Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 8:49:56 PM EDT
This is most likely a complete newb question but I am looking at getting my first AR15 and I've been looking at the Sportical mainly for the price (at first I was wanting to build one but right now I just want something so I can start shooting and I'll build one later on down the road). The question I have is that is there no possible way to put iron sights on the Sportical? or am I just reading the website wrong. It says it comes with no sights which is obvious by the pictures but it says "mounting optics only" does that mean scopes and red dots only or does that include iron sights?

Sorry for the newb question. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
totally understand, im a newby too, buti ive been doing research for about 7 months, and just bout the parts to put a complete gun together, havent gotten them yet, but YES you can put sights on, look up detachable carry handle, and detachable front sight, here is a link for ya.
detachable carry handle
detachable front sight
and then they have flip up sights as well.
but just to help ya, dont get a DPMS sportacle, probly the biggest waste of money,  buy a RRA or stag, or a M4 build kit. or if your looking for a good begginer M4 that will hold up, heres the link it the CMMG bargain closeout.
CMMG M4 $600

hope this helps out....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response. I was initially looking at RRA but would rather not spend much more money than I want to spend right now. What's the M4 build kit you are talking about? Also I saw the CMMG bargin bin but I don't want to possibly end up with a trade-in or something. If it was an overrun or something I would do it but the possibility of the used gun is what turned me away initially.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick response. I was initially looking at RRA but would rather not spend much more money than I want to spend right now. What's the M4 build kit you are talking about? Also I saw the CMMG bargin bin but I don't want to possibly end up with a trade-in or something. If it was an overrun or something I would do it but the possibility of the used gun is what turned me away initially.

A build kit is an AR kit that comes with every pice to assemple an AR EXCEPT the stripped lower.  stripped lowers range from 90-180, depending on what brand you want, and then some high name brand have deal like Spikes does right now for them, 89 bucs, for a top brand, i bought one, anyways,
here are sum links for ya, you can pick and choose the barrel length, the lining, the type or AR, everything, M4 is just a style, its better then a regular lightwieghted AR.
delton kit
JT kits
Mil surplus kits

theres others but youll get the jist, hope these help, IM if ya need more info...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
The Sportical would be a good entry level rifle if the price is right. You'll have a useable rifle right from the box and can decide what options to change/add later as you desire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Sportical would be a good entry level rifle if the price is right. You'll have a useable rifle right from the box and can decide what options to change/add later as you desire.

I found one for $650 shipped so after FFL transfer fees it'll come in around $680-690
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're set on a Sportical, then go for it. The advice I'd offer to you is that the difference in quality between that ~$700 DPMS Sportical and let's say, a ~$900 Bushmaster, Stag, etc is far greater than the extra $200. If you spend a little more on quality up front, you'll be happier with your purchase and spend less in the long run.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The sportical will do the job. However it's missing features other AR's have.  Add the cost of sights to it.  You can't expect to shoot it without sights.
Now your at $750 ish.
I would buy something else. Save a few more weeks & get something that's more like a RRA or even DPMS has better models for not much more then $800.
Also I would not stay away from a used rifle.  Especially those bargain bin ones, They are inspected.  Your a new AR shooter, your going to use the rifle, & learn on it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You can find an AP4 for under $800 if you look hard enough.
Despite the bad mouthing DPMS get on this site, they make a solid rifle. I have an AP4 and love it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok after seeing the special on Spike's Tactical lower receiver's I think I have decided to go back to the building route. I have a question about their lower's though. What's the difference b/w the "ST-15 stripped rifle lower Semi/Safe" and the "SL-15 stripped rifle lower with safe/semi/auto bullet markings"? Is there an advantage to one or the other and what are the actual differences?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok after seeing the special on Spike's Tactical lower receiver's I think I have decided to go back to the building route. I have a question about their lower's though. What's the difference b/w the "ST-15 stripped rifle lower Semi/Safe" and the "SL-15 stripped rifle lower with safe/semi/auto bullet markings"? Is there an advantage to one or the other and what are the actual differences?

The only difference in those receivers is how they look. The "bullet markings" version has pictograms in the safe/semi/auto selector positions. It's a personal preference issue, nothing more. You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal on a quality stripped lower receiver right now than the Spike's deal.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I will be ordering a couple Spike's lower myself shortly!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I know there are some write-ups/how-to's on here but how hard and how long does it normally take to build your own AR? This will be my first time building one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I know there are some write-ups/how-to's on here but how hard and how long does it normally take to build your own AR? This will be my first time building one.

If you're just building the lower receiver, and then adding a complete upper, it should take you about 45 minutes to an hour. This is assuming that you have enough technical ability to use a pair of scissors.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#14]
What about those CMMG cosmetically challenged guns at the EE on this site?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep.  I assembled my first stipped lower last week and it took less than an hour.

This link has step-by-step instructions

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I am getting a stripped lower and getting a build kit so I will be building the whole gun. How long should this probably take? I can use scissors 'most" of the time lol
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top