Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:24:04 PM EDT
Hey,A friend of mine gave me 40 rnds of SA surplus ammo the other day. I went to the range with my DPMS 308 LR and loaded my 2 20 rnd mags. The first 3 rnds of both mags had trouble striping the rnd and chambering it, but after the first 3 it went through both mags with out any problems. I was suprized because I thought I read here that these rifles have alot of trouble shooting surplus ammo unless you polish the chamber. Has any one else had any luck with surplus ammo in there DPMS with out polishing the chamber?

James
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:39:04 AM EDT
Sure have, when I first got my Panther 18" there was a note from DPMS in the case that there was feeding problems with SA Surplus and to use only new production ammo, well hate to say that as much as I shoot surplus ammo is for me due to cost, I had at the time about 1000rnds of SA surplus and another 1200 of ADI on my first trip out the first 20 fired without fail and then it choked on the next 180, it would not feed (not strip off another round bolt went right over the top) so I had to cycle the bolt each time.
Quite disappointed after getting home a ex-milt friend of mine said to clean and polish the inside of the mags and then load them up and let them sit for a couple of days and then off to the range we go, I usually go thru 150-200rnds each time out.
Getting to the range I was really impressed this time as I had no failures except for the first one out of the mag it would hang after that we just loaded them with 18 and had NO FAILURES and had not polished anything except the mag body, since that day about 5-6 weeks ago I have gone thru about 1000 plus rnds and all have been surplus and all have performed well I just have gotten used to the fact of only loading 18 in the mag and have had no problems, I have to say that the fit and finish is Damm near if not perfect in my opinion and is wearing very well, I traded off a FAL Clone to finance this investment and am glad I did.
So to all out ther try diffrent brands of ammo (stay away from the Indian crap!!) but SA, ADI and Port function very very well in my rifle and if you decide to polish be careful as you can ruin a rifle and void warrantys.
I see now that DPMS says ther rifles come with 19rnd mags, I bet they are 20's , in my opinion the body's are just abit to short and that 20th round is just to much
Sorry for rambling, Have a GREAT Christmas I sure will with my new rifle from DPMS!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:30:33 PM EDT
I took my 24" LR308 tyo the range last week. The rifle only has 185 rounds thru it now. All but 10 have been match ammo from several producers. At the end of the session, I shot two 5 round groups using SA surplus, just to see if it would function. One 1 1/2" group and one 1 3/4" group. It functioned fine, which is good, because I have 1500 rounds of SA.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:18:07 PM EDT
Mine shoots delinked British 7.62mm 147grn FMJ ammunition fine. I was having feedings problems with my DPMS .308. I returned the upper and they polished the feed ramps so it runs fine now. I wouldnt run really "bad" ammo through it - but most milsurp should be safe.

A giant + 1 for DPMS and their customer service with my Feeding issues.
Top Top