Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 7:00:17 PM EDT
The question I have is would a very early DPMS,with  no panther logo and serial number under 300 be cast or forged?

Bob
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:30:19 PM EDT
I had two, one in the 3000 range and the other in the 10,000. Both were cast, the one in the 3000 range was unfired, the other was a shorty(Car15) I never had any problems with it. Traded it for a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:20:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
I had two, one in the 3000 range and the other in the 10,000. Both were cast, the one in the 3000 range was unfired, the other was a shorty(Car15) I never had any problems with it. Traded it for a Colt.
View Quote

But cast is no good right?

Should I unload it quick?

Bob
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:04:35 AM EDT

A cast receiver, if well made, is just as good unless you are going to run over it with a truck.

I always buy forged because it is stronger, and only about $30 more in most cases, but if I had a cast preban by a major manufacturer such as DPMS, I would use it and enjoy it.

Also there is this: Most manufacturers will upgrade your older preban receiver with a new forged receiver with the same preban serial number, for the cost of a new receiver plus a small fee.  I would do that before I would sell it. Call DPMS and ask them about your concerns. I bet they can work with you.

_DR
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:26:19 AM EDT
As mentioned the forged ones are stronger, I wouldn't worry about it. I never had any problems with the one I had. I only traded it because it was a good trade for me. I shot the piss out of it, never had a single malfunction.
Top Top