Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/3/2006 3:46:20 PM EDT
I'm looking for a barrel for my next project and can't find the info I'm looking for. If this info is posted someplace else, please point me there.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two barreles would be or the advantage of one over the other. This would be mainly for shtf, paper killing etc.

The 11.5" w/ perm attach 5.5" FS ($240.00)

and

The 14.5" w/ perm attach FH ($225.00)

These two are from BM, if I can find the same thing cheaper somplace else, I'll go there.

Any input is welcome.
Thanks,

Gene
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:57:47 PM EDT
Well, the first one is just an 11.5" barrel, the 5.5" flash hider is for looks and will not give you any ballistic help. The other is a 14.5" so you'll have higher velocity, greater range and some degree of advantage in overall reliability because the muzzle is much further from the gas port than on the 11.5".

The 14.5 will give you much better performance all around and since the 11.5" is STILL 16" with the flash hider, there's no advantage to the short barrel other than looks.

Up to you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:03:59 PM EDT

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two barreles

Barrel on top is an HBAR the bottom is not!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:13:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:15:52 PM EDT
Depending on what you are looking to do with it, you could pick up one of the nice SS barrels for a little more....

Otherwise, I would go with the M4 out of those two choices (unless I was going retro).
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:17:09 PM EDT
in my ever-so-humble-yet-always-correct here opinion.

Bobby
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:23:22 PM EDT
Bobby, you are correct with all statements but one. Short barrels are no less inherently accurate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:25:16 PM EDT
Just get a 16" barrel. Perm attached fh's are a pain in the dick.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:32:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By h8mtv:
Just get a 16" barrel. Perm attached fh's are a pain in the dick.

Yes, you can say that again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:57:07 PM EDT

Perm attached fh's are a pain in the dick.

Maybe you are holding it wrong
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:10:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hayseed_40:

Perm attached fh's are a pain in the dick.

Maybe you are holding it wrong

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:40:36 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info. I was leaning towards the 14.5, but was unsure about the 5.5 on the 11.5. didn't know how it affected accuracy. (yes I'm a noob who is still learning).

Just out of curiosity, why is / are pinned FH's a "pain in the dick"? Is it because you are stuck with your original choice, or are there other concerns? I was hoping to keep the whole thing right at 16", but if it's worth it to go with a 16" barrel, then I will.

Thanks again.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:00:14 PM EDT
If you decide you want to free float it, change muzzle accessory, etc. You will.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:03:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GENESMITH:
Thanks for all the info. I was leaning towards the 14.5, but was unsure about the 5.5 on the 11.5. didn't know how it affected accuracy. (yes I'm a noob who is still learning).

Within the effective range of the 5.56mm round, an 11.5" bbl will be just as accurate as a 14.5", all things being equal of course.

It's a common myth that longer bbls are more accurate than shorter bbls but's it's not that simple. I don't want to derail your post so that's all I will say about it here.

Just out of curiosity, why is / are pinned FH's a "pain in the dick"? Is it because you are stuck with your original choice, or are there other concerns? I was hoping to keep the whole thing right at 16", but if it's worth it to go with a 16" barrel, then I will.
The only reason a pinned FH is a pain in the butt is because if you will have the FH "removed" (destroyed) if you want to install certain accessories like a 1 piece FF rail system, a flip-up front sight or a different flash suppressor. Other than that, they're fine.

The one thing to consider is since you are a self-admitted n00b, you may end up want to try out different things on your ARs. If you have a pinned FH, it's going to cost more money or take more time to deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:04:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bobarino:
in my ever-so-humble-yet-always-correct opinion, there aren't any advangates to the 11.5 inch barrel. they're louder, less accruate, lower velocity, decreased effective range, and seemingly more prone to problems. since you're limited to 16 inches total length anyway, might as well use as much of that 16" as possible. just an ever-so-humble-yet-always-correct opinion.

Bobby

See my other post Bobby. An 11.5" bbl is not less accurate than a 14.5".
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:41:07 AM EDT
Matt,
Thanks for info. It's always nice when you have several well-respected members give you advice.
I guess my main goal is to be able to modify this rifle in the future, so going with a perm FH of any length seems to be a bad idea right now. As Stickman stated, for a few more dollars I can get a nice SS barrel. I know Denny has some stuff, I'll take a look at what he has.

Thanks again for all the good input.

Gene
Top Top