my 121 tho.
I was able to bang a gong target (a little bigger than a basketball) at about 75 yards very easy without moon or IR.  I could hit a 20"x40" silhouette at 100 meters but without magnification, probably not much farther.
My gun club put a stop to night shooting a while back so I can't try it with my PVS-14 to compare.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My USNV-D121M is a good unit.  I don't have a D-300 so I can't say for sure.  They look the same and the spec's of 121 and the spec's in the link you put up seem to be the same.  I did pay several hundred bucks more for my 121 tho.
I was able to bang a gong target (a little bigger than a basketball) at about 75 yards very easy without moon or IR.  I could hit a 20"x40" silhouette at 100 meters but without magnification, probably not much farther.
My gun club put a stop to night shooting a while back so I can't try it with my PVS-14 to compare.
Sorry I can't be more help.

Hey, you've helped quite a bit so far. No worries man, appreciate it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought the D-300 2+ Mil Spec. Has only two very very tiny blems on the tube. IR seems to be of good range but shows visible red end of the spectrum when viewed from the front. The Focus peices are nice and tight so there is no need of constant readjustment. Uses 1 CR123 battery which is great for long life. Noise isnt too bad, its definitely not great (compared to Gen3), I believe my is rated at like 11500. Resolution came in at 28lp. I believe the tubes that are in the D-300's are Litton's coming from an unused vacuum sealed military storage in Israel.

For a $1000 Gen2+ unit you cannot go wrong.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top