Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 8/12/2009 1:09:01 PM EST
A friend of mine is looking into puuchasing one of these for his first AR. It looks like a good rifle and he can get it out the door for under $650. What kind of reviews do these get and is that a fair price?
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 1:14:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/12/2009 1:15:20 PM EST by HardShell]
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 1:31:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/12/2009 1:36:05 PM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 1:33:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Also no chrome lining in the barrel as I remember it. Quite a few corners cut. At a minimum you are looking at immediatly buying a scope or irons, so add that to the price. Personally I would not look at it for anything but a playgun for someone who wants an AR to shoot beer cans in the back yard once in awhile in the summer. If he is looking for a serious self defense carbine I would pass on this

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:26:28 PM EST
IIRC no front sight, dust cover, forward assist, or brass deflector, a friend of mine bought one for his son and he said it shoots and functions good but for the same money you can buy a kit and a lower and have a nicer gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:30:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Also no chrome lining in the barrel as I remember it. Quite a few corners cut. At a minimum you are looking at immediatly buying a scope or irons, so add that to the price. Personally I would not look at it for anything but a playgun for someone who wants an AR to shoot beer cans in the back yard once in awhile in the summer. If he is looking for a serious self defense carbine I would pass on this
For $ 550 he could get a J&T kit with a chrome lined barrel http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_k_c16k.html and then get a $ 100 lower somewhere and he could build a carbine with sights, chrome lined barrel and dust cover.

Personally I think he's better off spending some money and getting a decent carbine that he can bet his life on and which will probably outlast him, LMT upper and build a lower out of decent parts, that's what I did and I have been using mine for years with no problems

i would suggest this route also, very high quality rifle kits.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 9:51:03 PM EST
+ 1 on jtdistributing. great guys to deal with
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 12:55:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2009 12:55:59 PM EST by Acutus]
I'm certainly not going to dispute anything said here but I recently purchased a DPMS Low Pro Classic, which is a "Sportical" with a heavy barrel. I absolutely love it.
Of course my life doesn't depend on it and I very seriously doubt I'll ever be able to shoot out the barrel.

My question is, I hear that chrome lined will last 2X longer, what is a typical round count one can expect from a non-chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:32:32 AM EST
I have a low pro classic which is the heavy barreled version and I love it. It has taken all the abuse I have thrown at it with no problems. Its not battle ready like my M4gery but thats not what I bought it for. As far as an entry level rifle goes its a good buy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:23:28 PM EST
thats what ive been hearing from a lot of people. i will buy a A3 20" rifle upper or the 24" inch lo pro bull barrel upper. i already bought this rifle. minimal cleaning and no stopages in 100 rnds. in 10 shot groups 6 go in to 1 hole at 100 yards the other 4 were close but my fault. its a nice light rifle. i like it. put a k2.5 on it. $50. extra high weaver rings from walmart. $10. friend gave me 2 30rnd mags. free. an m4 it is not. total for the rifle was $680. dont really like the m4 i like the 20" rifle. i couldnt find one close so i got this. just bought a 700 rnd tin of silver bear to play with. this rifle is neat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:26:28 PM EST
I just finished putting together a rifle. it ended up being all dpms, though parts were purchased each seperately (lower, parts kit, 6 pos stock, and dpms complete upper). i ended up with a nice mforgery for right around $600 total. only thing not in that cost was a carry handle i added to the flattop, which i had laying around.

and this entire gun was purchased in parts SINCE last november.

i dont know where i was going with this, so take it for what its worth
Top Top