Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 5:41:40 AM EST
Have only fired 50 through my new bushy XM15-E2S. Without spending for a new trigger job, is there anything simple I can do to ease the trigger pull a tad? Or will it "loosen up" at all when I put a few hundred through it? I tried "search"-no luck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:18:22 AM EST
Everyone told me it would loosen up but it still sucked after a couple jundred rounds so I became a big believer in aftermarket triggers. They are SOOOO much better.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:24:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/29/2002 6:34:23 AM EST by Red-Leg]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=74&t=149423&w=myTopicPop[/url] Edited to add: The pics in the above link seem to have died. I have taken the liberty of hosting the original page. [url]http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:24:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/29/2002 3:26:03 PM EST by Pb-Rx]
For around $10, you can get a reduced power trigger spring from JP Enterprises (jpar15.com). It will reduce the trigger pull to 4.5 - 5 lbs. Even without polished trigger parts, it works well for me in my utility rifle. The spring is not listed at the website, but you can call and order it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:57:20 PM EST
Thanks Red and Pb! I'm assembling an AR next week. Bought a colt trigger system. Any input specific to colt. Both your suggestions sound like a good do it before you assemble it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:39:39 PM EST
For around $10, you can get a reduced power trigger spring from JP Enterprises (jpar15.com).
View Quote
Brownells ([url]www.brownells.com[/url]) also sells this spring from JP. It's $9.95, and the part number is 452-000-007. Just mentioning it in case you want to save on shipping by buying other needed parts (doesn't everyone need something from Brownells?) at the same time. Have any of you guys had trouble with misfires with some of the harder military primers with this reduced power trigger spring?z
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:49:57 PM EST
Zoom, I've used Q3131A, Lake City, and Black Hills without a hiccup. PbRx
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:27:14 PM EST
Whatever you do, don't take a Dremel to your disconnector or hammer hoping to "lighten" thing up. The tolerance are too close on ARs and you can cause really bad (like exploding rifle-type) troubles. If it bothers you that much, buy one of the many after market triggers available out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:09:50 AM EST
A dremel is fine to POLISH the engagement surfaces, just keep them little grinding wheels AWAY! I have never seen any dremel induced rifle explosions, I have seen a couple of dremel induced "barf the mag" type malfs, which are every bit as dangerous. Unexpected, uncontrolled FA is a bad thing. You really can tune up the trigger yourself, just go slow and be prepared to replace a part or two if you go too far, there is a learning curve. Q
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:33:31 AM EST
Zoom, I did the D.I.Y. Trigger Job on my Bushy. I've shot about 1500 rounds of XM193 and had only one FTF, but I'm positive it was not due to a light strike.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:40:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Q-Ball: A dremel is fine to POLISH the engagement surfaces, just keep them little grinding wheels AWAY! I have never seen any dremel induced rifle explosions, I have seen a couple of dremel induced "barf the mag" type malfs, which are every bit as dangerous. Unexpected, uncontrolled FA is a bad thing. You really can tune up the trigger yourself, just go slow and be prepared to replace a part or two if you go too far, there is a learning curve. Q
View Quote
Exactly my point. Untimed FA=Out of battery ignition=high risk of KB. At armorer's school they highly stressed that you should never try and polish these parts and if you wanted smoother triggers, buy a reputable aftermarket kit. The AR's triggers are designed for reliable use in the field and are built with certain amount of "slop."
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:17:44 AM EST
The reason the "15 Minute Practical Trigger Job" works so well is that it does not damage the sear surfaces by over polishing. A Dremel can quickly damage those surfaces, and besides, you can't see where it really needs polishing. The method I describe in that article smooths off any tiny high spots, with no chance of damaging the hammer and trigger. PLUS, there is still full sear engagement. This is not a "hair trigger" job. The spring modifications, well, in over 10 years I just have not had a problem of any sort due to that.
Top Top