Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 7:43:12 AM EDT
Are DPMS LPK good quality? I just received my complete COLT 24" heavy barrel upper and I have a Timney 3# Competition trigger and RRA Lower, will putting the DPMS LPK in it be akin to buying a Farrari and putting hubcaps on it???
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:57:57 AM EDT
There are people out there that say they wouldn't touch a DPMS LPK with a 10 foot pole (for whatever reason, and I'm willing to be it's not because they've had a problem with one), on the other hand there are thousands and thousands DMPS LPKs out there that work just fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:18:56 AM EDT
I have had ZERO problems with DPMS parts of any kind.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:56:31 AM EDT
I've used dpms lpk never had an issue. IMO it's the masses of sheeple that heard that someone heard there was a problem with them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:24:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 9:25:30 AM EDT by Hootbro]
People that  run and attend some carbine course that dog shit hammer their rifles over the course of a short period, will tell you that DPMS parts tend to fail more  frequently "on average" compared to other brands. With Olympic Arms being the exception of having a worse failure rate.

Now many of the armchair commandos that run their rifles for maybe 100 rounds once a year , will have the false perception that they are “good to go” and everybody is DPMS haters.

Now I will not be a hypocrite and say I do not use DPMS parts, I do. I just understand the probable law of averages and hedge my bets with know higher quality parts in the rifles I would have to rely on in an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:28:22 AM EDT
I had a major issue with the safety selector. The detent notches are a completely different format than your 'standard' selector switch. This left a lot of play in my selector switch. I replaced it with a Hi-Standard and have had no further problems.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:49:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 9:50:21 AM EDT by wildearp]
I have at least 10 of them with 3 in service.  They are fine.  No selector switch issues at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:04:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hootbro:
People that  run and attend some carbine course that dog shit hammer their rifles over the course of a short period, will tell you that DPMS parts tend to fail more  frequently "on average" compared to other brands. With Olympic Arms being the exception of having a worse failure rate.

Now many of the armchair commandos that run their rifles for maybe 100 rounds once a year , will have the false perception that they are “good to go” and everybody is DPMS haters.

Now I will not be a hypocrite and say I do not use DPMS parts, I do. I just understand the probable law of averages and hedge my bets with know higher quality parts in the rifles I would have to rely on in an emergency.

And out of the people that run them that way how many are people that go to the course unprepared? How many are running their guns bone dry?
I've taken my rifles out many times and dumped more than 500+rnd down range in a afternoon of plinking. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Originally Posted By nismart1:
I had a major issue with the safety selector. The detent notches are a completely different format than your 'standard' selector switch. This left a lot of play in my selector switch. I replaced it with a Hi-Standard and have had no further problems.

And isn't there a thread right now about someone having an issue with RRA selectors?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:11:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Javelinadave:

+1

I have a DPMS lower with a DPMS LPK and have zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:02:20 PM EDT
never had a problem with the 4 I've owned
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:05:50 PM EDT
I do not like them, speaking from personal experience.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:00:16 PM EDT
Never had a problem with many of them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:16:04 PM EDT
What don't you like...please be specific.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:03:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SISUltra:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:59:06 PM EDT
I've bought a few and will never do so again.  Each one had issues that never should have made it past a simple QC inspection.  A bolt release that was badly cast and had so many holes in it I got to choose which one I wanted to put the roll pin through.  Multiple mag catches that were so covered in burrs they wouldn't even fit into the receiver.  Roll pins that were way too big and wouldn't install, even though they were well oiled.  Sear engagement surfaces on the trigger and hammer both that looked like they'd been polished with gravel.  Sorry, but I'll stick with better brands than DPMS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:53:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Boofoo:

And out of the people that run them that way how many are people that go to the course unprepared? How many are running their guns bone dry?
I've taken my rifles out many times and dumped more than 500+rnd down range in a afternoon of plinking. Maybe I've just been lucky?

It is not about "luck" but about averages. Some people can shoot one round and something breaks and some can shoot 20K rounds before something breaks. DPMS mean time between failure value is lower than other makers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:53:16 PM EDT
good to go. got them in all my home built ARs (five total)
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:15:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sburggsx:
Originally Posted By SISUltra:

+1

+1

+1 here as well....
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:56:36 PM EDT
I have a dpms lpk installed on my built rifle, also a RRA on a complete rifle.... The only difference is the "creeping" on the trigger. Although it is annoying to have a creeping trigger, if you use it enough you will barely notice it..... Semper...
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:48:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
I've bought a few and will never do so again.  Each one had issues that never should have made it past a simple QC inspection.  A bolt release that was badly cast and had so many holes in it I got to choose which one I wanted to put the roll pin through.  Multiple mag catches that were so covered in burrs they wouldn't even fit into the receiver.  Roll pins that were way too big and wouldn't install, even though they were well oiled.  Sear engagement surfaces on the trigger and hammer both that looked like they'd been polished with gravel.  Sorry, but I'll stick with better brands than DPMS.

While my triggers have been OK, with marginal creep, I dislike having to beat my pivot and takedown pins out with a screwdriver. And no, it is not the lower, they slide just fine without the spring and detents installed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:51:43 AM EDT
OK then:
Who are the LPK maufacturers or suppliers?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:14:57 AM EDT
I have several DPMS lower kits installed with no problems but I do like the RRA kits better.  Fit is a bit nicer while installing parts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:11:13 AM EDT
I've used three DPMS lpk's. The first two were fine, the third had a bent bolt catch in it and I didn't catch it until after it was installed.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:19:49 AM EDT
Mine are of great quality minus the trigger guard roll pin.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:29:03 AM EDT
I have built 4 Sabre lowers with DPMS LPKs and had zero problems.
My son has an AR with a DPMS lower that has been GTG for almost 2,000 rounds.

Would I rather an LMT Colt or RRA? Sure, but they are hard to come by. Hell, the DPMS is had to come by.
I also notice Bravo Company sells DPMS LPKs and think BCM makes some of the best uppers you can buy.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:35:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:

Would I rather an LMT Colt or RRA? Sure, but they are hard to come by. Hell, the DPMS is had to come by.
I also notice Bravo Company sells DPMS LPKs and think BCM makes some of the best uppers you can buy.

Bill

I would love to see Paul offer BCM LPKs made to the TDP like the rest of his products.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:41:57 AM EDT
Ive installed a number of them.  My only complaint is that the roll pins seemed a little on the big side compared to other kits I have used in the past.  I had kind of a rough time getting them started, but once I did they went in just fine.  The triggers are pretty good.  I guess it depends on the batch that you get.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:02:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:

Bill

I would love to see Paul offer BCM LPKs made to the TDP like the rest of his products.

+100

Bill
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:04:46 AM EDT
My DPMS LPK has a lot of creep in the trigger and a lot of slop in the safety selector.  I won't be buying another.
Top Top