Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2009 11:43:59 AM EDT
I hate to post the "I need parts" topic, but I am at a total loss after spending weeks trying to find the parts that I need to complete my DPMS .308 builds.

I have 2 Lowers that are ready to go except I can't find:
- Front Pivot Pin
- Rear Pivot Pin
- Bolt Catch Screw

DPMS is showing them as Backordered, probably would have to wait months if not a year to get anything from them.

I have checked with everyone else I can possibly think of and no one has any.

I could buy a complete .308 Lower Parts Kit, but they are very difficult to find and the prices are astronomical, not to mention I only need 3 parts out of the entire kit.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or can provide the parts I will do whatever I can to pay back the assistance.

Does anyone know if there are any other parts out there that are compatible / interchangeable?

Thanks,
Capt Richardson
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a 7mm bolt or a 9/32 shoulder bolt until you get the real thing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS is showing everything as out of stock.  They posted in respond to someones "I need a buffer" post, saying they do have them.  So they do have stuff, but don't show it on the website.

Don't take what the website says, call DPMS and ask them.  You may be surprised, (or maybe not, but is only a phone call).

––––––––-
ETA, now I notice you read that post and got the company line from them.  If you find a bolt stop screw, I need one too!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Capt., Have you checked with fulton armory?  Their website shows the items you want in stock.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Or if DPMS IS out which I doubt, you can get them in stock here:

This
this
and this
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the help!

I always forget that the Fulton Armory Titan and the DPMS are interchangeable in some cases. I also don't usually check Fulton Armory because their website drives me nuts the way they stick everything on a single page and you have to scroll down through everything to try and find what you are looking for. They also don't have real good descriptions and pictures on everything so it can be hard to tell at times exactly what you are buying.

Not sure what is up with Midway, I just checked their site over the weekend and they were not showing the parts, so maybe some just arrived first of this week?

Any way thanks again, I can finally get these two Lowers completed, assuming one of them will deliver!

Best of Luck
Capt Richardson
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I just taked to midway, and they said the bolt catch screw came in "twenty minuted ago".

I had that and several other parts on back order for a month, and that was the last piece.  So my little pack of goodies should be on the truck soon.  The lady was surprised I called in the brief period between when the parts showed up and when the back order was released.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Update,

PARTS AVAILABILITY
Spoke with both Midway and Fulton Armory and they do currently have the "critical" .308 specific lower parts in stock. Those parts are the front and rear pivot/takedown pins, and the bolt catch screw.

.308 SPECIFIC PARTS
That being said, I also called DPMS to confirm that those 3 parts were the only parts that were specific to a .308 lower. Much to my surprise, I was told that the Bolt Catch was also a .308 specific part. I also noted in another post that someone else was also refering to the bolt catch as a .308 specific part.

I then checked the schematics on the DPMS website, and based on the pictures, the Bolt Catch for a .223 AR and a .308 AR appear to be identical.

If need be, I will be tearing down one of my .223 and .308 rifles when I get home and comparing parts.

So can anyone clarify?

Thanks,
Capt Richardson
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The pivot pin, take down pin, bolt catch screw, and bolt catch are all 308 specific.

The bolt catch used to be the same one that was used on the 223. Either "should" work. The new 308 bolt catch looks to be a little beefier like the one in the AR10.

The nice thing about the screw is that it should be a little easier to change the bolt catch from 223 to 308 style.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
You can make do with an AR 15 bolt catch until you can get the 308 version in hand.  My understanding is that 308 type ARs had a reputation for breaking bolt catches due to the increased BCG mass and stronger spring.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the feedback.

Further research, further results,

If you check the DPMS website, and actually bring up the individual part and picture for the .308 Bolt Catch, it does appear to be different (does not match the one in the group schematic, DPMS UPDATE YOUR $#!@).

Fulton lists a Bolt Catch, Titan, Heavy Duty, which I would assume is the "new/heavier/.308 specific" bolt catch.

So it looks like the the ".308 Specific Parts List" just went from 3 to 4!

Thanks Again,
Capt Richardson
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top