Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 12:58:01 PM EDT
Hi, where i live the only worthwhile factory ammo with good value i can get my hands on is Fiocchi brass cased boxer primed FMJ round (€0.36) not too bad.
However i wanna have something "badder" on hand.
tracers and penetrators can't be found, (could anyone send me some?) so i was thinking of making some badass antipersonnel rounds for "SHTF"..
I reload and i have access to .224 smk from 50 to 77 grains, and various VMAX (bit on the expensive side for me though) and some relatively affordable sierra HPs in the 50 grain range which i think would be devastating on soft targets.

To the point then: [b]what is a cheap, readily available media to test loads?[b]
I've heard of wetpack; has anyone tried it? I was thinking of making a simpler version; (don't wanna have to tear up all that pater into small pieces)  just a wet telephone number list (or packed paper, book, etc) about 3"-4" thick just to see if my test loads pencil through or show any sign of tumbling or fragmentation on the opposite side.

What do you think will happen to a 50 grain sierra HP blitzking out of a 12" 1:7 twist? will it come apart when exiting the barrel?
i expect that it would create quite a massive wound cavity on impact.what speed should those be travelling at out of a 12"?
i chronoed the fiocchi 55 FMJ at 730m/s (2400f/s) out of the 12".
Thank you for any help and advice, here's a pic for you:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2j1vbk8.jpg

im waiting for the burris ar 332 to be shipped so i can swap out the bushnell, probably going to swap the grippod for something less bulky and already have a new moe pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a very nice rifle!

Telephone books or bundles of newspaper completely soaked, as in submerged for a few hours, will give you an idea of how your loads are performing. At least as far being able to recover the bullets. But think more along the lines of 20 - 24 inches thickness.

The 50 grain Blitz King  won't disintegrate out of your barrel. I'd think it will make a pretty shallow but large cavity. The velocity of course depends on the way you're loading them.

You might want to check out the Sierra 65 grain Game King. It's a SP that shows good results in gel tests and it's readily available and not expensive. Any of the Barnes TSX bullets should give you good results as well.

Whatever load and testing method you decide upon post some pics of the results here.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top