Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2009 4:53:56 PM EDT
I just got a DPMS 204 ruger barrel.  I attached the barrel to the upper receiver and then went to attach the delta ring that came on my circular FF forend and it slid on fine up until the area where the gas block goes on.  It stopped.  unable to slide more as the barrel increases in width.  You can't put it on the receiver end as you can't put the barrel in it's slot.  Can anyone let me know what they did to make this work?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:01:00 AM EDT
A ff (full floating) handguard should not be used with a delta ring. Use the ring that came with the ff handguard. doug
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 8:37:08 AM EDT
I'm sorry, the delta ring is not on it, it's the ring that came with the FF tube.  It seems to indent in for a smaller barrel.  I wish I knew who made the FF tube as I could call them.  It came of off an Oly arms from about 2001 or so.  I might try them.

Thanks.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 10:12:38 AM EDT
I had the same problem when I built my rifle with the .204 Ruger DPMS barrel and an Armalite fiberglass FF tube.  The DPMS barrel is, as I recall, a full 1" diameter behind the gas block area which is .936".  I had to have the ID of the Armalite barrel nut bored out slightly to fit the DPMS barrel.  Not a big deal.  You could even do it with a drum sander as long as you are careful and remove material from the ID uniformly.  Here's the finished gun.

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 11:40:10 AM EDT
Nice!  Where would I look to have someone bore it out?  Some type of machine shop or where would a guy go to find this?

Thanks.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:10:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blasternank:
Nice!  Where would I look to have someone bore it out?  Some type of machine shop or where would a guy go to find this?

Thanks.

Bob

Anyone with a lathe and a boring bar.  Any machine shop could handle this job.  This is a really simple operation.  Just have them measure the OD of your barrel back just ahead of the flange on the barrel extension and bore the ID of your selected hanguard or barrel nut to about +.005" to .010" larger.  This does not affect how the barrel is retained on the upper whatsoever.

Good luck.
Top Top