Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 4:05:32 PM EDT
Lookin for information regarding DPMS lowers and what the difference between cast and forged.
1)When did they start forging? I'm assumming the cast was the first offered.

2)What was the S/N range for the cast

3)Are there any real detraments to a cast unit?

4) What does it mean in an ad when the seller says the block has been removed?

Thanks for your help guys!

Charles
Bushman15
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1)When did they start forging? I'm assumming the cast was the first offered.
View Quote

The forged started sometime around 99/00.

2)What was the S/N range for the cast
View Quote
Forged lowers have an 'F' prefix on the serial, making them a seperate series and there is no cutoff date.  The still make both types.

3)Are there any real detraments to a cast unit?
View Quote
If you hit the receiver really hard with a hammer beyond the metals ability to bend, the metal of the forged part will stretch resulting in a large dent while the metal of a cast part will crack.  A hit that hard to either lower will likely take it out of service.  The forged lowers are cosmetically superior IMO.  Especially the lettering and logos.

4) What does it mean in an ad when the seller says the block has been removed?
View Quote
Most (all?) makers of AR lowers reduce production costs by only milling enough space in the inside rear of the lower to let the safety and the rear lug from the upper fit into the lower meaning that there isn't enough room to insert a registered drop in auto sear or a registered lightning link.  "removing", actually milling out the area in the rear, is done so you can use one of these very expensive devices if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Hoplo...now I no (know)

That's what I love about this board, you got a question...somebody has the answer. I really appreciate the details, great reply.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, the forged DPMS lowers come with the block "removed", 'cause it wasn't there in the first place[:D].  As far as I know, since Colt started putting the rib into their lowers, DPMS and Bushmaster are the only two manufacturers still using the original dimensions on the inside of the lowers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top