Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:50:31 PM EDT
A friend of mine gave me a DPMS 16" barrel with fsb, gas tube, and handguards. The barrel is stamped DPMS 223 1x9. I am guessing it is a heavy barrel since it only changes diameter once, right behind the gas block. My other barrels have 5.56 NATO stamped on them, is the 223 stamp just what DPMS does? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I would assume it is only .223.  I have a DPMS 16" HBAR and it's stamped 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would assume it is only .223.  I have a DPMS 16" HBAR and it's stamped 5.56.

+ 1
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
So I guess for a 3rd AR/plinker the 223 ONLY really isn't that big a deal, huh?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
A friend of mine gave me a DPMS 16" barrel with fsb, gas tube, and handguards. The barrel is stamped DPMS 223 1x9. I am guessing it is a heavy barrel since it only changes diameter once, right behind the gas block. My other barrels have 5.56 NATO stamped on them, is the 223 stamp just what DPMS does? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Barrels that are stamped .223 are just that and only .223 ammo is required "good brass ammo". As for your others 5.56 NATO you can shoot both 5.56 and .223 which is great. If its a bull barrel there is a good chance that it has a special chamber also, which are closer tolerances. The 5.56 NATO ammo has more chamber pressure and could be harmful to you and damage the rifle, and also spit out primer which could get caught in the BCG. A 5.56 round in a .223 chamber (not a good idea) does not allow the case to expand properly and the excess pressure pops out the primer, or causes the case to get stuck in the chamber...Good look..

I just sold my DPMS due to this reason, I did not want to seperate my ammo for my different rifles. But I can say one thing the bull barrel I had shoot great and held a very nice group...Great tarket, long range, and very accurate rifle..

Here

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
E-mail DPMS and ask.  I recall hearing that their barrels are all 5.56 except for the stainless bull barrels, which are 223.  They'd know for sure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help. I guess I wont worry to much about it. As I have yet to buy any 556 ammo. All I have really seen at the local gun shops is 223. I will give dpms a call though just to be sure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top