Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 3:01:47 AM EDT
I have the chance to purchase my first AR lower receiver.....

a DPMS Stainless Lower or a Bushmaster Lower.

The Stainless is about $45 more than the forged unit.

What to do and is it worth the difference?

-DM
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the Bushy. I would not want the extra weight of the stainless, and see no benefit in it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have the chance to purchase my first AR lower receiver.....

a DPMS Stainless Lower or a Bushmaster Lower.

The Stainless is about $45 more than the forged unit.

What to do and is it worth the difference?

-DM

I've got a DPMS stainless lower.
I don't know why but with the stainless
lower DPMS does not put the panther logo on it.

It does have DMPS & 223/5.56  but no panther.
I got mine back in 2003 or 2004.

Never had any problem mine is a 24 in.
Super Bull Barrel. I was told the stainless
is stronger/harder than forged.
I don't know this for a fact,
just what I was told by DPMS

UPDATE: After writing the above I did
a little research & found out the stainless
is stronger than the aluminum.

A lower receiver I realize does not require
being overly strong since it's function
does not do much other than supply a
nice location for a trigger & mag well etc..

So now at least we know you can base
your decision on money or just got to
have the strongest lower receiver money can buy
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Stainless steel lower receivers are sought for Match rifle building because they place extra weight to the rear of the barrel which creates a more stable shooting platform, especially when large diameter match barrels are incorporated into the build.
The area around the pivot pin through hole is also reenforced and will not break as easily as an aluminum lower receiver should a heavy barrelled upper receiver be dropped forcefully forward.

For a Match type rifle a stainless receiver is worth the extra money.
For a pleasure or tactical rifle, the extra money spent will serve no useful purpose.

Stainless steel lowers are still very cool if you don't mind the extra weight.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
definitely not worth it, no way

unless its going to be a long barreled varmit/match gun, and even then probably not
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for all the information.

I wanted to go with a tactical unit, I have a Remington 700 "Sniper" build up for long distance/match shooting.

Keep the great comments and ideas coming.

Thanks again,

-DM
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to the gun shop tonight to pick up the Bushy and it was sold ....this afternoon.

All other AR's are sold and the one that is there is on hold.

The blackened stainless steel DPMS was still there and the fine gentleman gave me a better deal on it than the original price of the Bushy. I am "impressed" with the weight of this thing.

I left with a big smile

Thank you all for the responses.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW  DPMS no longer produces stainless receivers. It could become a collectible.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FWIW  DPMS no longer produces stainless receivers. It could become a collectible.

I asked the history of the receiver because it had slight marks on the hammer as if it was dry fired. Dry firing actually makes my skin crawl especially on an unassembled rifle.

So...he said the receiver was off of a rifle that a customer wanted the upper on and did not need the lower. He removed and sold the upper years ago and kept the lower in a lonely display cabinet off in the back corner of the store.

Nobody ever said a peep about this receiver.....until all this hype about another ban started.

He cleaned the dust off and viola a "brand new" stainless steel receiver for sale.

I hope it is within spec so I don't have any fitting problems when I purchase the upper.

Thank you,

-DM
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have paid just short of $300 for a standard blue complete DPMS lower here recently, they offered me a RR instead when they came in for $10 more and I took that instead.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not worth the extra money

Yeah well when you call six gun shops in a forty mile radius of your house and NOBODY has lowers left in stock......and not a single complete rifle is under $1,350 (cash only).

What would you do?

The local guys want a 25% transfer fee on new guns/receivers so the savings of buying online or out of state is not reality.

Thank you for your response anyhow,

Be safe,

-DM
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#12]
25% wow that is steep, years ago I had a owner quote me $50 or 10% of the purchase price whichever was greater and I thought that was madness.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not worth the extra money

And extra weight...

There must be another ffl to transfer to you somewhere...  I wouldn't take that 25% ass rape.

- AG
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#14]
if your not using as match rifle don't get it.  Its heavier, more prone to oxidation(aluminum oxidation is hard and protective while rust is brittle and ships away deteriorating the object), more expensive... its not "mil-spec"  I dont see advantages unless you want to be able to say "I have a SS lower"
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
25% wow that is steep, years ago I had a owner quote me $50 or 10% of the purchase price whichever was greater and I thought that was madness.

Yeah I know, I have been quoted the $50 flat on handguns but that plus shipping eats any savings.

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
If you already have a long range rifle, I'd suggest going with the lighter lower for the AR.  Since you got such a sweet deal on it though, Congrats!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if your not using as match rifle don't get it.  Its heavier, more prone to oxidation(aluminum oxidation is hard and protective while rust is brittle and ships away deteriorating the object), more expensive... its not "mil-spec"  I dont see advantages unless you want to be able to say "I have a SS lower"

I already purchased the receiver. I paid less than the original asking price of the aluminum one.

I don't really know the significance to having a stainless lower....there is not much on the internet about the DPMS black stainless lowers...I looked for hours. Little tid bits here and there but nothing substanctial. It is heavy and beautiful...like me.

-DM
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Geez, you already said that you went ahead and bought the SS receiver and folks are still slapping at the fly.

You will like that receiver and they are in demand for Match guns, so you won't have any problem selling it or trading it for another lower down the road.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Stainless M16 receivers go for about 50% more.  That's $15K instead of $10K.

When the ban hammer hits, and AR15 lowers become irreplaceable parts instead of $80 disposable units, stainless receivers will rule the world.  The hammer/trigger pins won't egg out, the front lugs for the take down pins won't break off.  They will survive KB's better too.  If you have to swap the bolt catch or trigger guard, you won't break off an ear.  If the receiver is damaged, it's probably easier to weld up as well.

Geeze I hope I'm wrong, but gun control is part of the new New Deal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When the ban hammer hits, and AR15 lowers become irreplaceable parts instead of $80 disposable units, stainless receivers will rule the world.  The hammer/trigger pins won't egg out, the front lugs for the take down pins won't break off.  They will survive KB's better too.  If you have to swap the bolt catch or trigger guard, you won't break off an ear.  If the receiver is damaged, it's probably easier to weld up as well.

Finally, someone in the know! Great post!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finally, someone in the know! Great post!

VLODPG: Props for giving props.

DWKENNEDY: Thank you so much for the great response. If you have any other info on this receiver please don't hesitate to post it or message me.

Thank you all once again.

-DM

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a DPMS Stainless lower.

Down side to it is that it's cast.   Castings can be plenty strong but you can get some dimensional variance, I notice it in the magazine well of my stainless lower, I don't think the mag well was machined/broached but rather formed in the casting process.    Some magazines can be tight in the lower as opposed to something like a STAG or Bushmaster(I own both) which has very uniform dimensions from lower to lower.

A stainless steel forged lower or billet lower would be something I'd love to get my hands on.   Yes, I want the weight, yes it helps balance out my bull barreled varmint upper.   No, I don't mind having an AR that weighs close to 13-14 pounds unloaded, it balances great and it has zero recoil(especially with JP Recoil Eliminator brake).
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS Stainless lower.

Down side to it is that it's cast.   Castings can be plenty strong but you can get some dimensional variance, I notice it in the magazine well of my stainless lower, I don't think the mag well was machined/broached but rather formed in the casting process.    Some magazines can be tight in the lower as opposed to something like a STAG or Bushmaster(I own both) which has very uniform dimensions from lower to lower.

A stainless steel forged lower or billet lower would be something I'd love to get my hands on.   Yes, I want the weight, yes it helps balance out my bull barreled varmint upper.   No, I don't mind having an AR that weighs close to 13-14 pounds unloaded, it balances great and it has zero recoil(especially with JP Recoil Eliminator brake).

I am not too worried about the weight my Remington 700 build up is a heavy a$$ rifle to lug and shoot steady without a bench/bipod.

Thanks,

-DM
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You were the one who asked it if was worth the extra money. That's not the same thing as "should I buy this if it's the only lower I can get my hands on" I would have given a different answer if that was the question.

I originally had my heart set on the Bushmaster lower. Regardless, I felt the Bushy and DPMS were neck and neck in reliability. I don't have receiver envy or anything because there are pluses to having a stainless receiver over aluminum.

I was thinking about shopping around if the market steadies out in the next couple months so I can get my hands on a Bushy lower, hopefully for a bit cheaper than during this rush, lol.

Be safe,

-DM
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top