BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/28/2004 9:39:04 AM EDT
I bought a ratcheting lever from T-nuts.com, removed the inner nut and the knurled nut from my Harris bipod, cut about 1/8" off the protruding stud to give me a Pod-Loc for a fraction of the cost.  I think I paid $4.24 for the lever, shipping included.  Here's a link:

t-nuts.com/product_info.php/cPath/48_52_54/products_id/128

Make sure to specify the 10-32 size.

I hope this is helpful to others...

SAB
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds great, what protruding stud did you cut?  can you post pics of what you did, thanks

txl
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I was reluctant to start a thread like this because I didn't want to step on the EE dealers toes.  I researched out the handles and I purchased two from a different company for right under $5 each.  They will be here on Thursday.  

It does appear that you have to cut the 10-32 screw on the bipod as it is a little long for the handle.  It should work great, and it is black oxide steel components so it should match our ARs nicely!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Tagged for evaluation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
interesting, any pics of ur setup ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tagged for evaluation.

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered 4, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
4 for me as well..came up to $13 shipping included..good deal !!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered up four myself.  I always wanted to get a Pod-loc, but never did.  Mostly because they are $21 for a small plastic handle.....

And if it doesn't work out, I'm out $13.....

ETA:  I bet the guy who owns the business is wondering why there is a flood of orders for these things now....
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It should work out perfect!!!

All your doing is replacing a thumb type nut with a lever type ratcheting nut!!!  It is common sense, and I wonder why someone else didn't notice this was an over the counter item.  I am a newbie, and I noticed it right away.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ETA:  I bet the guy who owns the business is wondering why there is a flood of orders for these things now....

Just got an email from Jeff (owns T-Nuts.)  He said his inventory has been sucked up by all of us here at AR15.com!  So he knows where all the biz is coming from.  He is reordering and should have more stock in next week.  My order is on the back order list until then.  I'm very impressed with the customer service so far.

And we got a plug on his website now too!  I love it....
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got an email from Jeff (owns T-Nuts.)  He said his inventory has been sucked up by all of us here at AR15.com!  So he knows where all the biz is coming from.  He is reordering and should have more stock in next week.  My order is on the back order list until then.  I'm very impressed with the customer service so far.

And we got a plug on his website now too!  I love it....

ditto, got the same email from Jeff as well ..lol.. seems to have a great customer service too....
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Tagged
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]
WTF is a pod-lock?
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Well here you go boys!!!
Another source that has 79 in stock.

www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=03781077

Hope that help, but it may hurt some who charge more.
There are Stainless Steel verison of the same thing with Zine Die Cast Handles if you wan to pay a little more $13.10ish.

Die Cast and Black Steel for 5.31ish
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit that IS a podlock.  I'll bet they are just repackaged and resold.  Looks JUST LIKE my podlock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Shit that IS a podlock.  I'll bet they are just repackaged and resold.  Looks JUST LIKE my podlock.

Did your pod-loc come with a spacer or something?
Did you have to cut down your bipod swivel screw?
As the handle won't fit unless you use a spacer or cut your screw.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are some answers to questions that have been posted:

Q: What protruding stud did you cut?
A: The one that the locking knob screws onto and the cradle pivots on.  Look here:

Q: Can you post pics of what you did?
A: Unfortunately, I can't.  Maybe someone else can?

Q: Aren't you afraid of "stepping on the EE dealers' toes"?
A: I'm not profitting from my post, so I don't feel bad.

Q: I bet the guy who owns the business is wondering why there is a flood of orders for these things now....
A: I let him know that I'd be posting before I did so.  I was very impressed with his customer service.

Q: WTF is a pod-lock?
A: www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/PodLoc.asp

Q: Did your pod-loc come with a spacer or something?
A: The Pod-Loc comes with a spacer, which allows installation without having to cut the pivot screw.  If you don't want to cut your screw, buy a Pod-Loc (or make a spacer if you have access to a lathe).

Q: Where else can I buy one of these levers?
A: There are many sources, but I spent several hours scouring the Internet before stumbling onto T-nuts.com.  They have the lowest price for the part, AND the lowest price for shipping that I've found.  Plus, their customer service flat out ROCKS!

HTH,
SAB
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I think i'll pop out a few spacers tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#21]
n/m
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Metal ones identical to the plastic ones are only $4.40 each:

t-nuts.com/product_info.php/cPath/48_51_57/products_id/143

SAB
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]
HHmmm...wonder if I can use a hard rubber washer or hard plastic washer as a spacer. I don't have access to a machine shop.

Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well here you go boys!!!

There are Stainless Steel verison of the same thing with Zine Die Cast Handles if you wan to pay a little more $13.10ish.

t-nuts has the exact same ones for $2.75 instead of $4.86 !!!!..that's hecka cheap...now I need to find those spacers...pod locks here I am !!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yup... that frustrates me...

Ok, the real winner will be the guy who finds the cheap source for the spacer to alleviate the need to cut the bipod.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup... that frustrates me...

Ok, the real winner will be the guy who finds the cheap source for the spacer to alleviate the need to cut the bipod.

ditto...I already ordered my 4 podlocks..now I need the spacers...woo woo..and 400 posts
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well here you go boys!!!

t-nuts has the exact same ones for $2.75 instead of $4.86 !!!!..that's hecka cheap...now I need to find those spacers...pod locks here I am !!!!!!

Yeah that is correct, but I didn't spend more that 10 minutes finding this handle in the MCS Big Book Catalog.  Also MCS price was 1/4 that of a Pod-Loc so I didn't feel like I should waist anymore time searching for a better price.  Furthermore at less than $5 each, I didn't even think it could get much cheaper.  AND finally my company paid for mine so my cost was $0.00, and I do have a lathe so I might pop out a titanium spacer!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Well mine came in today from MSC, and it works great!!!!

Yes it is a plastic handle but it torques down nice-much better than that knurled nut.

I was either too lazy or too impatient to make a spacer and just wipped out the dremel and hacked about 3/16" off, and installed the handle.

I am happy!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well mine came in today from MSC, and it works great!!!!

Yes it is a plastic handle but it torques down nice-much better than that knurled nut.

I was either too lazy or too impatient to make a spacer and just wipped out the dremel and hacked about 3/16" off, and installed the handle.

I am happy!

that's what I'm calling fast shipping :)...u should start the lathe and manufacture some spacers for us poor arfcomers
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

that's what I'm calling fast shipping :)...u should start the lathe and manufacture some spacers for us poor arfcomers

Yes you should!  Sounds like we need a 3/16" spacer, but I wonder what diameter it should be?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah I could make some...  If you guys really don't want to cut the screw.

The dimensions should be:

0.200" ID (0.015" play)
0.375" OD (handle has a 0.391 OD, but 3/8" is common bar stock)
0.188" L

Making little spacer on a manual lathe isn't something that happens real quick

Try this goto mscdirect.com and plug in 67713503

That is a 3/8" OD Spacer for a #10 screw and it is 3/16" long.  BAG of 25 at $1.48 each!!!

Look at that a complete pod-loc for under $6.00!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#32]
that looks like what we need :)

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Haha, you can start a group buy!!! All you need is 25 orders
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey guys. I'm the one who SAB and some of the rest of you got the little levers from. On the forums I visit, they refer to me as T-Nuts Jeff, or some just call me 'Nut.

Scott did warn me about the orders coming in, but I didn't expect them to come so quick, so I have a bunch on order and they should be in Monday. As for the same stuff at MSC, yes it is the same, comes from the same manufacturer, only I'm cheaper 'cuz I have almost no overhead.  I also have the stainless and zinc handles and others, no doubt you've seen it if you went to my t-nuts site.

Funny, after looking at the knurled nut pic that SAB posted, that little nut looks like a one I got a bunch of for free from my machinist. They are scope parts that didn't get used, made of stainless.  I'm wondering if they are the same.

If you guys ever need anything nut or lever -ish, I might be able to help, just drop me an email or such.  Happy to help.

Still don't know what a pod-loc is, though... hinking.gifMight be able to get y'all some levers that don't need spacers...maybe a longer barrel? I'll check.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#35]

guys,

order this stuff from T-nut above -- talk about a guy stepping up to the plate!!!

ar-jedi

ps:
that said, i ordered the spacers (stainless steel type) from MSC; they come in a pack of 25.  they should be here in the PM on thursday 30 dec 2004.  if anyone wants one, well, i think the best way might be to paypal me 0.50 to cover the cost of the envelope and the stamp.  naah, that sucks.  send me a SASE maybe?  oh wait, stop being cheap -- order the things already, it's $1.48 -- think about how much you've spent on ARMS stuff (including the ARMS #32 this handle/spacer is going on) and cough up the buck and half plus shipping.   :)

seriously though if anyone wants a spacer just IM me.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
guys,

order this stuff from T-nut above -- talk about a guy stepping up to the plate!!!

ar-jedi

ps:
that said, i ordered the spacers (stainless steel type) from MSC; they come in a pack of 25.  they should be here in the PM on thursday 30 dec 2004.  if anyone wants one, well, i think the best way might be to paypal me 0.50 to cover the cost of the envelope and the stamp.  naah, that sucks.  send me a SASE maybe?  oh wait, stop being cheap -- order the things already, it's $1.48 -- think about how much you've spent on ARMS stuff (including the ARMS #32 this handle/spacer is going on) and cough up the buck and half plus shipping.   :)

seriously though if anyone wants a spacer just IM me.

ar-jedi

check ur IM
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

0.200" ID (0.015" play)
0.188" L

That is a 3/8" OD Spacer for a #10 screw and it is 3/16" long.  BAG of 25 at $1.48 each!!!

Are you sure that is the right price?  I just logged in and it says $1.48 EACH for quantity 1 through 24.  I don't think you get a bag of 25 spacers for $1.48, but ONE spacer for $1.48.  Still not a bad price though....

I ordered 4 spacers.  Jumped on it before the rest of you yayhoos run out the stock...
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#38]
check the 2nd column in the PDF of the catalog page, it shows qty 25 pack.  

if that info proves wrong well then i respectfully retract my offer above!!!

ar-jedi.

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

ar-jedi.

Well shit, then I might have  100 spacers coming!  D'oh!  I guess we'll see in a few days time...

We need to delete this thread NOW!  Imagine the killing we could make in the EE selling our version of the pod-loc for $10 plus shipping!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi.

Well shit, then I might have  100 spacers coming!  D'oh!  I guess we'll see in a few days time....

lol...that would be funny
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Laugh it up buddy boy!  Your spacer will cost you dearly for that!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

agreed .  

ps: i work in manufacturing.  even at $1.48/25 or $0.06 each, they (=some far east manufacturing concern) are still making a profit.  once you have the machine and tooling set up, these things fall out like raindrops from the sky.  you make a 100K or a quarter million at a time; it takes far longer to package them than to actually make them.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm curious as to why some of you don't want to cut the stud instead of using a spacer?  Adding the spacer is just added weight, ugliness, and clutter.  Cutting the stud is a five-minute task with a Dremel.  I even blued the cut end (I always have cold blue around for projects like that) in that five minutes.

I'm telling ya' - just cut the screw and be done with it!  You'll be happy you did

Later,
SAB
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I ordered mine.  I only worry that I could booger up the threads with my dremel.   Oh well, no guts no glory.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#45]
The resoures here are outstanding.
Great work on finding the right deal when others are needing a better lever.

With that said, if a shooter leaves the bi-pod off and learns to shoot off a ruck or some other rest other than pods and bags we may once again become a nation of riflemen.

My statement isn't a condemation just a hope for the future.....

mark
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Mark:

Blaming our use of bipods for the decline of marksmanship skills in the US is a major oversimplification!  And please don't turn this DIY/informational thread into a political debate.  If you want to have a political debate, please start your own thread!

SAB
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

0.200" ID (0.015" play)
0.188" L

Are you sure that is the right price?  I just logged in and it says $1.48 EACH for quantity 1 through 24.  I don't think you get a bag of 25 spacers for $1.48, but ONE spacer for $1.48.  Still not a bad price though....

I ordered 4 spacers.  Jumped on it before the rest of you yayhoos run out the stock...

Yeah the price is right (I wasn't as clear as I should have been), the package quantity is 25 (I don't think they will break the package) but they are 1.48 for each space which means 25x1.48=$37.00.  Sorry about the confusion.  If you order 4 they you will get 100, but you should have seen the mistake on the confirmation pages when you placed the order.

Eitherway you should be able to dump 96 spacers here on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The resoures here are outstanding.
Great work on finding the right deal when others are needing a better lever.

With that said, if a shooter leaves the bi-pod off and learns to shoot off a ruck or some other rest other than pods and bags we may once again become a nation of riflemen.

My statement isn't a condemation just a hope for the future.....

mark

Your statement by it's very wording IS a condemnation.  I guess all those soldiers in IRAQ using SPRs are just fucking stupid right?  A bipod is a tool just like anything else.  Just 'cause you use one doesn't mean you can't shoot off something else (or nothing at all).
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yeah the price is right (I wasn't as clear as I should have been), the package quantity is 25 (I don't think they will break the package) but they are 1.48 for each space which means 25x1.48=$37.00.  Sorry about the confusion.  If you order 4 they you will get 100, but you should have seen the mistake on the confirmation pages when you placed the order.

Eitherway you should be able to dump 96 spacers here on AR15.com.

My checkout total was $6, not including shipping and taxes.  I definitely would have noticed if the total was way off....
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Scott,

Looks good.  Sounds like they may break packages, then.

Your good to go, and that is good to know for the other guys scared of cutting their screws!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top