Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/17/2012 6:42:26 PM EST
My local gun shop has a DPMS LR-308 for $900. Ive been looking to get a 308 ar for a while so im thinking i will take this one but i was wondering what is up with the extra tall upper receiver? I cant see why its like that. And also, is this a quality stick that will preform well? Im looking to do target shooting and some hunting (coyote and whatever else i dont want to take my bolt action out for).

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:46:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2012 6:51:01 PM EST by JD42]
The high tops are for mounting scopes. You can use high rings and have better check weld. Great for the money. I would upgrade the triger. Add some P-Mags and you should be good to go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My DPMS low profile upper. With some upgrades.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:34:51 PM EST
$900 is a very good price for the LR 308. I have a LR 308 Oracle and it shoots sub MOA with factory 168gr bullets. I have 320 rounds thru mine with NO failures of any type. Definitely get some 20 round Pmags. The one problem that keeps coming up is feeding problems and they tend to go away when the user switches to Pmags. I've used them since day one and no feeding problems!! You will want to replace the trigger with a better one, for the sake of accuracy. I put a Timney 4lb trigger in mine and it's great. Definitely get the LR 308, some ammo and have fun with it!!!!

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:43:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By JD42:
The high tops are for mounting scopes. You can use high rings and have better check weld. Great for the money. I would upgrade the triger. Add some P-Mags and you should be good to go.

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/dpmsr1.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5701/dpmsr1.jpg</a>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My DPMS low profile upper. With some upgrades.

So with the hightop receiver i do or dont need to use high rings for the scope??

Okay, will most likely being putting moneys down on monday. Im glad to hear its a good price. haha im gonna try to get a free backround check out of the guy though

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:29:10 PM EST
It really depends on the scope your using, with mine the higher receiver allows me to use regular rings to mount my scope, if it was a regular height, I would need a riser.

$900 is a good price.

My lr208 has been very reliable. The only thing I changed was the stock as I wanted an adjustable one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:50:20 PM EST
I thought all of the receivers on the newer DPMS and Bushmaster .308s had the lower height? No?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:00:08 AM EST
Personally I would pass on the extra tall upper receiver. It's an odd ball and using a buis is a pita. The prices seems about normal from what I see these selling for on Gunbroker. A friend of mine picked one these up for $750, it shots great but is kind of fugly. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:24:49 AM EST
If you really want it buy it and start shooting it and enjoy it.
You can always change the upper receiver and handguard
later in the future....as for me I did not want to settle and I
started ordering parts and piece mine together...
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:47:17 AM EST
$900 is a really good price for the LR308. You could buy the rifle as is and shoot some rounds through it.

As time goes on, see what you like and don't like about the rifle. Then start changing out parts to customize it to your liking/usage. Gotta love BRD.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:18:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By StagAR15:
$900 is a really good price for the LR308. You could buy the rifle as is and shoot some rounds through it.

As time goes on, see what you like and don't like about the rifle. Then start changing out parts to customize it to your liking/usage. Gotta love BRD.

That's what I was thinking. Cause a 308 upper from anyone would fit it right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:00:34 PM EST
Because this:

is capable of this:

3shot group with a 4th dialed to the bull
Hornady 150gr over Varget
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:51:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mr_Mayo:

Upper? No. The AR15 platform interchanges, the 308 platforms do not interchange as readily.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:01:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By Lmccrock:

Upper? No. The AR15 platform interchanges, the 308 platforms do not interchange as readily.

Isn't the dpms off of the sr25 platform along with almost every other company except armalite and another a few others?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:09:55 AM EST
My local gun shop has a DPMS LR-308 for $900. Ive been looking to get a 308 ar for a while so im thinking i will take this one but i was wondering what is up with the extra tall upper receiver? I cant see why its like that. And also, is this a quality stick that will preform well? Im looking to do target shooting and some hunting (coyote and whatever else i dont want to take my bolt action out for).

Thanks

I have the LR308 24" with the older low profile upper. I mounted a 50mm objective scope on it and had to search for extra high rings to just barely get clearance for it at the hand guard. The taller receiver is probably a good thing for a gun most will put optics on.

I've run close to 1000 rounds through mine by now and none of them would have missed dropping a coyote with the exception of scope sight in shots. At 100 yards off sand bags it will shoot .5 inch to .75 inch groups with my handloads. Most of the DPMS guns seem to like the 168 grain or 175 grain bullets better than 150 and mine is in that camp. The 150 grain stuff was hard to get under an inch and a half for me but your mileage may vary. I have a freind that has a nearly identical DPMS and his will group 150's. Like others I'll tell you get the pmags I have three of each type and the pmags have never failed to feed while one of the DPMS mags took a few tweeks to the feed lips to run well. I have a JP adjutable trigger in mine and reccommend it. The factory trigger is a mil spec affair and doesn't do the rifle justice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:46:00 AM EST
Went to local gun show this weekend. Looked at a few 308 rifle prices. These are new guns. DPMS Oracle were going for $968.00. The AP4 was $1100. Bushmasters were going for over $1200. Just some prices to compare with what the OP is looking at.

And yes there were other higher end 308s but I was not looking at these as I was not in the market for a 308.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:52:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By StagAR15:

+1...!!!
Top Top