Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/22/2004 7:59:39 PM EST
Ok, so I read all these articles (magazines/forums) about this new 308 DPMS. I want to buy a new gun in AR form so why not a bigger bore? I placed an order at williams gun sight in Flint, MI. The rifle was backordered 6 weeks! so I patiently waited And bought some upgrades to have when the rifle showed up i.e. new grip and stock.

The first day I recieved the gun I went out and ran into problems imediately. It short cycled and pinched a shell on the fourth round after inspection and some testing I realized it was the same magazine on the second to last shell everytime. So I called DPMS and in their defence they were very very helpful. He said they were having problem with the magazines and they would send me a new one. He also stated they were comming out with metal ones soon and they were offering a trade in for the polymers.......still waiting to hear. I also did take complete care during break in swabbing, clean , degreese, ect.

The only bullet I pulled a good group with so far is 168 federal bthp match. all other ammo My gun Will NOT cycle right. Soft points mash, and alot of surplus ammo jams, the gun also does alot of damage to the bullet when auto loading into the chamber. I recently instaled a 2 Stage Jewell trigger and had in profesionally adjusted and locktited. Another product that helped me was FP-10 This stuff is AWSOME!! It hepld my jamming problems alot. I'm going out tomorrow to shoot some handloads: Hornandy 168 match in federal casings with accurate 2520 "camp perry" powder. Trijicon accupoint 3-9x scope. should shoot half to three quarters at 100 yards

This gun has had its problems but it is truley a joy to shoot I think a JP adjustalbe gas block and compensator will complete this project maybe a cryo and fluting.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:30:10 PM EST
What length barrel do you have on your LR-308
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:32:42 PM EST
the barrel is a SS 24in 1/10 twist
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:12:05 AM EST
Man I had two DPMS LR .308 and they functioned "Flawlessly, accurate as hell, and the best bang for the buck in any rifle. I still have one that currently at ADCO fo some slight mods. Can you say DPMS LR SPR .308.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:30:46 AM EST
I shot this after noon, shot some of the best groups this gun has ever produced. Two stage jewell tirgger is deffinetly worth it. also no jaming with the new handloads.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:11:02 PM EST
308panther,
Have you had any problems with the 2 stage Jewell trigger igniting primers yet? I have always heard the hammer does not reliably ignite .308 primers (hammer spring too weak). Please keep us posted on any primer ignition problems because I want to put a Jewell trigger in my 308 panther also, if there are not any primer ignition issues.
Did the trigger go in without any problems?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:24:18 PM EST
The Trigger went in with no pproblems in about 20 minutes, make sure to get the small pin version. The only problem I've had with primers is I blew out about three in a row on a set of handloads and decided to pull the rest. But as far as not ingiting that has never been a problem. This trigger helps soo much. I know its a benchrest trigger but im deffnetly using this gun for deer hunting.
Top Top