Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2013 6:52:45 PM EDT
The LGS has a DPMS Recon in .308, and I really like it.  Any reason not to get one?  It is $1300.  It is the config in the pic below.

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The LGS has a DPMS Recon in .308, and I really like it.  Any reason not to get one?  It is $1300.  It is the config in the pic below.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/assets/images/firearms/RFLR-REC.jpg
View Quote

That reason... I found it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/assets/images/firearms/RFLR-REC.jpg

Please explain because I have been thinking about either buying a stripped lower and builing up or buying almost the same model.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I say go for it if it meets your needs, the price seems fair...get it while you can...Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Other than the fact that it is not Knight's, Larue, LMT, etc., is the fact that it is DPMS seriously enough not to buy it?  The trigger does need improvement, but I can do that myself.

I am also considering a CMMG in .308.

I just can't see spending over $2k on one, and don't want to.  I have thought of the M&P 10.  The Sig 716, just so heavy and is it worth an additional $600-700 or even more for the Colt.  I like Colt, I have a 6940 and a 6920.  Bushmaster?  I want something that will take PMAGs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have built a DPMS pattern LR-308 for a close family member ( w/ a DPMS Classic 20" complete Upper in 308 Win) and he purchased a case
of 500 rounds of Federal M80 .308 rounds when it was completed, and he decided to put a whole case of ammo though it , Including some
extra boxes he had laying around in one day ! He told me it ran like a sewing machine...Good God some people have more money than brains
sometimes, but then again why not, it was a blast I'm sure ! He also said accuracy was also excellent (once they decided to shoot for accuracy),
I was a little worried since everything was super tight (the pins were drift punch tight) !
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the CMMG MK3 vs. the DPMS Recon?
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What about the CMMG MK3 vs. the DPMS Recon?
View Quote

Both have good reps...It would be a personal call, IIRC the CMMG is a tad bit lighter, otherwise they are nearly Identical...
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Do they both feed soft points well?
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes.

Armalite.

Forged receivers.
Relieved bolt lug.
workable stock trigger.

If that doesnt float your boat, theres

CORE15 Core 30
Black Rain 308
CMMG MK3
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I fent, I got the Recon.  There are a lot of positive reviews on it from owner, very little negative.  I can't wait to try it out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Let us know how you like it and how it shoots.  I'd like the RECON to be my next purchase.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I fent, I got the Recon.  There are a lot of positive reviews on it from owner, very little negative.  I can't wait to try it out.
View Quote

congrats.. I got out last year about this time and really like it..

I did upgrade the trigger to a RRA 2 stage..

No issues with anything so far.. I have run a couple hundred rounds of Georgia Arms 150 gr FMJ through it, along with a few boxes of Fusion and SST

Brian
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No issues with anything so far.. I have run a couple hundred rounds of Georgia Arms 150 gr FMJ through it, along with a few boxes of Fusion and SST

Brian
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

I absolutely plan on a new trigger, suggestions?  Geissele, RRA?

I may get one of the  Troy TRX Extreme 13.8 rails for it at some point.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a DPMS AP4  upper on a Fulton Armory lower, but I hated the rail and the barrel was way too heavy. Sent the barrel to ADCO to have it re-profiled, and replaced the rail with a Daniel Defense 12.0 LITE rail. It feels so much lighter and handles much better, even with the longer rail.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS AP4  upper on a Fulton Armory lower, but I hated the rail and the barrel was way too heavy. Sent the barrel to ADCO to have it re-profiled, and replaced the rail with a Daniel Defense 12.0 LITE rail. It feels so much lighter and handles much better, even with the longer rail.
View Quote

If you don't mind, what did that cost you?
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I just picked one of these rifles up but I dislike the looks and short length of the rail system.  Any reason one of these wouldn't work?  I couldn't turn it down for the price here especially with the magpul furniture and AAC flash hider to go w/ my delightful little SDN-6.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

Geissele SSA
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Please give us some updates after you shoot it.  How it functions, accuracy etc.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

I really like the CMC or Timney drop-in match trigger units...The CMC wins for better price (~ $160) vs. the Timney (~ $200+), both will work for the AR-10 & AR-308 as well as the AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just picked one of these rifles up but I dislike the looks and short length of the rail system.  Any reason one of these wouldn't work?  I couldn't turn it down for the price here especially with the magpul furniture and AAC flash hider to go w/ my delightful little SDN-6.
View Quote

That free float handguard is for an AR10 so the rail on the upper will not match the rail on the handguard.  DPMS uses two different rail heights for their .308 uppers, a low profile and a high profile.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Please give us some updates after you shoot it.  How it functions, accuracy etc.  Thanks
View Quote

I will.  Unfortunately, I have to go out of town a couple of weekends in a row, so it will be a bit.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That free float handguard is for an AR10 so the rail on the upper will not match the rail on the handguard.  DPMS uses two different rail heights for their .308 uppers, a low profile and a high profile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MI makes that hand guard for DPMS receivers too. Dig a little deeper on their site.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Check out Apex hand guards. Rainiers handles them. It you want the full top rail, to match your DPMS, just get the low one.
Apex hand guards are all I use now on any build. The round guard just feels so much nicer. It's textured. It also allows you to put a rail in whatever position you want it.
Looks muck nicer that the key mod type, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#26]
PRI makes their carbon fiber handguards that fit the DPMS low railed receiver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, found a reason not to get one!

Don't know how or why, but it will not go from safe to fire.  The switch is a little stiff going to safe, but okay.  OTOH it takes SERIOUS pressure to flip from safe to fire.  It worked at the LGS.  Crap, I still have the tag on it.  Done nothing with it.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't know how or why, but it will not go from safe to fire.  The switch is a little stiff going to safe, but okay.  OTOH it takes SERIOUS pressure to flip from safe to fire.  It worked at the LGS.  Crap, I still have the tag on it.  Done nothing with it.  Any ideas?
View Quote

You have the bolt pulled back and the rifle cocked when you do that correct?

If you do, one can always remove the grip, and gently file a little radius on the detent. Or just pop the receiver open, and work it back and forth till it smooths  out. I've used a little Emory on some of my detents when they were new.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

updated my post.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I am thinking of just popping out the FCG and putting in a new detent and/or selector to see if that will work.  A standard AR LPK parts should work, correct?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ronnoc,

Something doesn't seem right, with the hammer cocked back it is hard to switch between safe and fire? Was the grip removed or replaced?
View Quote

Nothing has been changed or removed.  It went from the store to my safe.  I really want to try it out but want to make sure it is gtg.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The re-profiling of The barrel under the hand guard  was $65 USD; I also had a Troy low gas block pinned by them For another $55 USD. The DD LITE 12.0 rail I paid $379 USD. I will try to post picture tomorrow but dealing with my sick dog now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Give us a range report when you can please.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Been on vacation but hope to take ot out this weekend.  

I got the selector working.  I think the detent was hung up somehow.  I had to tap it out.  I put it back in and together and seems to work fine now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I picked one up and broke the barrel in last weekend.  Ran 50-60 rounds through it.  Woke the neighbor up and shot the outhouse.  Everything seemed good.
Will report back when I can get to the range and punch some paper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Took it out today to shoot.  I didn't get a lot of time in due sighting in rifles for deer hunting and helping my son get ready for his first deer hunt.

It shot great, no hiccups.  I put Wolf 150 gr FMJ, Remington 150 gr Corlokt PSP, and Win. 180 gr PSP through it.  Everything shot great for the trial run.  The Win. 180 gr kicked noticeably harder than the others, by a lot.  

I may put a Magpul STR stock on it.  Been thinking of optics and there is a Sig ACOG type in style, but is a straight 4x that has illuminated and non-illuminated recticle, but still looking.

I enjoyed it a lot and happy to have got it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll second the apex hand guard I put one on my DPMS oracle and love looks and the textured grip is great for in the field when hunting. As far as accuracy goes I think DPMS hit a home run with there barrels and price point I'll buy again.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/seasprite/DSCF0429_zps7e230a28.jpg

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/seasprite/168grA-max_zps398bf5b6.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top