Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2015 11:07:41 PM EDT
I'm wanting to build my first AR.

I'm thinking of getting a 16" DS Arms complete upper (along with their charging handle and BCG) with 1/7 rifling and a chrome bore. I'll probably get a DSA complete lower as well.

This is just a basic rifle I want for home defense and basic range shooting. I'll probably toss on a carry handle for a good set of iron sights.

Does this sound like a good setup or should I buy something else? My budget is $700.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used a LOT of DS Arms parts and while I believe they are good to go, I think the prices on their uppers is a little steap these days. Unless you see a product I haven't seen, their uppers are about $300 WITHOUT a BCG and they just raised the price of their BCGs, so you're looking at $400+ for a complete upper. I'd watch PSA untill something comes up that is (A)cheap and (B) what you want.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used a LOT of DS Arms parts and while I believe they are good to go, I think the prices on their uppers is a little steap these days. Unless you see a product I haven't seen, their uppers are about $300 WITHOUT a BCG and they just raised the price of their BCGs, so you're looking at $400+ for a complete upper. I'd watch PSA untill something comes up that is (A)cheap and (B) what you want.
View Quote

I just looked at a similar upper from PSA. It's $279.99 without BCG or charging handle. The one that I want from DSA is $330. However, DSA does have a 14.5" upper for the same price as the PSA. Any reason I shouldn't go with the 14.5" to save the money?

How are PSA shipping times right now?

EDIT: Just looking over PSAs prices on other things. Their lower is about $50 cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are going with a pistol, you will have to pin the muzzle device or buy a stamp for the 14.5" because it would be considered a SBR.  The stamp is $200 so that won't be saving $$$.  I don't have any PSA products but the consensus seems to be stick with their "Premium" line and you are GTG.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#4]
A good bcm upper and psa lower is a vombo that is hard to beat, psa is good too
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
DS has a great deal on a 14.5" barrel assembly, add the long flash hider and pin & weld it.
Get an Anderson upper & lower receiver combo from AIM and then build the rest out...that should be in your budget easily.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I've purchased one complete upper and one barrel from DS Arms. They have great prices and customer service.
Quality seems comparable to most mid-grade companies.
I've also talked to several of the fellows in the "Pro Shop", needing additional info. or advice on a purchase.
They were very professional and helpful.

All that said- only had one issue with their products,
The complete upper I bought would not cycle but the fix was easy. The assembler forgot to install the roll pin in the FSB/gas block, causing
the gas tube to be mal-aligned.
When I called them they actually admitted that this was not an isolated incident (that was brave and brutally honest).
They sent out a roll pin immediately and I had it in a couple of days.

As a side note: When I called about this problem I asked if they test fired their uppers. They said no and I told
them that this problem could have been averted if they did.

I would still buy from DS Arms because I never swear off a company who makes a mistake.
The test is- how does the company resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
They also have a lifetime warranty.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top