Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2009 11:24:13 AM EDT
I have a problem with my BRAND NEW, STOCK DPMS Panther Lite 16. I've read the FAQ, the List Rules, the Sample Post and the Glossary and couldn't find this exact problem. I took it out to the range for the first time today, and got about 15 rounds into shooting when the hammer fell and nothing happened. Just a simple "click". I removed the mag and pulled the charging handle back and the round (Remington 223 55 GR. MC) ejected. Upon inspection of the round, there was no firing pin strike on the primer. So, I reinserted the mag and attempted to charge the rifle. However, as the bolt was moving forward, I noticed that it did not chamber a new round. I then attempted to pull the charging handle back, again, only to find that it was stuck! I removed the mag and spent a long time trying to pull the charging handle back, but nothing happened. It's still stuck. I even separated the upper from the lower to see if that would help, but it didn't. The bolt seems to be jammed.

I read through the manual, but all the troubleshooting options require me to pull back the charging handle, which I can't do!

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid, simple question. I've never used an AR-15 before, and being an AF officer, all they qualify us on is the mighty Beretta M9.

Thanks in advance,

Todd
A rookie WAY out of his league...for now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Be care full... it is a live round; Hold the charging handle back with as much pressure as you can and bang the buttstock on a hard surface a couple of times while pointing the rifle UP (do not shoot yourself).  if that don't work; with the upper separated and (fairly large -1/4 to 3/8) screwdriver place it between the bolt carrier and the receiver and twist it (don't scar the surfaces), if that don't work with the upper in a vice, tap the BCG rearward using a piece of wood and striking it with a hammer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response...The main problem is there is literally no give with the charging handle. It's all the way forward and I'm able to get it past the securing latch, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine did the same darn thing today. It won't budge. Have you had any luck?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine did the same darn thing today. It won't budge. Have you had any luck?

I wound up taking it to the local gun store, and it turns out I have a bad gas ring. It bent pretty bad...The gunsmith said it would have had to come from the factory like that since this was my first time firing the gun. I need to contact the guy I bought it from and the factory to see what my options are. I should have to buy replacement parts for a brand new rifle!
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've put about 200 rounds through mine. It happened while I was sighting it in today. It gave me problems the first time out. It will not shoot 55gr   Hornady Red Tips.........through any of my 8 magazines, but it will shoot 55gr PMCs all day long. I'm taking mine to the gunsmith Monday. It's got a live shell in it. I hope we haven't gotten lemons.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Check carefully all the casings of the spent rounds.  Make sure they all have their primer cups still in tact.  Mysterious jams like you describe can often be traced to lose spent primer cups separating from the casing and rattling around until the worst moment, getting stuck in the BCG slide channels, FCG, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've put about 200 rounds through mine. It happened while I was sighting it in today. It gave me problems the first time out. It will not shoot 55gr   Hornady Red Tips.........through any of my 8 magazines, but it will shoot 55gr PMCs all day long. I'm taking mine to the gunsmith Monday. It's got a live shell in it. I hope we haven't gotten lemons.

From what I hear, DPMS is a pretty upstanding company, so I'm hoping they'll hook us up and warranty whatever's wrong. Let me know what the smith says on Monday.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
ill report back Monday if they aren't to busy to get to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just got off the phone with Shane at DPMS. He's sending me new gas rings for free...it'll take about a week to get here. It was an easy phone call. The frustrating part is new gas rings only cost about 3 bucks...And I could get them here this week if I ordered them on my own...But it's the principle, right??
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got off the phone with Shane at DPMS. He's sending me new gas rings for free...it'll take about a week to get here. It was an easy phone call. The frustrating part is new gas rings only cost about 3 bucks...And I could get them here this week if I ordered them on my own...But it's the principle, right??

buy new gas rings and go shooting, when the DPMS gas rings come in, toss them in your field repair kit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

buy new gas rings and go shooting, when the DPMS gas rings come in, toss them in your field repair kit.

this
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I replaced all three gas rings with brand new ones, went out to the range, fired off 3 rounds, and the thing seized on me again. Left a message with Jason at DPMS. This problem's bigger than the gas rings.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, so your bolt is not unlocking from the barrel extension.

With the upper off the lower, (use a flathead screwdriver placed in-between the feed ramps and the bottom of the bolt carrier) and pry the bolt back. It should move ~1/8" before starting to unlock.

It may be either your barrel extension or your bolt being out of spec. The damage to the gas rings may have been caused by the fail-to-unlock after firing a round.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, man. DPMS just wants me to send the whole thing in to them. I don't mind...I just want a working rifle before I PCS.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It may be either your barrel extension or your bolt being out of spec. The damage to the gas rings may have been caused by the fail-to-unlock after firing a round.

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#16]
When you get the BCG free, check the cam pin for any unusual wear. Cuz if that thing turns just a little bit... Big jam! The only way I can see that happening is if the Cam pin is milled a little too big in the hole that the firing pin inserts - allowing a little turn in the cam as your weapon cycles. You'll probably be able to see some scoring on the firing pin as well. I would just replace the whole BCG.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Dont feel like the lone ranger! I took my brand new DPMS sweet 16 to the range yesterday and got a whole 11 rounds thru it with a jam every time. My Bushy pumped 300 rounds thru with no jams. I got home and tore the DPMS apart and found that the lug 'ring' is not indexed or clocked in the upper receiver correctly. I gotta push the bolt forward physically to get it to twist abit and then go thru lugs in order to get it to lock. It appears that the barrel is screwed on to tight by about 5 degrees. DOnt know if that is possible or not but I look at the Bushy and the lug ring in the upper is perfectly located from a clocking index. I will contact DPMS first thing tomorrow am and see what they will do about it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top