Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 7:33:39 AM EDT
For first AR? I am thinking a DPMS ultralight they go for $689. Good Bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:36:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:02:42 AM EDT by donovan007007]
not good...........GREAT!!!!

All my rilfes are DPMS, I swear by them. All I had too ever replace was a firing pin retaining pin, but that was after 2700 rounds. It was just a little twisted but I straightened it out and I keep it as a spare.

<­BR>

Also, maybe $689 is a good price, but maybe you still can save some money by building it piece-by-piece. My M4gery here only cost me $620 for all the parts, make sure you shop very smartly

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:36:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 7:37:15 AM EDT by CavalryJim]
I have a DPMS rifle and the pin holding the hammer keeps rotating out. Otherwise, it has been very reliable and shoots great.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:38 AM EDT
CalvaryJim, you need some of THESE brother.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:52:20 AM EDT
If you use those oversize pins, and you have standard size pin holes in your lower. You will have to ream the holes out to a larger size.

Does one side of the pin walk out? If it does its probably broken.. It shouldnt walk out on its own.

Do you bump fire? If you do then thatll break pins...Not always, but it can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:23:22 PM EDT
Thanks for info. Kinda seems like many choose to peice together what they prefer over just a factory built. Kinda neat about ARs. What is the difficulty like to build one? I have never done this before.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 2:37:00 PM EDT by donovan007007]
If you can hammer in some pins and tighten some bolts, you to can be a ARFCOMMER.

Thats the greatest quality about an AR15, it's modularity. You dont have to buy just one rifle/carbine/pistol that "they" have, build it like you want it to be. That's why they call it the "Frankenrifle".

Thats why not any two rifle/carbine/pistol on this site are the same, except if you buy one over the counter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 1:29:36 AM EDT by jrs93accord]
I purchased my DPMS Panther Carbine a few months ago. I preferred buying one assembled as opposed to building one. This is what I have.

DPMS Panther Carbine (RFA2-PCAR)

Accessories:
A.R.M.S.® #51 CV A1A2 S.I.R.® System
EOTech Holographic Weapon Sight -Model 512A65
Streamlight® “Scorpion” Tactical Light
Fobus Tactical Light Mount
SpecterGear® M.O.U.T. Single Point Sling (Black)
GG&G Sling Adapter
VLTOR Carbine/collapsible Modstock - Model# ACK-2S (Black)
Wilson Combat Tactical Latch
Hogue Grip
DPMS CNC Aluminum Vertical Grip (black anodized)

I am in the planning stage of buying my next AR. It will be another DPMS (AP4 Panther Carbine). These are the mods I have planned:

A.R.M.S.® #58M MOD
A.R.M.S.® #40L SP Rear flip up sight with same plane aperture system
A.R.M.S.® #50 Top Rail
SureFire M900A-WH Vertical Foregrip WeaponLight, with built-in A.R.M.S.® Throw Lever mount
LMT SOPMOD stock(Black)
YHM Single Point Sling Mount (Snap Loop)
PRI Flip Front Sight Gas Block Assembly
Trijicon TA-31 ACOG 4X32 Scope w/ TA-18 A.R.M.S.® #19 ACOG Throw Lever Mount for ACOG® scopes
Badger Tactical Charging Handle latch
Panther Flash Hider
First Samco G27 Tactical Grip

For your first AR, DPMS is a great way to go!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:12:37 PM EDT
DPMS makes a really nice rifle you may also want to consider the sweet 16. It is a great rifle and very accurate. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 8:00:43 PM EDT by Cato]
Depends. For a sporting rifle they are good to go, but for a rifle used
for police work/self defense, I would go with Rock River Arms for a
little more money because DPMS quality control varies a lot. Look at
the troubleshooting forum- DPMS guns are often mentioned there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:51:39 PM EDT
Ya I have been looking at RRA also seems they have a very good rep. I will shoot it often when I take the side arms to the range(every week or two) I will take it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 10:57:06 PM EDT by Ryno_the_wyno]

Where I used to live *upper midwest* all patrol rifles I encountered were DPMS AR's or Ruger Mini 14 GB's. The only exception was a 5 shot 870 and one Winchester Model 94. Primarily, the weapon was in A2 configuration, but there were also several carbine variations. Entry team members used Kitty Kats, with full auto capability. Unpleasant, is all I have to say about shooting the Kitty Kat. The officers/wardens raved about thier weapons, some ex service members thought their PD rifles were superior to the examples they used in the military. These people have

defended thier lives with thier weapons. Several had been used in officer involved shootings, one where I lived, and they had performed flawlessly. DPMS makes an excellent weapon. They are every bit the "fighting rifle" as Rock River or any body else. You can nit pick about your supposed views about QC or your favorite roll marks, but the AP4 Panther I currently own is one of the nicest AR's I have ever owned. IMO, its equal in quality to Bushmaster or RRA, if not superior. To me, its only second to my KAC weapons, but everyones AR is second to KAC. I have never had any problems with my DPMS and don't for see any. Keep in mind, when you hear about DPMS |

problems that DPMS sells parts and receivers, and the problem gun could have been someones parts bin project gun built with a DPMS receiver. And, DPMS cast recievers are garbage...but that is the nature of the beast. DPMS makes an excellent gun and they are certainly a "top tier" AR manufacture. I think any weapon you buy from them will likely perform with out incident. Even the cheapest Olympic would suffice as a fighting rifle. Remember, if you use your fighting rifle against people with artillery and air support, you will lose...even if you buy an LMT with an ACOG. Rambo was a movie from the past, not a movie about your future and the brand of your rifle will not change that fact. Unless you are the next "beltway sniper" the people you fantasize about shooting at and using your fighting rifle against will be using thiers against you....and they have training and heavy weapons that you dont. You and your AR will not last two minutes against the worst NG unit on

thier worst day. Your LMT wont save you when you are pinned down by a few SAWS and mortor fire. Any rifle could be a fighting rifle, but if you are not LE or .gov you will never know. Accept this fact and buy what you lwhat you can afford and what suites your requirements. SEALS are not the best because they use thier weapons say KAC, Colt or FN on the side. They would be just as deadly with an Olympic. Any DPMS rifle made by DPMS is more than enough to live as a fighting rifle, which means that its plenty tough to be a civilian rifle.

Edited; I forgot to add that after owning just about every type of commercially availible AR 15 type rifles, I will never buy one that isn't made by DPMS or KAC. Of all the manufactures I have had experience with, these are by far my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:02:11 PM EDT
Thanks for you inpurt about DPMS also. I like having all the options to choose from.
Top Top