Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 7:23:44 PM EDT
I used a DPMS parts kit on a Bushmaster lower.  Everything went togather well except the takedown pins didn't fit.  A buddy of mine had some Bushmaster pins and they went in just fine.  The other thing is that my trigger is gritty as hell.  Is this common or is this a problem with DPMS kits?  What should I do?  Should I fork out more money and get Bushmaster parts?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Myself and others I know have been having some quality issues with DPMS of late. A hammer sear surface of very poor quality was one issue. I will be buying from Bushy, for one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I and several others on this board had a problem with DPMS parts kit pivot and take-down pins, but I can't find the post (May'04 posts archived?).

Basically DPMS parts are good, but they must have had a run of out-of-spec pins.
Both were completely unusable without  major fitting headaches and filing.
I replaced them with spares, and it was only an issue in 1 of the last 4 DPMS parts kits I've used lately. One kit, both pins; I believe there was a MidwayUSA retailer connection as well, but don't recall. (no fault of Midway's -- the kits were sealed DPMS parts kits.)

Independantly of DPMS, most of my stock triggers are gritty until broken in a bit.

Try the polishing recommended in the "15 minute trigger job" posted somewhere on this site -- it really makes a difference.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
DPMS lower parts kit in my recent build, not 1 problem!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the hijack, but this seemed like a good place to ask this question.  Can someone tell me whether the the right side of a DPMS safety selector (the portion that protrudes from the right (mag catch button) side of the receiver) has the engraved line to show selector position?  My receivers have Safe and Fire marked on the right side, but most of the selectors I've seen don't have the engraved line.

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
K9Reserve, nsw, & otto_esq, have you called DPMS to ask them about this?  My guess is that they would stand behind their products.  800/578-3767 or 320/258-4448.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure they probably would, but at the time I didn't bother because I had spares.  Thanks for the numbers, I'll call them.  
BTW I noticed that my latest DPMS kit (Sept from Brownells) has a darker coating on the pins, as opp. to the green-grey of the earlier series.

George-in-Wis:
No, to my knowledge DPMS does not, but my lone RRA LPK does have a selector so marked.
Also very good parts -- if I had to pay more than dealer cost for a DPMS LPK, I think I'd use RRA instead.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Otto!  That's the information I was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Hardcase:
Thanks again for the number; they're sending me a replacement pivot and takedown pin without requiring me to do anything more.  Funny... he asked me if they were oversized.
(and a catalog)
(and they have dealer pricing for C&R holders, too.  I liked DPMS products, but now I think I'll really like DPMS as a supplier)

George-in-Wis:
No problem; I like the notch as well, and have often thought of adding my own to the selectors I have.

Cheers,
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry for the hijack, but this seemed like a good place to ask this question.  Can someone tell me whether the the right side of a DPMS safety selector (the portion that protrudes from the right (mag catch button) side of the receiver) has the engraved line to show selector position?  My receivers have Safe and Fire marked on the right side, but most of the selectors I've seen don't have the engraved line.

Thanks for your help!

I have three new DPMS lowers sitting in front of me that I just picked up from CMMG this past week, and the right side of the DPMS safety selector  (from a DPMS lower parts kit) does not have an engraved line to indicate the selector position.  The lowers do have 'FIRE' & 'SAFE' labels on the right side though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hardcase:
Thanks again for the number; they're sending me a replacement pivot and takedown pin without requiring me to do anything more.  

Parts arrived yesterday.  Great service and positve experience dealing with DPMS directly (first time -- all my DPMS parts to date have come though dealers: Del-ton, MidwayUSA, Brownells.)

Cheers,
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Hardcase:
Thanks again for the number; they're sending me a replacement pivot and takedown pin without requiring me to do anything more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts arrived yesterday. Great service and positve experience dealing with DPMS directly (first time -- all my DPMS parts to date have come though dealers: Del-ton, MidwayUSA, Brownells.)

Glad to hear that it worked out well.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top