Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/6/2003 11:02:28 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these? 1 in 7 twist chrome lined? Was wondering how the short barrel handled heavier bullets (75 or 77 gr).

Also anyone tried the Miculek comp that's available on these?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:53:33 AM EDT
I dont own one but I just found a great source for them here [url]www.cmmginc.com[/url]. Most excellent prices.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:58:02 AM EDT
I have one but it is a chrome lined 1x9.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:13:42 PM EDT
I just ordered one from CMMG so I'll post a range report and some pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:30:41 PM EDT
I have one of the CMMG, 14.5" barrels.It's very sweet. NOTE: While these barrels are made by DPMS, they are a custom contracted order to CMMG specifications; 4150 steel, chrome lined, 1/7,5.56 chamber. You can only get these from CMMG, they are not available from DPMS. Also these barrels are very picky about ammo, they only like commercial American ammo, no SA surplus.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:49:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 7:56:50 AM EDT by Yojimbo]
Originally Posted By notack: Also these barrels are very picky about ammo, they only like commercial American ammo, no SA surplus.
View Quote
WTF? I hope not, if that's the case it sounds like it does not have a real 5.56 chamber! When I ordered mine yesterday John mentioned torture testing these uppers by running wolf through it and that it was working just fine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:36:07 AM EDT
I have two of these uppers, one pre-ban and one post-ban. My post-ban came with a Cav Comp so I can't comment on the Miculek comp. They are excellent shooters and extremely high quality. Jeff and John at [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url] are great guys to deal with and I highly recommend them and DPMS to anyone that will listen [;)] Here's a picture of my post-ban DPMS M4 (on top) and my pre-ban SGW with a DPMS M4 upper, Kurt’s A3 FS and forged front site. [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p16a5776e289396d29ccca0de2d7958d2/fc073d5a.jpg[/img] I didn’t have good luck with Wolf ammo. I tried Wolf in the post-ban and it FTF like crazy. However, I shot about 100 rounds of PMC before the Wolf and I started experiencing problems about 70 rounds into the PMC so I haven't ruled Wolf out entirely. I've shot several hundred rounds of Q3131A since without a single problem. I'm going to try Wolf one more time. If I get out this weekend I'll update this post.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:24:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By notack: I have one of the CMMG, 14.5" barrels.It's very sweet. NOTE: While these barrels are made by DPMS, they are a custom contracted order to CMMG specifications; 4150 steel, chrome lined, 1/7,5.56 chamber. You can only get these from CMMG, they are not available from DPMS. Also these barrels are very picky about ammo, they only like commercial American ammo, no SA surplus.
View Quote
What weight is the SA ammo? If I remember right 62 grain works better in 1x7 and 55 grain will be all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:49:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By notack: Also these barrels are very picky about ammo, they only like commercial American ammo, no SA surplus.
View Quote
Speak for yourself. I have the same upper, mine will eat anything.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:13:02 AM EDT
From the DPMS forum on the Industry board;[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=30&t=139931]"Not Reccommended Ammo?"[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:30:37 AM EDT
I can vouch for that thread where is says no PMC ammo. I had about 100 rounds here and decided to use it up. It was okay for the first 3 magazines but then the FTFs started. Unfortunately the only other ammo I took with me was Wolf [:(]. What a nightmare trip to the range that turned out to be. Since I've run several hundred rounds of Q3131A down it without a single problem.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 9:43:01 AM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
Originally Posted By M4arc: Since I've run several hundred rounds of Q3131A down it without a single problem.
View Quote
Well, the list says that the Q3131A ammo doesn't work well either. I don't understand why, its made to US milspecs so why would they say the Israeli ammo wouldn't work if its copied from US mil specs?? I'm sorry but I think DPMS has been ill informed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:47:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Originally Posted By M4arc: Since I've run several hundred rounds of Q3131A down it without a single problem.
View Quote
Well, the list says that the Q3131A ammo doesn't work well either. I don't understand why, its made to US milspecs so why would they say the Israeli ammo wouldn't work if its copied from US mil specs?? I'm sorry but I think DPMS has been ill informed.
View Quote
I'm typing a post to them right now...stand by.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:16:51 AM EDT
I've run alot of SA through both my Bushmaster barrels, but I quit trying to use it with my DPMS, it is a PITA.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:01:57 PM EDT
how about their 11.5 inch barrels? are they chrome lined?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:33:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4arc: I didn’t have good luck with Wolf ammo.
View Quote
IMHO, you shouldn’t use Wolf Ammo. The lacquer finish on them will gum up the chamber area. As the barrel/chamber heats up from repeated firing, the lacquer will also start to heat up and stick to the inside of the chamber. Then as the lacquer builds up, the chamber size gets smaller and it is really hard to get clean. Wolf Ammo is fine in AKs or other Soviet Block weapons, their chambers aren’t as tight as the AR-15 and actually designed for the lacquer coated steal cased ammo. Just adding my 2¢ worth.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:44:49 AM EDT
The DPMS moderator stated that the bullets were "too long" and contacted the rifling upon chambering creating unsafe chamber pressures. Now if that's the case with 55 grain ammo when what can I expcet with heavier (ie longer) bullet's in a DPMS barrel? I'd love to pick up one of CCMG's uppers but it would have to be compatible with heavier bullets!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2003 6:11:53 AM EDT by Yojimbo]
Originally Posted By DarkNite: The DPMS moderator stated that the bullets were "too long" and contacted the rifling upon chambering creating unsafe chamber pressures. Now if that's the case with 55 grain ammo when what can I expcet with heavier (ie longer) bullet's in a DPMS barrel? I'd love to pick up one of CCMG's uppers but it would have to be compatible with heavier bullets!
View Quote
This is starting piss me off! It's really sounds like DPMS does not use a "TRUE" 5.56 chamber. How else can you explain why these rounds will work in Bushmaster and Colt 5.56 chambers? This excerpt was taken from a link provided by the AR15 Ammo FAQ. [b]The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber. [/b] The problem as described by DPMS sounds like the leade in their chambers are to short to reliably fire some 5.56 ammo. I really hope this is not the case, if it is I will not be happy!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:11:26 AM EDT
I bought a 1/7 DPMS M4 barrel from CMMG. I had a phantom pinned and welded. Here is a 50 yard fairly rapid fire 30 round group. It was shot off an ammo can with 55 grn PMP ammo. [img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/2694ARgroup.jpg[/img] IDHunt
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:52:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:52:38 PM EDT
My DPMS M4 1x9 chrome barrel has never had a hicup. The only ammo I use is Federal XM193.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:10:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:17:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:36:56 AM EDT
I have the CMMG/DPMS M4 barrel to which you refer. I have pumped about 100 rounds of SA through it without a single hitch thus far. Most manufacturers, in this suit-happy society of ours, will go overboard with disclaimers. I find it hard to blame them, but you have to read between the lines. Ever see the warning sticker on hammer? I have a fiberglass cap on my pickup. The sticker on that reads: "Do not reach into truck bed when cap is in raised position." Now how in the hell are you ever going to use the bed if you can't reach into it? Perhaps the DPMS warning is something akin to this. The CMMG/DPMS barrel is mil-spec (as close as you can possibly get), and should shoot mil-spec ammo. Mine does. That having been said, I sighted mine in with Black Hills 77 grain. But the SA is just too cheap (and reliable!) to pass up for extended range time.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:38:30 AM EDT
Yes, thank you Jeff. I'm going to take the post-ban DPMS M4 that I purchased from you back to the range and give the Wolf ammo another try. I know I won't be using PMC again because that stuff scares the hell out of me with the fist size fireballs that it throws out the barrel and ejection port! The first trip to the range with it was miserable but I've eliminated the gun and magazines so now I have to figure out how much impact the Wolf ammo had on all my FTF problems.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:07:57 AM EDT
I haven`t used any Wolf but my 14.5 from CMMG has never had a ftf-fte with anything I`ve fed it, including a SA 300rd battlepack.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:32:17 PM EDT
Thanks to CMMG for their imput on this. What does it take to get a response from DPMS? I've sent them IM on this site, posted in their industry forum, and sent them email and can't get a specific reply. I notice they still haven't responded to the question about heavier/longer rounds from a milspec chamber that has "tighter tolerences" ??? However that works???
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:20:54 PM EDT
Mine works 100% with Black Hills 55gr Blue Box. Accuracy wasn't bad either. Sadly, I have to sell it, as my SIR wont fit right on it. Wes says its common and a switch to Bushy will fix it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2003 7:33:38 AM EDT by Yojimbo]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: Mine works 100% with Black Hills 55gr Blue Box. Accuracy wasn't bad either. Sadly, I have to sell it, as my SIR wont fit right on it. Wes says its common and a switch to Bushy will fix it.
View Quote
Did you get your upper from CMMG? If so you should call them an see if they can do anything for you to correct this issue. I know CMMG sells DPMS/M4a3 uppers with SIR's installed and when I ordered they told me my SIR 50 will fit with no problem. Jeff and John seemed like good guys and I'm sure they would take care of you. If you got it from directly from DPMS will they take ownership of this problem and fix it for you? If they won't that's a load of B.S.! Is this another one of their not so mil-spec mil-spec parts? I would also like to thank CMMG for replying to this thread. It helped clear up some of th issues. There seems to be quite a difference between the regular DPMS parts and the ones they make for CMMG. [:\] My CMMG upper should be here today or tomorrow and I can't wait! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:40:34 AM EDT
Here's some test results for one of CMMG's DPMS 1/7, M4, uppers, I like mine and it shoots...... [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=162330&w=searchPop[/url] Although I didn't shoot any of that wolf crap in it, I save that junk for my AK. Mike
Top Top