Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/27/2005 3:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 5:24:19 PM EDT by hard]
I am considering getting the 16" DPMS Carbine.

I am wondering though if it is what I need. I want it to fill both roles so to speak, an all around gun. One of my concerns is range and accuracy out of it, close in it will definitely work.

How far could I get out with it in that configuration and maintain the power and the accuracy?

I would like to be able to use it for close in and pretty far and still maintain the compactness of the AR system. Could it be a good choice for a SHTF carbine or would it not fill this void?

I am trying to figure out at what range it would lose its effectivness. How far out could I engage Zombies etc. with it?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:28:00 AM EDT
With the 16" config you will lose quite abit of velocity for long distance, I believe American Rifleman did a test on this setup and found the velocity to be around 2500FPS (just a tad faster than a 7.62 x 39) you most likely will not be able to go with tight groups past 200-250 mtrs but this is just my opinion but you will not be disappointed with the quality and performance from DPMS
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:14:09 AM EDT
All I want is this AR with an 18" barrel, is that to much to ask?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:19:54 PM EDT
they have an 18" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:32:39 PM EDT
The 24" SS bull gets these results....enough said !!

I could not be more satisfied with this rifle.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:37:55 PM EDT
I contacted DPMS about an 18" with government profile barrel, collasible stock, A3 upper with foward assist, mid-length gas system, bayonet lug, BUIS rear, flip front, with flash hider along with a chrome lined bore, and 7.62NATO chamber. Somewhat looking like a Rock River mid length carbine setup.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:48:11 PM EDT
Creeper

I contacted DPMS about an 18" with government profile barrel, collasible stock, A3 upper with foward assist, mid-length gas system, bayonet lug, BUIS rear, flip front, with flash hider along with a chrome lined bore, and 7.62NATO chamber. Somewhat looking like a Rock River mid length carbine setup.

What was their reply? That is exactly what I want this...

Just with an 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:08:07 PM EDT
I've had my ap4 .308 for about 4 days now. It is very accurate but jams every 4-5 shots. I've tried all different types of ammo. It all jams as well as occasionally won't close the bolt all the way.

DPMS were easy to deal with though. One phone call and they paid for shipping the rifle back to fix whatever is wrong. So far they get an A+ for customer service.

I'll let you know how this ends up.

Ron
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:49:18 PM EDT
They said something about going to a committee with it. Honestly I don't see them ever making any changes anytime soon. So oh well I'll keep my FAL's since they are chrome lined as per mil-spec.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:10:15 PM EDT
Hard,

Good luck. I had my local gun shop owner call DPMS today for a similar set-up (A3 flat-top, 4-rail fore end, single rail gas block, SOPMOD stock, trigger upgrade - the 18" barrel does sound nice) and they said to expect a delivery time of 14 weeks! Shane - say it isn't so. Nonetheless, the order will go in next week. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Wolverine93
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:48:51 PM EDT
In all honesty 16" just isn't long enough for .308 since it kills the velocity to barely over what a 7.62x39 round will do which in turn doesn't leave much for long distance, the whole reason for going for .308 to begin with. Second because they don't chrome line the barrels and use CM then you will get different wear patterns in the bore itself as CM is never uniform in blend, some areas will wear out faster in the bore. Course you could go stainless which may be the best option if you have no other options, it wears uniformly but also being stainless is softer overall so throat errosion would develop quickly in the big caliber.

My suggestion originally to DPMS is an 18" Government Contour, Chrome Lined, Mid-Length Gas system, bayonet lug, foward assist, six position, A3 upper with optional flash hider. My reasoning, chrome wears uniformly and lasts longer than stainless or CM. The 18" would be min for almost 90% powder burn for needed velocity and retained energy to engage targets to 800 meters. The mid-length gas system for longer lock time for added reliability, yet still be within military field standard to mount a bayonet which is for cool factor of course. Government profile under handguards to reduce weight since this should be a field deployable system leaving the 24" stainless bull set-up for the bench rest guys.

Essentially an 18" chrome lined government profile A3 mid-length .308 battle rifle that is lighter than almost any other .308 battle rifle and just as durable as any AR system but nothing less. So given that I'll waite till DPMS does it right or I'll just keep my FAL's/M14's which are true mil-spec battle rifles with chrome lined bores and bayonet mounts etc.

Creeper
Top Top