Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:46:26 AM EDT
ive been looking into buying an AR for the past few months and i have seen the DPMS ar rifles and very nice prices compared to other AR's.  can anyone give some imput on the quality and riliability of DPMS? if there is positive feedback it will be DPMS for me. if not. i will most likely go with bushmaster or armalite.
thanks in advance
-rookie
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the DPMS rifles, but for value you can't hardly beat Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]

+1,  I also like DPMS but I  would choose a Bushy over one everytime

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Might want to look at Rock River Arms rifles. They often go for a VERY good price and are very good weapons.

I have heard DPMS has some quality control problems. But I have no real experience with them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

But You can! I have a DPMS Panther Carbine (RFA2-PCAR) that cost me about $730 before I started adding to it. I will buy another DPMS over a Bushy anytime. The only other AR I would consider buying would be a Tactical Entry from RRA, and that would be just to have one. That is kind of like buying a Colt just to say you have one. My Panther Carbine has performed flawlessly and its fit and finish is superb. Do not let the others fool you into thinking that a Bushy, or anything else for that matter, is better. I would say DPMS is just as good as any other quality AR. Afterall, we are entitled to our opinion.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
DPMS runs thier chambers on the tight side to get a reputation for increased accuracy, it will not like some brands of ammo.

Wow, did you get this info straight from DPMS, or is this just a guess?

I've not heard anything bad about there current production, but I've heard of some "qc" issues in the past.  I've also heard (from some industry people) that it's all getting better now.

IMHO it's a good AR for the money.  I couldn't argue with a Bushmaster or a  Armalite.

Good luck, and be safe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#7]
DPMS rifles have always been good to everyone I know that owns one. And no, its not just one person They also have great customer service. I just ordered a bull barrel chambered in .223 because that is the only way they sell them. They are going to ream it to 5.56 for free. It may take 2 weeks to get it but I thought the free of charge part of it was very nice. They could have said we don't have any 5.56 bull barrels, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DPMS runs thier chambers on the tight side to get a reputation for increased accuracy, it will not like some brands of ammo.

From my conversation with DPMS when I bought the Panther Carbine, they said to the affect of  recommending not using European brand ammo or WOLF ammo. The suggested using only "Made In USA" ammo. You guys at DPMS can correct if I am conveying this incorrectly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my DPMS A2 20" bull barrel.  Only mistake I made was not getting a FF handguard with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1,  I also like DPMS but I  would choose a Bushy over one everytime

Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I have experience with 3 different carbines from DPMS. They have all been great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
You wont go wrong with the DPMS, my department recently began carrying "patrol rifles" we did evaluations on Bushmasters, Colts, and DPMS. Guess which brand outshot and preformed with NO stoppages during the evaluation? The DPMS, I was so impressed I put up my personaly owned Bushy and purchased a DPMS A1 w/ 16 inch barrel and have never looked back. Not knocking Bushmasters or Colt just telling you what I have personaly seen and experienced.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes, this is true.  I own a DPMS CAR 16 HBAR and it won't shoot some ammo out there but you find what it likes and stick with it.  Sellar and Bellot, UMC, American Eagle and Lake City is what I found mine shoots WELL!!! This is one DAMN FINE AR15!!! So it won't shoot everything ...
but what it does shoot, it is accurate as any AR I've shot.  I can put 20 rounds in the circle about the size of a silver dollar at 75 yds.  This is with a bipod, not free standing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#14]
So what would be the best/least expensive ammo to plink with?

Sorry for the Hi-Jack
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
What I have been mentioning to some these last few days is Georgia Arms G223B "Canned Heat" (.223/5.56) remanufactured ammo. I just got my 1000 rds. the other day. I have had a chance to shoot their ammo and can detect no difference between it and Federal XM193 ammo. Good Stuff. Go for it.

Price: 500 rds.  $85.00
          1000 rds.  $150.00
          (bulk packed in 7.62 ammo cans/ 500 per can)

Telephone: 1-800-624-6861

www.georgia-arms.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Their battle rifles are chambered in 5.56 - their target bull barrels are .223  The ammunition issues usually runs from the higher pressure 5.56 or less consistent foreign ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad to hear some positive for dpms. I just ordered a sweet sixteen, I will see what they are all about. Well in four weeks time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#18]
ok. sounds good.  i believe i will get the m4 model. thanks again for everyones imput

-rookie
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#19]
To chime in late, I have an Armalite, a Colt, and a DPMS.  The DPMS has functioned flawlessly, the finish was better than the Armalite, and it is very accurate so far.  I recommend them, but if you order from the factory, you will wait about 8 wks.  Find someone who has them in stock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So what would be the best/least expensive ammo to plink with?

Sorry for the Hi-Jack

don't apologize.....  just DON'T hijack
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top