Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 2:22:35 PM EDT
I need some first-hand opinions QUICK - are DPMS LOWERS OK? I'm tired of waiting for Ameetec to ship my Mega, and I can get the DPMS locally for $109.

[Edited title]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They are fine, but I won't argue the eye part....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I need some first-hand opinions QUICK - are DPMS LOWERS OK? I'm tired of waiting for Ameetec to ship my Mega, and I can get the DPMS locally for $109.

[Edited title]

You'll shoot your eye out.

TRG

You should quit masturbating so violently....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to hijack but how can you tell whether the lower is cast or not. I read somewhere that the serial number starts with an "F" but I can't find where I read that. Mine doesn't start with an F just numbers so I take it that it is cast? I bought it on a spur of the moment. I didn't know they made cast and forged.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three AR's built on DPMS lowers, and these lowers are excellent.

Forged vs Cast, other than the serial numbers, which are stamped in, forged has all other markings stamped in, pressed in, whatever.  The letters go into the metal.  Cast, the letters and markings stand out from the receiver.

Forged have innies.

Cast have outties.

Mine are all forged, and I paid more than $109.  I assume the one you are looking at is cast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
i paid 159 bucks for mine, eeek ...yeah in 99. they are not a very stout receiver. but i havent had one problem yet. for the money .. id rather go with a cheap oly...89 bucks. depends on what you want to do.. if you want somethin that can withstand a car runnin over it, you might want to do some more shopping. but, everything fits nice in a dpms...i havent had to clear any holes or retapp the pistol grip threads, unlike a couple of my olympics.. since its only 109 bucks, id rather spend that, then what i paid originally... and oh yeah, mine was a cast.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Does DPMS have the "raised shelf", i.e. are they milspec?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I would own one without reservation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Where can you get the dpms lower at? Everywhere I've tried is sold out. Several ffl dealers I've called said they could'nt get one till mid nov. Any help would be greatlyappreciated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got one from LoneStar Whole Sale.  They are nice to deal with.  My lower is stamped so I gues it's forged.  everything looks good and it fit both my dpms upper and my colt upper no probs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

[Edited title]

Buy....now....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

[Edited title]

I've bought two DPMS cast lowers. The second was out of spec and needed mods to work. I did it but shouldn't have to.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#13]
i've owned their stainless steel, forged, and cast lowers.  i would buy a forged one again without hesitation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
So if I have a DPMS lower that the writing (serial number etc.) is etched on but does not start with an "F", I have a DPMS forged lower?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to start the mother of all flame posts...but RGUNS has DPMS lowers for $99. I live about an hour from that place and have had good luck buying some stuff there. I am able to see before I buy, though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The serial numbers are stamped in whether cast or forged.  EVERYTHING else is stamped in on forged, and is raised on cast.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not to start the mother of all flame posts...but RGUNS has DPMS lowers for $99. I live about an hour from that place and have had good luck buying some stuff there. I am able to see before I buy, though.

Dont support a-holes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#18]
have had a DPMS lower for about a month now and It is very nice no problems what so ever..  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the opinions guys.

Looks like Ameetec finally shipped my Mega lower. I was trying to cancel the order, but they were going to charge me a restocking fee, even though it hadn't shipped since they had gone through the hassle of boxing it up and all.

Maybe next time. When I talked to the shop last week, they said they only had cast lowers. When I called Monday  night, he said they were forged. I'm thinking they were probably cast, because $109 is cheap for a DPMS forged lower in a local store.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i've owned their stainless steel, forged, and cast lowers.  i would buy a forged one again without hesitation.

+1

Some of my favorite ARs I have are built on DPMS lowers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a complete rifle from CMMG in Fayette, Mo. They are one of the sponsors here. They have alot of receivers in stock. Go to their web site. They are great people to deal with and know their rifles. They are a DPMS dealer.
Bill
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
DPMS Forged lowers have SN# That start with an F or FE. DPMS cast lowers have #s only whether they have raised letters or engraved, early recievers A1 style late models are A2 configured. If the receiver has an S or SS sufix they are stainless steel. The investment castings originally came from one of Rugers casting plants.Per DPMS they have now discontinued the alluminum cast recievers as of july this year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I checked and I have a cast. Oh well. Live and learn. Maybe since they are discontinuing them it will be a collector's item:)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top